Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tying down bagger on a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Detachment2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wheel chalks but have always ran the soft strap tie downs up under my fairing over the triple tree and back down. Has always been a good solid tie down without damaging anything. I tried to find a close up picture but couldn't. The wheel chalk directions even suggested this tie down method not that any of the others won't work either.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:10 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Renegade
I have gone to using a Condor chock and I only strap to the rider pegs, it will pull the suspension front and rear down anf the bike never moves. I use 2 set of straps on them. I use to do it the way SOS does it in his photos and never had an issue with the front fender either.
Again, the bolts holding the pegs on are not that large/strong in my opinion to secure a 800+ lb bike but that's just me.....

Old 06-16-2009, 08:41 PM
customsoftail200
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, looking at my front fender where it mounts to the forks, I can't imagine using a tie-down strap there, it would scratch the hell out of the fender. I was thinking about going on the lower tree but I think it will bend the chrome trim piece there.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two ratchet straps at the front of the frame. I attatch one on each frame downtube and secure then to the front of the trailer. I have a small one made to secure the front wheel to the front center trailer support to keep the front wheel from turning,and I use another strap on the back of the trailer. I loop it thru the rear wheel and secure both ends to rach side of the trailer. Went all the way fron TX to CA last year without one single problem. I did not even have to re-tighten one of the straps all the way there. Just never could make myself use the front forks to strap down 920lbs,don't feel comfortable about that.

Last edited by Jukebox; 06-16-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:54 PM
customsoftail200
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyp
Two ratchet straps at the front of the frame. I attatch one on each frame downtube and secure then to the front of the trailer. I have a small one made to secure the front wheel to the front center trailer support to keep the front wheel from turning,and I use another strap on the back of the trailer. I loop it thru the rear wheel and secure both ends to rach side of the trailer. Went all the way fron TX to CA last year without one single problem. I did not even have to re-tighten one of the straps all the way there. Just never could make myself use the front forks to strap down 920lbs,don't feel comfortable about that.
That sounds like a good way of doing it.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:59 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I use wheel chalk that goes in e track. Pull bike in ,One soft tie around left handle bar and one around right. Go around bar ,not wires,cables or anything. Hook ratchet strap in soft tie loops pull down as far out as you can.Pull one side than the other. Make them equal. Dont pull to far down tight but dont over do it. The bike should not go any where. Leave in gear ,kick stand down if you can. If you want you can put tie around front wheel and pull into chalk. one around back wheel and pull back. Around foot pegs and pull down. I usually only go around handle bars, but I do not go that far.stop and check after 20 miles and retighten . Use good Rachet straps or they will loosen up.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by customsoftail200
That sounds like a good way of doing it.
I am pretty sure the frame won't bend,brake,or come onbolted anywhere they way I do it. Of corse,I use an open top frame trailer.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by customsoftail200
Man, looking at my front fender where it mounts to the forks, I can't imagine using a tie-down strap there, it would scratch the hell out of the fender. I was thinking about going on the lower tree but I think it will bend the chrome trim piece there.
Your right, that's why you use a set of soft ties with the fleece sleeve......Then hook your large diameter tie down straps to the soft ties......

Old 06-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Grim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a 2x4 on the outside of the wheels then two more between the wheels touching the sides of the trailer and screw them together. This stops any foreword or latteral movement. Then I strap it down below the suspension.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:11 PM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also tie down at the axle to much pressure on the handle bars have towed to Daytona and Myrtle beach 1200 miles round trip and the bike never moved...

Quick Reply: Tying down bagger on a trailer