Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Electra Glide with 100,000 miles - would you buy it??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Sgt Mac
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at a few different places, 99-01 Ultra with roughly a third the miles (less than 34,000) of what you looking at are anywhere between $9,000-$13,000. $8500 seems a bit much with those miles, I'd have to pass. Just me though.

Where was your signature pic taken?

Old 01-22-2009, 08:16 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

buddy of mine pcked up a 96 ultra w50,000 for 6000 he had buddied up to the sales manager it came in for trade they gave it to him for same price.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:17 PM
desert-boater
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EVIL
Where was your signature pic taken?
Thanks for the input guys. Sig picture was taken at Monument Valley, border of Utah and Arizona...

Old 01-22-2009, 08:36 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,964 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Offer him $6500.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the swing arm for cracks, especially near the axle holes.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:58 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Depends on how far you want to travel to get a good deal. I found a few close to what the guy wants for his with about half the miles on them. I'd drive a ways to save 50K miles. Most of the really good deals I find hanging on bulletin boards at the local shops though. Remember there are a ton of bikers that still don't get into the whole internet thing all that much. Try local classifieds, cycle trader, and take a walk through the local shops and look at what their customers have for sale. A lot of bikers sell their scoots the old school way and that's where you'll likely find you best deal.

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...ASSIC-93853971

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...ASSIC-94102682

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...Glide-94383255

If you still want to take a look at the one offered to you, follow the advice of several above and take it to be inspected...the PO should understand. I have to agree with DAWG....if the bike is in good mechanical condition....about $6500. JMHO

The deals are out there, just have to sniff'em out.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:11 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

you can of course search for prices on ebay, cycletrader, chopperexchange, etc., but in case you're interested to do a multi-city search on craigslist, which is very hard to do using their site directly, try this: www.craigshelper.com

All you have to do is put in the key words like Harley Ultra, Ultra Classic, or whatever you find works best for you, and put in your zip code, drag the distance bar as far as you either feel is good to get prices, or as far as you're actually willing to look/buy a bike. I found this to be a great way to find a variety of prices and options on bikes.

Either visit that site often, or when I was shopping, I didn't usually shut my computer off every day, I just kept it open in a tab on my web browser, and minimized it, then I'd open it up and refresh the search. One thing I've learned w/ craigslist is if it IS a deal, it doesn't stay around long. Just like a house on the market. High asking prices sit and sit, if you're not looking all the time, you'll just see the same stuff getting reposted over and over, and maybe after a few months they'll lower they're asking price. The guys that want the bike SOLD, with have various levels of lower prices, depending how bad they want it sold. The really good deals can be gone in a day or two, I've seen it happen. In one case, I saw a low mileage RKC 03 anniversary w/ some stuff go for $12k, guy that bought it in just a couple days of posting, flipped it to a dealer, who tried to sell me the same bike, the same week for $16k.

Also, as for ebay, I took a lot of people's advice and searched regularly for the bikes I was interested in. And at first, I didn't care about how far away it was. I just saved the bikes to my favs to watch the item. Then, I'd see if it sold, and if for how much, or if it didn't sell, what kind of bids did it get, and did it get reposted, and then watch it again. Thing is, you're dealing w/ all sorts of individuals here, some that know how ebay works, and some who don't and just like CL, have various degrees of motivation. You'll see stuff that leaves you scratching your head, how did he get that much for that bike, and wow, I can't believe that bike went for that cheap. Sometimes you'll see similar things as CL, someone wanting to sell it right away, goes for less. Some that are patient, will post it for a week or so, and if it doesn't sell, see if someone that looked at it makes them a reasonable offer after the auction is over, which is another way to buy it. Then some will repost it, especially if they post it for a long time, it gets exposure, and then towards the end the bidding starts heating up, once enough people are interested in it. The bike I'm trying to buy right now ended up being found on ebay, but locally, I went to look at it, and the guy offered to take it off ebay, if we agreed on a price.

Anyway, I think you're right, even in down times you don't see touring bikes, especially full dressers, going for much less than $10k, but then again, I don't see that many older ones for sale either. I think people are keeping these, or trading them at the dealer or something. I feel like I see more 5-8 yo bikes for sale online than I do 9-15+ yo bikes, or maybe I'm just not looking for them.

That said, like someone said, if you can see a fair number of bikes w/ 30-50k miles for $10-$13k in pretty good shape, how much should one be worth w/ 100k on it? And if you look hard enough, how low can you get one of those bikes w/ half as many miles, and how much is it worth to you, which is the bottom line, do you want a bike w/ 100k on it, assuming it all checks out? If so, how much is it worth to you? It's good to know the values of the bikes, but that doesn't mean much if you're expectations are not the same as the market. In other words, what if the bike was worth $8500, but you really wanted something w/ 1/2 as many miles, then it might not be worth $8500 to you, maybe it's worth $5k to you, so you figure offer him $5k or walk away.... just as an example, not claiming I know what it's worth...

Good luck. It can be tedious shopping for the RIGHT bike. I'm hoping I'm at the end of that search myself.

Last edited by karz10; 01-23-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:29 AM
cdale976
Road Master

my dealer just sold a 2000 roadking with 106,000 on it for 9600.00
engine was split checked and back together by dealer sold in 3 days after hittin floor.
Bro at work just bought a 99 ultra with 87000 on it for 7800.00. real nice runner. guy that had it took damn good care of it.
guess its all about what you want......my neighbor rides a 98 ultra with 145000 on it no issues had it since day one

Old 01-23-2009, 02:03 AM
stu07hd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a bunch of miles for any twin-cam. I have heard many times that they are good for 100,000 before any major motor work. Maybe it has been done??? If it were me, I would spend another 2 thousand dollars for one with less than half of the miles.

That being said, if it was well taken care of it may have a lot of more miles left in it. I would rather have a bike that had that many miles that has been taken care of than one with 25000 that hadnt been properly maintained.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:41 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

I talked to a guy yesterday, having a reman. engine put in his 2000 road King. About $2100. He just bought the bike 3 weeks ago for an individual, no warrenty.

Quick Reply: 2000 Electra Glide with 100,000 miles - would you buy it??