Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions: HD Fairing Lowers on Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Impressions: HD Fairing Lowers on Road Glide

Just finished a 400 mile trip with my new HD fairing lowers and thought I would offer some impressions.

Man, these things were expensive! $660 from my local dealer, and they want $320 for the glove boxes - those will have to wait until NEXT tax refund!

Install was easy, but each is shaped slightly different than the other, so when you stand over the tank and look at the top of the lowers one appears to sit back a bit further than the other. Comments from six other owners seem to indicate that this is intentional and not the result of incorrect installation. Makes me wonder why.... my dealer didn't have a clue and had never noticed it before. In any event, they mounted quickly and without drama.

Took me a while to get used to where to place my foot on the footboards. The edge of the lowers infringe on the leading edge of the footboards, so my sloppy mounting style had me panicky for a while as the toe of my boot got hung up on the side of the lower when putting my foot down at a stop or placing it on the footboard after getting underway. By the end of the day today, I had gotten accustomed to the new positioning.

The lowers definitely block most of the air that used to hit the toe of the boot and my shin. The outside edge of my trouser leg still catches some wind, but overall there is good protection. The most noticeable difference in wind is that now the inside of my arms do not catch any wind coming up from the sides of the tank. In the winter, even with my Gerbings jacket, the wind coming up the sides of the tank would make the inside of my arms cold. That's gone now.

Helmet buffeting is almost entirely gone. I used to get quite a bit of noise and buffeting, but now there is just some wind around the helmet. It's much more pleasant now. I actually rode with my half helmet for a bit yesterday and it was tolerable.

The lowers seem to reflect a little more engine noise than without them, but it could be that I'm just hearing better now that most of the wind noise and buffeting is gone.

So I am pleased. They look pretty good, too. It will be interesting to see if I can stand them in the heat of the summer...

Last edited by Pastor John; 03-21-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:16 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The guy I bought my RG from had the lowers off and the first thing I did before I rode away was put the lowers on. They have not been off since. I use to have an Ultra before this so i am used to having them on all the time.

I did added floorboard extenders last Dec...that made a big difference in foot positioning. Two day ago add the EZ-Shift extended levers and wow...I know have a lot more room on my footboards. I think the EZ-Brake lever will be next.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

The lowers on a road glide are pretty much a necessity, without them the buffeting is intolerable i find. A windshield only does so much, particularily with a road glide, glad you like them Pastor John!

Old 03-20-2009, 10:31 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

I've had lowers on mine since it was brand new (5000 miles since Nov '08). Rode two RGs in the last two years w/o lowers (put ~ 1000 miles on a '08). I like the bike much better w/ the lowers. I think they look better w/ lowers as well.

It' starting to get warm here in North Texas. It was 85 last week - took a round trip ride to Amarillo, ~300 miles. It was a bit warm on the feet. Then I remebered today that there is and air baffle on the back of the fork assembly - took it off tonight. It will be 75 here on Saturday - I'll let you know if removing the baffle makes a difference. It only takes about 5 minutes to remove it.

Did you know they make a quick detach kit for the lowers? You guessed it = $99.95 - what a racket...

Last edited by boogiewithtuck; 03-20-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:53 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I leave mine on year round, once you get used to them it's hard to takem off! Heat isn't that bad if you have hiway pegs, look damn good on there by the way!

Old 03-20-2009, 11:02 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

I rode mine yesterday about 300 miles with the lowers installed in 85F weather. The fork baffle is also installed. The heat was pretty noticeable. It's really a shame they don't supply them with vents like the EG has. In any case I installed a set of Hoppe vents today so I'll see how they do on the next warm ride.

Marc

Old 03-20-2009, 11:22 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor John
Just finished a 400 mile trip with my new HD fairing lowers and thought I would offer some impressions.

Man, these things were expensive! $660 from my local dealer, and they want $320 for the glove boxes - those will have to wait until NEXT tax refund!

Install was easy, but each is shaped slightly different than the other, so when you stand over the tank and look at the top of the lowers one appears to sit back a bit further than the other. Comments from six other owners seem to indicate that this is intentional and not the result of incorrect installation. Makes me wonder why.... my dealer didn't have a clue and had never noticed it before. In any event, they mounted quickly and without drama.

Took me a while to get used to where to place my foot on the footboards. The edge of the lowers infringe on the leading edge of the footboards, so my sloppy mounting style had me panicky for a while as the toe of my boot got hung up on the side of the lower when putting my foot down at a stop or placing it on the footboard after getting underway. By the end of the day today, I had gotten accustomed to the new positioning.

They lowers definitely block most of the air that used to hit the toe of the boot and my shin. The outside edge of my trouser leg still catches some wind, but overall there is good protection. The most noticeable difference in wind is that now the inside of my arms do not catch any wind coming up from the sides of the tank. In the winter, even with my Gerbings jacket, the wind coming up the sides of the tank would make the inside of my arms cold. That's gone now.

Helmet buffeting is almost entirely gone. I used to get quite a bit of noise and buffeting, but now there is just some wind around the helmet. It's much more pleasant now. I actually rode with my half helmet for a bit yesterday and it was tolerable.

The lowers seem to reflect a little more engine noise than without them, but it could be that I'm just hearing better now that most of the wind noise and buffeting is gone.

So I am pleased. They look pretty good, too. It will be interesting to see if I can stand them in the heat of the summer...

Are your lowers adjustable? My '03 Ultra had fixed lowers and could no tbe adjusted. The newer one's, like those on my '08 are adjustable and can be opened and closed to control airflow.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:05 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Unfortunately the RG lowers aren't available vented.

Marc

Old 03-21-2009, 01:17 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love mine, just open the vents and the wings on the fairing in the summer here is NM and I'm fine. Just added the long angled hi-way pegs that wrap around the lowers. They are almost perfect ,heel on foortboard and foot on pegs. I'm gonna get the floorboard extensions and that should make for the perfect riding position or positions since I can get about three different ones right now.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:53 AM
screws4156
Road Captain

I live in Phoenix It was in the 90's this week already. In Az the engine heat is always something we deal with. But once I put the lowers on I loss most of the wind around my legs. A lot of the road noise is gone and dirt and sand up my pant leg is athing of the past. I put some after market vents on my lowers RG lowers do not have vents from HD ( Why I don't know) They are on to stay......The HD glove box could be a bit bigger. I can just get my hand in it

Attached Thumbnails Impressions:  HD Fairing Lowers on Road Glide-pict1280.jpg  

Quick Reply: Impressions: HD Fairing Lowers on Road Glide