Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone agree, Conventional Trans Lube is better then Full Synthetic Trans Lube

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:39 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by gmurdock
Mine is shifting hard especially after the 1000 mile check up. Took it back to the dealer they called HD & they said it was because I am using they syn. Next time to switch to a higher synthetic gear oil in your 6-speed tranny? Next week it goes back for the 2500 oil change & they are going to change the tranny fluid then. Makes no seance to do what HD says & upgrade to they synthetic then have problems with it? I am going to see id they will put it in writting (ya right)
Try Redline or Amsoil. Both work great.

Last edited by jpooch00; 02-17-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:30 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 636 Likes on 507 Posts

golden specta came out with a gear lube thats advertised as 'designed for the cruisedrive trans' havent tryed it benn too happy with amsoil.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:43 PM
malmax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to try amsoil in all holes this spring...read an independent review and amsoil came out on top

Old 02-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Skivvy9r
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraTheo
Redline Heavy Shockproof. You will never go back to anything else.
I know Shockproof Heavy has a lot of fans around here and I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but it just doesn't make any sense to me to use a gear lubricant with solid particles deliberately added, microscopic or otherwise. It reminds me of the Slick50 gimmick with the Teflon. I'm sure it's safe; everyone who uses it raves about the results. For me, I'll stick to the liquid-only gear oils.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 273 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasSG
Put Redline in mine at 1k. The first gear engagement at idle "CLUNK" is less, the 5th gear whine is all but gone and shifting seems normal. What kind of shifting problems are you having?
I run Amsoil synthetic ATF in my primary and it doesn't make a noise going into gear. Redline shock proof in tranny. IDS has been in the box for a year and will probably stay there. Maybe I'm lucky but my bike is smooth running and shifting with synthetic. As a side note my oil temp dropped 15 degrees with Amsoil synthetic in engine.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:03 PM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garyhendley
if you go to amsoils website they have documented testing results of all the

syns and oils and the only one that comes close is moble 1 harley syn 3 is not

even close-ride safe
Did they test Redline Shockproof Heavy, I suspect not.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:17 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBill2566
Did they test Redline Shockproof Heavy, I suspect not.
I think he's talking about the famous Amsoil "White Paper" that's being touted as an independent test when it clearly is not. Amsoil is a fine oil, not objectively better than anything else overall, but some have elevated it to a religious icon. That test I presume he's referring to was on motor oils, not gear oil, and was financed, sanctioned, and defined by Amsoil. I've challenged Gary to give reference to his claims but have yet to hear from him.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:22 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by malmax
I am going to try amsoil in all holes this spring...read an independent review and amsoil came out on top
Was this the Amsoil "White Paper"? If so, it is not an independent test. If not, could you provide a link?

Anyone who wants to view truly independent tests, there have been three that I'm aware of conducted by motorcycle magazines: American Iron, Motorcycle Consumer News, and Quick Throttle.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:26 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Skivvy9r
I know Shockproof Heavy has a lot of fans around here and I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but it just doesn't make any sense to me to use a gear lubricant with solid particles deliberately added, microscopic or otherwise. It reminds me of the Slick50 gimmick with the Teflon. I'm sure it's safe; everyone who uses it raves about the results. For me, I'll stick to the liquid-only gear oils.
What solids are you referring to? Moly? If so, it isn't really a solid, per se, and isn't even large enough consistency to be captured by oil filters. Further, moly is used in almost every major brand of synthetic motor oil, Amsoil and Syn3 being the only exceptions I'm aware of. Anyway, solid lubricants are appropriate for a tranny because there is no filtration.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Skivvy9r
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
What solids are you referring to? Moly? If so, it isn't really a solid, per se, and isn't even large enough consistency to be captured by oil filters. Further, moly is used in almost every major brand of synthetic motor oil, Amsoil and Syn3 being the only exceptions I'm aware of. Anyway, solid lubricants are appropriate for a tranny because there is no filtration.
From Redline's website: "A unique lubricant containing a suspension of solid microscopic particles as an extreme pressure agent--unique solid dispersion which cushions gear teeth to help prevent tooth breakage and allows the use of lower viscosities."

Like I said, many are happy, it's just not for me.

Quick Reply: Does anyone agree, Conventional Trans Lube is better then Full Synthetic Trans Lube