Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   What hits the ground when you drop your bike? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/355946-what-hits-the-ground-when-you-drop-your-bike.html)

krussell 06-10-2009 10:03 AM

What hits the ground when you drop your bike?

I've got an 09 EG Classic. I don't like the rails around the saddle bags from a look perspective. I also don't like them from a washing perspective. My pillion doesn't like the top part of the guards, they rub on the back of her calfs. So, I replaced them with the HD Saddlebag Support Kit, 90881-09, which I suspect is basically what comes stock on the Street Glide.

My only concern is what I've lost in terms of bag protection in the event of a drop. Does the bike land on the front crash bar only, or are the bag guards typically involved? I'm mostly concerned about drops from a standstill, underway I suspect most bets are off anyway.

huffhuff 06-10-2009 10:06 AM

the couple of times mine has fell over the footboards caught the bike. the bags have never gotten close to the ground. i'm talking about no forward movement though. at any speed what happens can't be predicted.

HarleyWood 06-10-2009 10:07 AM

mine just rolls to the side and props itself up on the highway peg....not that i would ever forget to put down the jiffy.....but if I did.....thats what it would do....I'm sure of it....and the guards on the rear bag didn't..I mean wouldn't touch the ground

I imagine if I dropped it hard there may be some damage to the lowers if the peg mount rotated..

Bushy 06-10-2009 10:08 AM

fairing then bags.... Engine guard will help the front end... bags without Guards a re defenseless. been there and done that.

beary 06-10-2009 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by huffhuff (Post 5119561)
the couple of times mine has fell over the footboards caught the bike. the bags have never gotten close to the ground. i'm talking about no forward movement though. at any speed what happens can't be predicted.

Same on my 09 SG, it has fallen twice and did not hit the bags. I know it would have on my 02 RKC. Not sure how the 09 will do if it fell while moving.

Beary

hewhohesit8s 06-10-2009 10:29 AM

dropped my '09 EGC backing it out of the driveway - brain fart - and it fell on the downhill side. Landed on both the front engine guard and on the rear bag guard. no visible damage to anything. btw had a hell of a time getting it upright because of the down slope.

Rammer 06-10-2009 10:32 AM

I dropped mine and my ego hit the ground first. Then the floorboard mounts and I did scratch the bottom edge of my bag. The engine guard and the floorboard mounts took the most though

Phurion 06-10-2009 10:36 AM

In a low speed laydown, my 2000 RK came to rest on the engine guard and the saddle bag guards with no other damage to the rest of the bike.

That minor mishap is why I put the bag guards (not the full wrap around style like on UC's, just the front down-bar) on my SG as soon as I could.

wkenddad 06-10-2009 10:54 AM

You mean other than my heart from my chest?

The engine guards do a pretty good job, but the upper portion of my lowers touched a little and I had to polish the scratches out.

All in all it wasn't that bad.

bignateLA 06-10-2009 10:57 AM

When I dropped my RG I just ended up with a tiny scratch on the engine guard & a couple small scratches on the bottom edge of the saddlebag...can't even see 'em unless you're looking for them.