Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Oil In All 3 Holes, How Difficult Is It?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Lass7711
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
You can do the remainder of the 1000 mile service yourself, have faith. Best way to keep the oil off the bike is to use an empty 2 liter bottle, cut the bottom off then slice it in half lengthwise, slide it under the filter, the oil runs thru into your pan!
I'll probably do the service from now on (unless I'm can't get in the mood). A lot of things I used to do when I was younger are not as much fun now. There's an Indy just down the road that I may try sometime.

I'll have to try the 2 liter bottle. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:33 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing all the fluids is very easy. Read the manual a few times to understand where the drain bolts are and how much you need to refill.

You don't even need a jack stand or lift. Just keep it on its kickstand. Get a shallow pan but one large enough to hold at least 4-5 quarts. You literally unscrew a couple bolts and let the oil drain.

Get a good filter end cap wrench. You can get them at any auto parts store for about $8. A 3/8 inch socket will fit into the end. You only need this to loosen the filter. The new one will only need to be hand tight.

The chaincase is easy as well. Drain the oil. Get a torx bit, remove all five fasteners and remove the primary derby cover. Add 32-40 oz. of synthetic or standard 20-50W oil.

Don't worry about changing the O rings every time you change the oil. It's NOT necessary. I don't care what anyone says. I change out the O rings every 10,000 miles. They're very pliable and seal well. I know it says to change them every time but I have NEVER had a leak at the drain bolt on any Harley from not replacing the O ring. This includes the derby cover gasket. If it makes you feel better, change them every 5000 miles.

But hey, they're cheap and if you change them every time, be my guest.

The whole job will take you maybe an hour the first time. 1/2 hour from then on.

I use an empty kitty litter box to dump all the used oil into. It will hold 4-5 changes until it needs taken to the auto parts store to dump. It's reusable as well.

Personally, I use Mobil 1 15W-50 in the crankcase and primary. I use Mobil 1 85-90 gear oil in the transmission. Used these for many years and have never had a problem.

There's many other quality oils out there. I recommend synthetic as its properties are well known to keep the engine lubricated better, the additives lasting longer and keep the engine cooler.

You can use synthetic right from the first change at 1000 miles. Don't let anyone tell you differently. "Seating the rings" and making leaky gaskets are urban myth and patently false. Synthetic is factory fill on numerous cars and motorcycles. It is well known now that tighter engine tolerances and changes in metallurgy have eliminated the "break in" period required to use synthetics.

It helps you get to know your bike and you know the job is done well.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:36 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

Dont spray brake cleaner on the front motor mount ruber, it will break the rubber down real fast.
Spraying a squirt of brake cleaner once every 5000 miles will not break down the rubber. If you were to spray it every day for 6 months, than yes, it may start to make the outer rubber more brittle.

But spraying it once while changing the oil is not going to hurt the rubber mount.

Last edited by AZ Rider; 03-21-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:08 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

All directions are in the manual. Extremely easy if your mechanically inclined at all. Better yet get the service manual for your year. Tons of info in there!

Old 03-21-2009, 06:37 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,273 Posts

The hardest part of changing the oil in a road king is getting the oil filter out without making a huge mess. Everything else is chicken feed.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:25 AM
gary_montague
Road Captain

go online and buy a 250 in/lbs torque wrench get a few o-rings from the dealer and some mobil-1 from auto zone. If you can't do the rest, then you may need help shifting and steering at the same time. Also, don't forget to lube your cables and other points where the controls pivot. They may not say to do this, but if you ride in the rain at all you should make sure they don't rust.

Last edited by gary_montague; 03-21-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:15 PM
greggg
Cruiser

Its no problem,had the dealer do the 1000 mile service and stage1 at the same time.All service i done myself after,someone posted an excel maintenance spreed sheet on here last year with all the required service,works well.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:40 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Mobil1 15-50 Synthetic $26.00 5qt. jug from Wal-Mart. Change every 5K miles.

Mobil1 75-90 Synthetic Tranny Oil $8.00 any auto parts store. Change once a season.

Castrol GTX 10-40 Dino $2.50qt for Primary from Wal-Mart.
Using a synthetic is a waste of money. Change once a season.

HD Super Premium Oil Filters. I buy 6 at a time from either Chicago HD or Zanottis online @ 20% off. Your filter is the weakest link in your lubrication cycle, why scrimp on it? It has the best filtering rating of any filter on the market. Change every 2500 miles.

Attached Thumbnails Changing Oil In All 3 Holes, How Difficult Is It?-drainplugsfordummies.jpg  
Old 03-21-2009, 02:47 PM
990rtracer
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

If you know how to adjust a crescent wrench you will be able to change your fluids! Although you won't need a crescent wrench, just making sure you are at least as smart as a Caveman. LOL Go for it! Save the extra$$$ for some bling. I run Amsoil in my RK BTW.

Keith

Old 03-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master

ok lets heat it up.... don't most use the syn in all three holes?

Quick Reply: Changing Oil In All 3 Holes, How Difficult Is It?