Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tying down bagger on a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Richpend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from an 1800 mile trip, used a friends trailer and didn't use a wheel chalks!! When I get a trailer of my own you bet I'll be getting a one of those wheel chalks, we used 5 tie downs 2 to the handle bars and 2 to the crash bars for the bags and one to secure the front tire so it would not go anywhere!! I did not like using the handle bars as it does put stress on them, I just hated to use that method but didn't know what else to use. But we made it without any problems, would not do it again like that, it was a lesson learned!!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Don W.
Cruiser

Sorry, Couldn't resist....bikes were made to be ridden, not trailered!!!
Reminds me of a shirt I saw........"I rode my bike to Trailer Week." or something like that!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:30 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,560 Likes on 4,764 Posts

go to the dealer.they are trailering bikes on a daily basis

Old 06-16-2009, 09:45 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a condor chock and 6 big daddy power tyes (overkill but it works for me). I used SOOS method (2 on front forks above where fender bolts--2 on passenger pegs--2 on rear wheel) with 6-6000lbs d-rings and strapped in my UC in a 5 x 10 cargo and never needed to adjust straps anywhere on a 2k run so i say it works.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:44 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Watch the passenger footrests, A friend of mine and a fellow forum member tied down on them and drove to Myrtle Beach, In Myrtle Beach he bought a new footrest and strap. His old one is some where on 95. Just my 2 cents, I always go with soft ties around the frame. Also do forget to inspect and dry your straps often, they do wear out and break.

Be Safe JIM

Old 06-17-2009, 06:28 AM
1badbagger
Road Warrior
Received 1,621 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Don W.
Reminds me of a shirt I saw........"I rode my bike to Trailer Week." or something like that!
Yeah, that's original !!!
I have a Kendon trailer with a built in wheel chock, so I went and got the rest of the pieces to make my own "strapless tie down system". I have the Ultra on the trailer, secured and ready to drive away in about 5 minutes. I have just over $100.00 in the parts needed to build this system below. The other benefit is you're not compressing your suspension and you never have to tighten a strap. I can't say enough good about this system. And hey, if you're rich and lazy, you can just buy it all new for about $350.00 !!!

http://www.moki-ezlock.com/

I normally wouldn't take my time to reply to the trailer bashing macho men, but hey, it's early morning and I have a seminar to go to and a few extra minutes, so.......
when traveling to Ohio or Florida to see family, it's greta to take the wife, her boxer dog and the Harley. I don't have to pay for a kennel, she has the car to go see her famiuly or friends and I have the bike to go see mine. There are numerous reasons guys sometimes choose to trailer, don't let the macho men concern you. I put 15K miles a year on my Harley and another 5K or so on my Yamaha FZ6 and I trailer whenever I need to.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:51 AM
rodeking
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a self locking front wheel chock. I use soft nylon double loop ties on the front fork tubes just above the front axle, with two ratchet straps per side. Then I use two ratchet straps, one per side, looped around the rear wheel to keep the bike straight. Bike hauls great and most important it rides on its own suspension and is not banging against the tie downs.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:08 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rodeking
I use a self locking front wheel chock. I use soft nylon double loop ties on the front fork tubes just above the front axle, with two ratchet straps per side. Then I use two ratchet straps, one per side, looped around the rear wheel to keep the bike straight. Bike hauls great and most important it rides on its own suspension and is not banging against the tie downs.
Exactly the same as I do.....Simple and it WORKS......

Old 06-17-2009, 10:14 AM
nocages4me
Tourer

Originally Posted by Don W.

HaHa I was waiting for someone to jump on this one. It is true there are reasons to trailer but not all. I have seen guys trailer thier bike to Daytona and we lived in Savannah at the time. Hell by the time the got the trailer hooked up and loaded I was already 1/2 way to Daytona. I agree with you way to many trailers at bike events but to each thier own just park for damn trailers somewhere else other than the hotel parking lot so everyone else has room to park.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Don W.
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1badbagger

I normally wouldn't take my time to reply to the trailer bashing macho men, but hey, it's early morning and I have a seminar to go to and a few extra minutes, so.......
when traveling to Ohio or Florida to see family, it's greta to take the wife, her boxer dog and the Harley. I don't have to pay for a kennel, she has the car to go see her famiuly or friends and I have the bike to go see mine. There are numerous reasons guys sometimes choose to trailer, don't let the macho men concern you. I put 15K miles a year on my Harley and another 5K or so on my Yamaha FZ6 and I trailer whenever I need to.
Damn dude.....did someone **** in your Wheaties this morning? You can't tell by the smileys, etc., that it was said in a fun natured way? You know, the same as calling a windshield a wimpshield. Do you have that much of a complex that you have to go all defensive and sh*t. You really need to lighten up or lay off the coffee man. I hope the rest of your day went better for you! Ride (and or trailer ) safe!....... That was a joke, notice the smiley!

Macho Macho Man...I want to be a Macho man...
Cmon now ...you know your singing it!!

Quick Reply: Tying down bagger on a trailer