Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Radio failure analysis

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:26 PM
backdoc_rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen this asked but I don't think there was an answer. If my radio goes out and I wanted to switch to a different brand, what happens to CB and intercom? My guess is they would have to be replaced with aftermarket too and wouldn't work with the stock handlebar controls is that right?

Fortunately, my HK is working fine but I haven't had the bike long.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:27 PM
harley1958
Advanced
Default radio reception

I have a 2009 ultra classic and the radio reception is very bad. The dealer checked it out and said he could not fine anything wrong with the unit. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have tried different antennas and that has not helped.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:33 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sgdiesel

1. Identify the core issue (loss of sound after a period of use is a popular one) - or even state that your sound system works perfectly - this is also useful data
None.

2. What model bike you have as there are potential differences between systems
Stock - 2005 Ultra Classic.

3. Ideally what firmware version you are running
Don't think it can be changed.

4. Whether you use external speakers or headsets (or both I guess)
Both - primarily headset.

5. Whether you have stock speakers or have upgraded these
Stock

6. What function you use where this occurs (i.e. Aux, CD, Radio or Any)
FM, I have used the intercom and CB with out any trouble.

7. Miles on the bike and how often you tend to use the system (an estimate of hours on the sound system is where we want to get), for example if we assume an average speed of 50mph and you have 10000 miles on the clock and you use the stereo all the time then I can calculate hours used.
26,644 - all the time, even when washing and working on it so add some to it.

I hope this helps and doesn't jink me!

Last edited by cayers; 06-10-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:47 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did promise to do the analysis and I will keep that promise but the problem still remains that we have too few respondants to get any meaningful trends.

Ideally if we could get a lot more responses then the ananlysis will be beneficial. Remember a response even to say "no probs" giving details of your bike etc is still a very valuable response

Old 06-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Identify the core issue (loss of sound after a period of use is a popular one) - or even state that your sound system works perfectly - this is also useful data
Loss of sound but only for a few seconds at at time. Audio cut out and in. Happens with radio, AUX, CD. Haven't tried CB or head set. Checked behind the fairing for loose connections, unplug and plug back in, checked the volume switch, no shorts or loss of control, checked contacts on speaker dash switch, no problems there. Have turned the system off when riding then back on, no difference. Seems it gets worse as the heat increases in the fairing or the increase in volume as the radio gets hotter and hotter. I can remove the fairing on a cool day and let it play for hours but when the sun shines on the trike or I put the fairing back on it cuts in and out again.

2. What model bike you have as there are potential differences between systems
2007 EG Ultra, triked

3. Ideally what firmware version you are running
Software v7.8 to v8.19 upgrade a few days ago. Made no change in problem, loudness or quality of sound

4. Whether you use external speakers or headsets (or both I guess)
External only. The headset cord is too short and pulls on my head.

5. Whether you have stock speakers or have upgraded these
Stock

6. What function you use where this occurs (i.e. Aux, CD, Radio or Any)
FM, AUX for iPOD. CD.

7. Miles on the bike and how often you tend to use the system (an estimate of hours on the sound system is where we want to get), for example if we assume an average speed of 50mph and you have 10000 miles on the clock and you use the stereo all the time then I can calculate hours used.
less than 100 hours on sound system, 7700 miles on the bike, started around 6000 miles. I use the sound system about 20% of the time. Never when i'm working in the garage or just sitting around on a ride taking a break. Warranty ran out a few months ago and I haven't contacted anyone about it. Doubt HD will do anything more than tell me to eFF oFF. I am glad to hear about some of you guys getting a reman unit after the warranty was up.

My problem is a heatsink issue somewhere in the HK head unit. I will either PAY to get it fixed over and over or simply take all the sound system components out, take a hammer to it and send it to HD Customer service in a box but I'll calmly wait until I receive some more of their junk mail, attach the free return mail envelope to the box for free postage.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:53 AM
BM83
Tourer

2007 road glide

1st radio: display had discoloration, clock would not keep time, sound quality varied day to day, display finally lost the back light, speakers became very distorted above 1/2 volume.

replaced the head unit and speakers under warranty last month.
2nd radio: clock not keeping time, distortion above 1/2 volume

POS speakers?

Old 06-16-2009, 07:34 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

Sent my radio to Iron Cross to have it repaired, also adding pre-amp rca outputs and a rear Aux input. . According to the guys there, the radio fails from vibration. How many of you have added stiffer fork oil to thier bike?
Anyways, they fix the issue and are able to get the radio to where it should not fail again as it is worked by hand and not machine.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Bckshot
Stage II
Default Ultra Glide issues

I too have a 2008 Ultra Glide,(with a slow clock), but my only big issue is my auxiliary for the iPhone/iPod wich sounds funny. I know the cord is good and the stereo/cd player is fine. I ask my local dealer today and he said he hasn't herd anything about it, though I found several other people who had the same problem and simply replaced the radio. I'm trying to avoid that.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:53 PM
djack
Road Master

2012streetglide,1400 miles, I have the J&M 250 watt amp and7.25 rockers,it just started losing the left speaker occasionally on the radio or cd.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

20k and my radoi works the same as it did when new. I did upgrade to the Boom speakers and they sound much better.