Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why all the noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:57 PM
machpilot
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is another thing....my SO likes long rides to...but she like a bike to sound a little more aggressive than a sewing machine...

but here is the amazing thing....its NOT just H-D owners that aftermarket thier pipes to make it louder...Honda, Suzuki, kawasaki, they are ALL doing it....its POP CULTURE we do it because we CAN...and hate to tell ya but loud pipes can save a few lives...more than one occasion i have had to roll on my throttle hard to wake up some damn soccer mom or teenager or some dude in his Beemer texting not paying attention while they are wandering into my lane....may not be any"evidence" of it but if it works once for me i dont need to see it on paper to believe it may work.

Originally Posted by hcmiller92
Because I like to take my SO on nice, quiet rides in the country at modest speeds, that's why.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:01 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course there is something to be said for the "harley sound" is the same reason exhaust manufacturers market pipes to give metrics a "harley sound". Having said that, it is personal opinion...some like louder than others. Typically the ones that ride more or longer trips prefer a milder exhaust.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM
hcmiller92
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDSEwannabe
Maybe you shouldnt be comparing a 12 year old Harley to a "late model" beemer.
Well, I couuld have compared it just as easily to the 12 year old one I sold last year. The difference is the same. The difference is the same between any 12 year old Beemer and a new FLHTCUI. That's not the point. The point is the Harleys are just as beautiful as Beemers, just in a different way. The noise is offensive and unecessary, that's all.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:16 PM
hcmiller92
Advanced

Originally Posted by Phurion
But coming here posing your question in the manner you did, demeaning the machine these forums are dedicated to all the while seemingly elevating your beloved beemer to some sort of god like status...come on?! What exactly did you expect here?
Agreement that pipes can be too loud. Apparently not. No such thing as too loud. I need my hearing to make a living, not to mention basic communication. I love my Harley just as much as my Beemers, in fact expect to buy a new XR1200, too. I don't think it qualifies as a Beemer. There are a lot of "switch hitters" with both a Beemer and a Harley in the garage.

On this forum, I'd expect civility. Apparently, there's not much to be found here. Too bad.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:18 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hcmiller92
The noise is offensive and unnecessary, that's all.
The fact you seem to be missing is that the above statement is strictly your opinion and it's worth exactly what we paid for it. I might agree with you regarding loud pipes, but that too would be only an opinion.

As far as "civility" is concerned, that starts with the original poster, i.e., you, in this case.

Last edited by XTrooper3936; 04-07-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:22 PM
hcmiller92
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheBagger
hcmiller92, 6 posts and you are making lots of friends here.

Coming to a Harley forum and questioning why people have non-stock pipes?? Your off the charts man.
Hey, I like your bike, not your demeanor, though. Pretty machine.

Not trying to make friends here, I ride my own ride (mostly because most people don't ride as much or as long), but I hate the castigation my loud pipes always seem to bring, wherever I may go!

Apparently, folks here don't mind the noise. But, in the end, that choice hurts all of us. New Hampshire is now entertaining legislation to ban all but stock pipes. Wonder the effect on the rallies up there.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:26 PM
hcmiller92
Advanced

Originally Posted by XTrooper3936
The fact you seem to be missing is that the above statement is strictly your opinion and it's worth exactly what we paid for it. I might agree with you regarding loud pipes, but that too would be only an opinion.

As far as "civility" is concerned, that starts with the original poster, i.e., you, in this case.
Not true. It is measurable. Beyond certain limits, at certain distance from source, hearing loss is induced. That's fact, not conjecture.

As far as civility, my posts are civil. The rest is backlash because, apparently, someone disagrees with the noise and one's "right" to abuse reasonable standards.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master

i like when I'm on the highway and i can see the person on the cell looking around because they hear me. I don't care if they are pissed cause I am still here making noise. Yeah, I like the sound of good pipes not straight pipes so don't confuse what I am and what I think the majority of HD owners like. I think you got the louder exception which as we know is not always what everyone is doing.
be safe and enjoy all your rides!

Old 04-07-2009, 01:34 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

should I insert Rodney King's (in)famous quote here now?

Curt,
Your comments/remarks were perceived/received as an affront to members here who have chosen to sport loud pipes and see absolutely nothing wrong with it. And to be expected from an avid group of afficionados, they are merely voicing their opinion (read: defending their choice) ...much like you did yours.

Still early in the day, the rowdy bunch is still at work, out riding, or asleep so this thread will get more interesting (far less civil than the guys who have chimed in so far).

Last edited by kromdom; 04-07-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:38 PM
JnT4Life
Tourer

One of the best things about a Vtwin is the sound. Now that being said, I don't like obnoxiously loud pipes either, but stock is just too quite.

Quick Reply: Why all the noise?