Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start terminal leave this week..Kinda nervous

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:41 AM
spaug
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retirement

Went through the same feelings. I retired July 2007. Started off with the full beard and ended with a goatee...mullet bad...

I took 6 weeks off and fixed everything that had been negelected around the house. Job search was easy...now I play a lot of golf and ride every chance I get....Good luck with everything

Old 07-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Rick14221
Tourer

I retired from the USMC in 99. Found a job while on terminal leave and have been there ever since. Had some readjusting to do as civilians bring different attitudes. Was recognized as one of the top 10% employees after my first year in a company that employs 50,000 + There is life after the military. Enjoy your weekends

Old 07-13-2009, 09:07 AM
KBrown53
Road Captain

Smiddy - I also want to say THANKS for your years of sacrifices and service to our country!!

Best wishes in the next chapter of your life.

Ride Safe!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:16 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

smiddyt,
Thank you for your service!

Hair style? If you're like most of us...you'll end up keeping your hair the way it 'has' been. I did venture into the unknown for a 5 year period, but found that I hated having to take care of it (having worn a flat-top for so many years prior).

Job situation...Military.com!!! There ARE jobs out there! Also...utilize EVERY resource available and do not be shy about it! You have EARNED the right to use any and all resources to assist you. This transition will definitely be interesting for you and your family. There are tons of Vet's here on the Forum, so (speaking for myself), feel free to PM us if you have questions, etc.

Good luck and God Speed.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:22 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

no mullet, look at the federal agencies all readily hire vets--they have a proven work record and most turn out to be the most valuable employees.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Thanks for your service and like some others have said take some time off, do some riding and don't sweat it too bad!! Things happen real fast in todays world and you shouldn't have a problem finding work.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:31 AM
ivel_86
Tourer

Hey CONGRATS first off. I...have 17 more years to be in your shoes. All I can say it times are diffrent now. There are some many resourses out there to help with a job. Or help with anything at all. Once again like all the others say. RIDE RIDE RIDE and enjoy your earned every second of it.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:54 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why do they call retirement "terminal leave"?

Good luck in your next career.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was worried also. But I knew that after working over 20 years as a Aviation Boatswain's Mate Launching and recovering birds for years on end, and at sea (you’d suc a dic for an 18 hour day) working till you drop in hot un ventilated spaces working with hard headed bucks on machinery not meant to be worked with tools you had to beg borrow or steal and not having parts cause the enemy (supply) never had em. And still having the most available equipment in the fleet. I knew I could be successful ANY-WHERE ELSE in the world.
And you know what? I’m not doing too badly for white boy with no rhythm.
Don't worry - It doesnt do any good anyway.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:05 AM
2K1FLHPI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hm, if I was just retiring from military service and had a touring bike, I would be crisscrossing the country I spent so many years serving before pursuing the next career step.

Quick Reply: Start terminal leave this week..Kinda nervous