Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What hits the ground when you drop your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:03 AM
krussell
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What hits the ground when you drop your bike?

I've got an 09 EG Classic. I don't like the rails around the saddle bags from a look perspective. I also don't like them from a washing perspective. My pillion doesn't like the top part of the guards, they rub on the back of her calfs. So, I replaced them with the HD Saddlebag Support Kit, 90881-09, which I suspect is basically what comes stock on the Street Glide.

My only concern is what I've lost in terms of bag protection in the event of a drop. Does the bike land on the front crash bar only, or are the bag guards typically involved? I'm mostly concerned about drops from a standstill, underway I suspect most bets are off anyway.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:06 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the couple of times mine has fell over the footboards caught the bike. the bags have never gotten close to the ground. i'm talking about no forward movement though. at any speed what happens can't be predicted.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:07 AM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine just rolls to the side and props itself up on the highway peg....not that i would ever forget to put down the jiffy.....but if I did.....thats what it would do....I'm sure of it....and the guards on the rear bag didn't..I mean wouldn't touch the ground

I imagine if I dropped it hard there may be some damage to the lowers if the peg mount rotated..

Last edited by HarleyWood; 06-10-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

fairing then bags.... Engine guard will help the front end... bags without Guards a re defenseless. been there and done that.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:24 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by huffhuff
the couple of times mine has fell over the footboards caught the bike. the bags have never gotten close to the ground. i'm talking about no forward movement though. at any speed what happens can't be predicted.
Same on my 09 SG, it has fallen twice and did not hit the bags. I know it would have on my 02 RKC. Not sure how the 09 will do if it fell while moving.

Beary

Old 06-10-2009, 10:29 AM
hewhohesit8s
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dropped my '09 EGC backing it out of the driveway - brain fart - and it fell on the downhill side. Landed on both the front engine guard and on the rear bag guard. no visible damage to anything. btw had a hell of a time getting it upright because of the down slope.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Rammer
Cruiser

I dropped mine and my ego hit the ground first. Then the floorboard mounts and I did scratch the bottom edge of my bag. The engine guard and the floorboard mounts took the most though

Old 06-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a low speed laydown, my 2000 RK came to rest on the engine guard and the saddle bag guards with no other damage to the rest of the bike.

That minor mishap is why I put the bag guards (not the full wrap around style like on UC's, just the front down-bar) on my SG as soon as I could.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:54 AM
wkenddad
Tourer

You mean other than my heart from my chest?

The engine guards do a pretty good job, but the upper portion of my lowers touched a little and I had to polish the scratches out.

All in all it wasn't that bad.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 AM
bignateLA
Cruiser

When I dropped my RG I just ended up with a tiny scratch on the engine guard & a couple small scratches on the bottom edge of the saddlebag...can't even see 'em unless you're looking for them.

Quick Reply: What hits the ground when you drop your bike?