Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Anyone Tried the HQ 525 cam in an '09?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:49 PM
BDHE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has Anyone Tried the HQ 525 cam in an '09?

Greetings everyone;

Another post I put up about a week ago indicated that just changing cams in the '09 engines might wake it up.

I've seen a lot of information floating around about the Headquarters 525 cams designed specifically for those of us that ride the '09 baggers, and wanted to see if anyone has actually installed these cams.

Any opinions are especially welcome from anyone that's done a cam swap, or research on one!

Bryon

Old 03-29-2009, 11:51 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 273 Likes on 172 Posts

Installed a set in a friends '09 SERG and cut out the catalytic. Today we did 3 "v" tunes with the TTS. He claims the bike pulls a lot harder than his '07 110 that had another brand of cams in it.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:42 AM
IsaacL
Cruiser

bump............ I am also interested in this cam and any feedback from anyone who is running them in an 09/10 bagger.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 AM
StreetKing
Tourer

What about that cam in a 08?

Old 11-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Rhonda
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My results

I have a 09 Ultra with Fuel Moto package(a/c , Dynotuned Jackpot slipons and PCV). Bike ran perfect but I decided to do a cam change. I installed the 525HQ cams and really didn't feel hardly any change but I was running same map from Fuel Moto. I then had it tuned at Ray Price HD and it only made 74hp & 84tq. I felt that these numbers were low so I contacted Doug at HQ and he told me I should get 85-90hp and 90-95tq with these cams and stage1 setup. He blamed my results on a bad tune. My tuner was Jason Clements and is used by HQ in the testimonials on there website. I have since had heads ported and cc'd to 82cc by BigBoyz and used .030 head gaskets for a 9.75 compression ratio. I then drove 4 hours oneway to T-Man Performance in Kernnersville,NC to have bike tuned. Brian is highly recommended as one of the better tuners and gives classes to other tuners. I watched every step of the tune which took over 4 hours. My bike still only made 81hp & 92tq SAE. I see better results from others with different cams and less work. The bike runs very well but only gets 35-38mpg. Brian told me my gas mileage might drop a little because there was some lean conditions in the previous tune. A/F ratio looks like a straight line of 13.5 from start to finish on dyno sheet. My plans are to go to 103 with S/E flatop cast pistons with .040 head gaskets to get CR close to 10.25 and switch to Andrews 54H cams. This should result in a corrected CR around 9.3 which is about the limit for not having starting problems and running with todays gas. The cams might not be my problem but I will try a different set since I do my own work labor won't cost me. Allyn

Old 11-20-2009, 10:05 PM
IsaacL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I have a 09 Ultra with Fuel Moto package(a/c , Dynotuned Jackpot slipons and PCV). Bike ran perfect but I decided to do a cam change. I installed the 525HQ cams and really didn't feel hardly any change but I was running same map from Fuel Moto. I then had it tuned at Ray Price HD and it only made 74hp & 84tq. I felt that these numbers were low so I contacted Doug at HQ and he told me I should get 85-90hp and 90-95tq with these cams and stage1 setup. He blamed my results on a bad tune. My tuner was Jason Clements and is used by HQ in the testimonials on there website. I have since had heads ported and cc'd to 82cc by BigBoyz and used .030 head gaskets for a 9.75 compression ratio. I then drove 4 hours oneway to T-Man Performance in Kernnersville,NC to have bike tuned. Brian is highly recommended as one of the better tuners and gives classes to other tuners. I watched every step of the tune which took over 4 hours. My bike still only made 81hp & 92tq SAE. I see better results from others with different cams and less work. The bike runs very well but only gets 35-38mpg. Brian told me my gas mileage might drop a little because there was some lean conditions in the previous tune. A/F ratio looks like a straight line of 13.5 from start to finish on dyno sheet. My plans are to go to 103 with S/E flatop cast pistons with .040 head gaskets to get CR close to 10.25 and switch to Andrews 54H cams. This should result in a corrected CR around 9.3 which is about the limit for not having starting problems and running with todays gas. The cams might not be my problem but I will try a different set since I do my own work labor won't cost me. Allyn
Thanks for sharing your experience. I pulled the trigger on the Crane cams 1-6000 HTC300-2 instead because I couldn't find any feedback on the HQ525.
I hope you get the results you are looking for with your 103" upgrade.... Are you going to install compression releases?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:32 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Did you ever make this change or get the cam situation straightened out? I'm wondering how the HQ525 would do in a 103" build?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:45 PM
hrchdog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
Installed a set in a friends '09 SERG and cut out the catalytic. Today we did 3 "v" tunes with the TTS. He claims the bike pulls a lot harder than his '07 110 that had another brand of cams in it.
What base map did you start out with in the tts?

Old 03-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 273 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by hrchdog
What base map did you start out with in the tts?
UJ 205-002-C2. The 525's moved the power to the right. Installed some tw7's in another SERG 110 and it made way more down low and carried a little further to the right. In all fairness the bike with the 525's had a bad set of slip ons and these 110's seem to need a good exhaust. Both bikes have been dyno'd and have found they will take quite a bit more timing. I am just putting Fuel Motos' new 2:1:2 stainless pipe on the bike with the 525's and going to try some different slip ons to see if the bottom end can be picked up. The tw7's actually made more power from 2500 than another SERG 110 with the 255's.