Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Bike Camping

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:44 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Here's my $.02 based on years on wilderness canoe camping and some winter camping in single digits. Comfort is #1. If you're not dry and warm, you're miserable. If you're too warm you can compensate, if you're too cold or wet there isn't much you can do ..

I take a lightweight nylon bag and one of those $12 fleece sleepling bags - both compress into small packages. They also pack easier than 1 larger bag. It gives you options for different temps by using them individually or together. The more insulation between you and the ground = warmer you. I use a 4" Cabelas self inflating mattress and sleep very comfortably. It is bigger than the others but is far more comfortable.

Good advise above on the tent suggestions. I have one with a vestibule - stuff stays out of the rain without making a mess inside the tent. A tent with a mesh ceiling and fly will help you stay drier in humid conditions. For quick and easy breakfasts boiling water for coffee, hot chocolate or oatmeal works great and it's easy to pack and carry.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:50 PM
khyber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option and it keeps you off the ground; a hammock. I use a Clark North American. This hammock, along with a Thermarest inflating pad and a good down bag, will keep you comfortable even down in the 'teens. The hammock can also be set up on the deck if you have nothing to tie off on. With the fly on top and storage compartments underneath, no worries about rain. Attached some pics from the Appalchian Trail. Total weight, about 7 lbs.; if you add a closed cell pad, another lb. or 2, it's even more plush. The hammock makes a great chair too.

Attached Thumbnails Advice on Bike Camping-imgp2371.jpg   Advice on Bike Camping-imgp2372.jpg   Advice on Bike Camping-img_0874.jpg   Advice on Bike Camping-img_0877.jpg  
Old 12-27-2008, 02:05 AM
D2R
Banned
Exclamation Spring Time in the Rockies!

mhud,Don't know where your destination is but take heed. I made a loop from western Wyoming to Lead SD to Bismark ND to Missoula Mt.and back home to Wy. the first week of last June. I got laid up in Belgrade Mt. for a day waiting for the snow plows to open up Bozeman Pass on I90. Ran into a poor soul from Texas buying all the cold weather gear he could carry out the door. His trip to Glacier Park was ruined because of a rock slide ,so he thought he'd make the best of it and go over Bear Tooth Pass and Chief Joseph Highway. Sadly they were closed also.The storm only lasted a couple of days.By the time I got to Missoula it was 75 deg. and sunny. I've got an "Alpine Design" 2 man tent I've used for 3 years completely water proof with a good rain fly.My Coleman double air mattress fits perfectly.I have a 10 deg. mummy bag I paid a 100$ for.Heavy weight Under Armor,good rain gear,elec. gloves and vest,blanket lined levis,and chaps go with me pretty much year around here. I hit a snow storm in Laramie Wy. last Sept. coming back from Milwaukee.+1 on the led light and nylon stuff bags.I also found that leaving the "tightie whities at home and packing all colored stuff saves time and money in the laundry mat. One load and you're done. I've learned one thing over the years out here. Be prepared for anything.RIDE SAFE!

Old 12-27-2008, 06:01 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

Some very good advice so far. And for anyone who has not camped on a bike trip...do it! It's great.

Lots of tips here but these are most important to me:

-Inflatable mattresses work great.

-I'm moving up to a larger tent. At least a four man, so I can stand up in it. Didn't like bending over while getting dressed, etc.

-Bring a tarp to go underneath the tent. Much drier in case of the R word.

-Zip lock bags in various sizes. They keep personal items dry from the water and organize things. Invaluable in my opinion.

-Zip ties. This handy, simple invention has an endless number of uses. I keep a bunch in my saddlebags all the time.

Someone mentioned how you meet interesting people. How true. A couple from Germany camped next to us last May. What a great evening by the campfire, drinking some wine, and discussing anything and everything.

Camping on a motorcycle is one of the truly great pleasures there is to experience.

Last edited by AZ Rider; 12-27-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like to carry a collapsible chair. It's nice to have an option other than standing up or sitting on the ground. As far as "how to" carry it, I used to put everything I could into a duffel bag. It's easier to bungee one big bag than a tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, etc etc seperately.

But if you're really going to get into camping, you should at least consider a trailer. I learned my lesson about riding a top heavy bike while attempting a slow speed U-turn outside Cody, Wyoming.

Last edited by Sharknose; 12-27-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:55 AM
merlin41
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should consider the Eureka Timberline tent. It is a nice size (fits inside tour box if you want). I use the 4 man version which is just right for 2 people and gear.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:50 AM
tn_chopper_man
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apache Instant Tents

I use the Apache Instant Tent...Check out the website
especially the video:
www.apachetents.com/

Old 12-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're tight for space, one of those thin self-inflating mattresses will work.

But if you have the packing room, just buy a regular $20 single air mattress. Then buy a small DC air pump for the mattress, add a weatherproof cigarette socket to your bike and you're in business. Every night will be like sleeping in a bed. Roll it up in the AM, throw it on the bike and you're good to go.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

I have a Coleman Exponent Back Pack tent, but have been looking for something with a little more room that could still be loaded on the bike. Went to the local Coleman Outlet Store last night and got one of these http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...tegoryid=31500

They are sold out on the web site and I got one of the last 2 they had at the store on after xmas clearence for $35.00. I think it is going to be just what I was looking for at a great price.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:34 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another option you can consider is www.koa.com. KOA's are all over the place. You can get a book to plan your route ahead. All most all KOA's have Kamping Kabins. You will find pictures at their website. All you need is your sleeping bag as they have thick matteresses. In the standard lay out there is one queen and two bunk beds. You will have electric,space heater and some with A/C. They cost more than tent camping but cheaper than most motels. Prices varies by location. They are very motorcycle friendly.

Quick Reply: Advice on Bike Camping