Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Handlebars on an '08 Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:44 AM
TxRay50
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have short arms, because I could use about 3" pull back.
I priced the replacement of bars and my Harley guy quoted me $500
that was the bars and labor.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:58 AM
gregorysfd
Tourer

I have an 2009 Ultra Classic and just called Wild1 yesterday and they told me that I would have to extend my brake line , clutch cable for the 575's, I had them on my 06 Ultra and had no addition purchases. Please can anyone that has added this clear this up. I am hoping for just the bars , last times added them my self with not problems other than re-routing the clutch cable. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:50 PM
hotshot
Tourer

Hey Steve, why don't you move south and I'll get you to do mine. :-)

Thanks for all the info. It helps. Changing bars is not a "have to" but I believe I would be more comfortable with the bars a little closer to me.

I had a question about my reach..... I'm 5'9" and have a 32-33" sleeve. I don't have to "reach" for the bars, but I don't have much bend in my elbows. I've found with previous bikes that a little more bend in my elbows relates to a little less tiring during a long ride.

I have a service manual, but there are a lot of things in the manual that is hard to understand or figure out. :-) At least for a "non-mechanic". I change my oil, etc. But I get a little shaky feeling in the pit of my stomach when it comes to major work. I'm 100 miles from my dealer, that's a long way to take a bike that "I've messed up" and can't get back together. :-)

I appreciate the info. This is a great forum for this stuff.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:59 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by peddler
I just finished the swap to Wild One 575 last night. Great project! Learned alot about my Ultra. There is really no one easy answer to your question. I was quoted 5 hours of labor by my dealer but I never got into the detail which includes all of the following:does that price include installation of longer clutch cable, does that include lengthing wiring and running wires thru bars not to mention does that include installation of longer break line. Your selection of new bars will answer how much of that list is necessary. The Wild One 575 were $200 and in my humble opinion worth every penny. Great quality and the 1 1/4" diameter makes internal wiring easy.

Good luck whatever you decide.

I agree - the 575's are GREAT bars.. I am 5'6" and have short arms.. these bars worked great for me... then I got a wild hair and changed my FLHTCI into a Road Glide... now thats a project - Hey, if I can do it - anyone can.. just get the service man (which everyone should have) and then have fun...

Old 04-23-2009, 09:04 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by gregorysfd
I have an 2009 Ultra Classic and just called Wild1 yesterday and they told me that I would have to extend my brake line , clutch cable for the 575's, I had them on my 06 Ultra and had no addition purchases. Please can anyone that has added this clear this up. I am hoping for just the bars , last times added them my self with not problems other than re-routing the clutch cable. Thanks for your help.
Retired FF - so am I,,, last may was my KMA date (35 years).. anyway.. you will have to either change out the brake line or re-bend the stock one... I would just swap it out... I think the clutch cable will need to be re-routed - I went all coated stainless lines... biggest scare (for the first timers) is taking the plugs apart so all the wires can go into the bars... actually, this is very easy,,,, PM me and I will give you my number - I can talk you through it over the phone... I am on coast to coast road trip right now... I did buy a Acer Netbook and have it along... this is one cool small netbook... and it fits with all the other gear we have... been on the road now for 12 days... Turlock, CA to Savannah, GA - heading back on Sat...

Old 04-23-2009, 10:23 PM
gregorysfd
Tourer

Thanks for the reply, I had no problem putting the 575's on my 2006 Ultra and all I had to do was re-route the clutch cable , and work the brake line back to the bars. When I called yesterday they told me something different , just had me wondering. Oh yes on the wiring , i just numbered each plug with tape, 1 - 1 , 2 - 2- and so on until I had all of them apart, went back together very easy, traded it with 21,000 on it in Feb 2009 for the 2009 Ultra Classic , Thanks for the reply , i retired in 2004 with 25 years as my career and 16 years with a Volunteer Company. I do own my own 1969 American La France pumper , if you ever on or near the east coast give me a yell and i'll show you around here. I live near the Maryland - Delaware Line.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:54 PM
doshi
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gregorysfd
I replaced my 09 Ultra bars with the 575's last month. Much easier than previous touring years due to redesigned exhaust. Took me about 5hrs which included replacing clutch cable and running wires internally. Remove center exhaust shield only and use a ball ended hex socket for the two bottom bolts attaching the clutch release cover. I used a +4 Magnum Black pearl clutch cable #0652-1164. Also to make life easier with the TBW replace the stock sensor with sensor kit#32310-08. This sensor does not have the green connector midway which would make it almost impossible to run switch wires internally. Switch connectors can be secured under the radio. Good luck it's really not that difficult.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:51 AM
langhammx
Road Captain
Default wild one

I had a set of wild one 575 bars installed on my bike, I just wasn't up to dealing with it. I spent 12 yrs. working on bikes every day, my son raced MX across the country, tear downs were a weekly occurance and I am just burned out at times. I replaced the clutch and ABS brake lines and chrome controls all at once and it was almost $1000.00 for parts/labor. AIPRACING.com in Van Nuys, Ca.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 AM
richcamp
Novice
Default Pics of Wild Ones 575 (before and after) ?

Would love to see pics of installed wild one 575 on the Ultras. I just bought an 09 Ultra and the stock bars don't do it for me. Thanks, Rich

Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Certified Drunk
Tourer

It's not a ultra, but you get the idea.
Just click on the pictures below add to cart.
http://www.wild1inc.com/orderWO575.html

Quick Reply: New Handlebars on an '08 Ultra?