Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PC-V Problem 2008 FLHTCU Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:29 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=JustDennis;4713760]
Originally Posted by papifun

The instructions that came with the kit from Jamie were quite good with lots of pictures. There really is nothing to it. Just plug and play pretty much.
thanks. wasnt sure what is included when u order a PCV 5 other than CD and PCV box and usb cable.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:02 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis
I installed the PCV on my 08 EGS. There seemed to be plenty of room on my bike. The PCV is a pretty small unit. The only thing I noticed that could be described as tight is when you remove the battery to route the cable from the ECM to the right side panel. The cable is short and you have just enough room to reroute and reinstall the battery. After that, it fit right in. My bike doesn't have ABS though. I followed the instructions that Jamie sent for my bike. They looked like they were put together for the 08. Here's a picture just after I connected everything.
Man, you have a cavernous area behind that right side cover! Here's mine installed under the right side cover with the two AT modules. One module is hidden where the siren normally goes. Not much room to spare and I had to do some creative moving around to get it all to fit, that in addition to a Radio Shack siren. BTW, my ECM is under the PCV.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:10 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

It was easy. That cable is a USB cable. I connected the supplied cable to the PCV and temporarily routed it up under the seat and to my right saddlebag. That way I can quickly open the bag, connect my laptop and look at the data from the PCV. I was checking the engine temp after various rides. Once I get tired of tinkering, I will just unhook it but for now it is very easy to connect the PCV to the laptop without removing the side cover.
I also have a USB cable connected to the PCV and routed into the right saddlebag-guard bag. It is invisible and I can just open the bag to retrieve the cable. I do so much fiddling around with the map, especially since making a cam change last week, that removing the saddlebag, guard bag, and side cover is too much trouble. I like the quick access and don't plan on removing the cable.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:07 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I also have a USB cable connected to the PCV and routed into the right saddlebag-guard bag. It is invisible and I can just open the bag to retrieve the cable. I do so much fiddling around with the map, especially since making a cam change last week, that removing the saddlebag, guard bag, and side cover is too much trouble. I like the quick access and don't plan on removing the cable.
I have my USB cable coiled up under the seat. My seat has a thumb screw and only takes a second to remove. Since the 09 SG's dont have saddlebag guard rails I can't add a bag there for it. But it is accessible and works fine for me under the seat.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:09 AM
drive2live2ride
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=papifun;4714308]

thanks. wasnt sure what is included when u order a PCV 5 other than CD and PCV box and usb cable.
FYI, I just installed pc v with auto tune on 2008 FLHX with ABS and the install is different for an ABS model. No room under the right side cover, so every thing has to go under the seat and under left side cover. On my bike, the battery cover which also holds the ECM, had to be modified by cutting off the corner of the cover. The corner which covers the positive battery post. This is to make room in the only space available for the connector. I installed after business hours and did this mod on my own without advice from fuel moto. When I called the next day, Keith at fuel moto said that is exactly what he does on the retro (ABS) installs.

All in all I am happy with the install and have pictures, but won't be able to post them until tomorrow evening. Also, if you are installing auto tune, be aware that the wide band O2 sensors that come with the auto tune are longer than the factory sensors. Check your clearance on the factory sensors and make sure you have room for another half inch or so. I have dresser duals and the rear sensor touches the tranny cover below the pipe. I post pics of that too, just give me a day or so.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:24 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

drive2live2ride, pics would be great. Sounds like you have the install figured out for the rest of us!

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2009, 06:43 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I think I am going to order the Autotune. I don't know where those modules fit yet so we will see

Old 03-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Magos
Tourer

I installed my PC-V (08 FLHX) without the AutoTune and had no issues. The bike seems to drink up fuel (Highway @ 75mph or so) but does have some extra kick to it. I also have ABS so the install was limited to under the seat. I still need to get it right where I want it, but all went well. I'm curious to see if HawgDog08 installed the O2 Sensor bypasses and made sure the maxi fuse was pulled. I like to do what so I know there isn't a charge. Also, I learned that the bike seems to work better when I use the kill switch to turn it off. Not sure EXACTLY why that is, but I have a hunch. Anyhow, good luck and I'll look forward to the progress...

Old 03-17-2009, 09:55 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=drive2live2ride;4717087]
Originally Posted by papifun

FYI, I just installed pc v with auto tune on 2008 FLHX with ABS and the install is different for an ABS model. No room under the right side cover, so every thing has to go under the seat and under left side cover. On my bike, the battery cover which also holds the ECM, had to be modified by cutting off the corner of the cover. The corner which covers the positive battery post. This is to make room in the only space available for the connector. I installed after business hours and did this mod on my own without advice from fuel moto. When I called the next day, Keith at fuel moto said that is exactly what he does on the retro (ABS) installs.

All in all I am happy with the install and have pictures, but won't be able to post them until tomorrow evening. Also, if you are installing auto tune, be aware that the wide band O2 sensors that come with the auto tune are longer than the factory sensors. Check your clearance on the factory sensors and make sure you have room for another half inch or so. I have dresser duals and the rear sensor touches the tranny cover below the pipe. I post pics of that too, just give me a day or so.

id like also to see the photos since my scoot also has ABS.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:12 PM
HogDawg08
6th Gear

I finally got out tonight and took a short ride after what seems like a week of rain. If the weekend weather cooperates, I'll get 100 miles or so in and see how it does. First impression was positive. Loved the sound of the monster ovals (real deep but not noticeably louder than stock) and acceleration was improved. I'll also try to get some pics this weekend. With ABS there is no room under the side cover so everything is under the seat. As someone else mentioned, I did have to modify the ECM tray by cutting the left front lip off. It was the only way I could get it to sit down far enough to get the seat back on. Even with this modification, the ECM connection still sits high enough that getting the seat back on take some time and effort. The space in front of the battery is tight and there are several wiring harnesses there that limit how far down the connection will go. I think this is where my problem was at when I had the starting issues. I suspect in trying to force it down, I somehow separated the connection enough to cause a problem. Long term, I still have some concern with how tight this is. I worried about chaffing the wiring harness underneath, or the ECM connector cracking as it ages due to the stress of being crammed in there.

More to follow after I get some pictures and put some miles on it this weekend.

Quick Reply: PC-V Problem 2008 FLHTCU Help Needed