Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Question Regarding Primary Fluid Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:10 PM
martin1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont worry about it. The primary level isnt that critical. If it were engine oil or transmission fluid I might be concerned but the primary fluids main fuction is cooling. (yeah I am aware that it lubes the chain). Im willing to bet that most primary fluid changes at the dealer are just add a quart and call it good. Hell, it doesnt even matter that much what you put in there. Lot of folks run auto trans fluid, 30w oil and etc with no detremental effects. As long as it doesnt have an additive that will make the clutch slip it will cool and lube the chain.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:42 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by martin1
Dont worry about it. The primary level isnt that critical. If it were engine oil or transmission fluid I might be concerned but the primary fluids main fuction is cooling. (yeah I am aware that it lubes the chain). Im willing to bet that most primary fluid changes at the dealer are just add a quart and call it good. Hell, it doesnt even matter that much what you put in there. Lot of folks run auto trans fluid, 30w oil and etc with no detremental effects. As long as it doesnt have an additive that will make the clutch slip it will cool and lube the chain.
Too much oil in the primary will make it hard to find/shift into neutral and other clutch related ailments.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bamorris2
Well, I must not have gotten all of the oil out last time I drained it... I just did it again tonight, being sure to get as much as possible drained out. I put in 38oz of new Redline MTL, and it brought it right to the bottom of the clutch basket; perfect!
That's kinda what i was wondering if you'd not quite gotten it all out. I change/drain mine on the jiffy stand. Before i put the plug back in I sit on the bike and rock it left and right and straigt up to get any oil out of there that might be lurking due to the angle the bike sits at when on the stand. Then i put the plug back in and pour in 38 ounces. Done.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:19 AM
electra-hog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To much Primary Fluid?

To much fluid in the primary case can cause hard shifting and difficulty finding neutral as well as burning up your Stator which no body has bothered to mention, the stator is not meant to be bathed in oil constantly so with the primary fluid at the right level basically all you get is the chain and tensor properly lubed but not the other adverse effects! (2008 EG) Ride Safe.