Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Volume Low with MP3

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE I have set both the Zune and the Zumo volumes to their maximums.
[/QUOTE]

I have an FLHTC and a Zumo and have plenty of volume both for navigation commands and playing MP3 files on the Zumo. With the Zumo 550, touch the wrench, touch volume, and check that Navigation and MP3/Audible are set at 100%. If they aren't, set them to 100% by repeatedly touching the right speaker icon to increase volume.

Next, increase the volume to max using the speaker button on the Zumo. Then you should be able to control the volume with the bike's volume control.

This is assuming you have a patch cord between the Zumo and the radio with the radio set on AUX.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 AM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Since there are multiple sources for these in line amps, I know that I am not alone with this problem.

Yes the Zune's volume was set to its maximum. However, I did notice that my Zumo 660 has a mixer setting. Some yoyo had the master set to 80%, but media volume was at 100% and nav was at 0% (as it should be, I don't need a strange women's voice telling be which way to go). With the master up to 100% the mp3 volume off the bike is louder.

Hopefully, this change will make a noticeable difference on the bike. If not, I will try one of those in line amps.

Thanks,

Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Chief X
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shartflhs
I had the same problem. I went to Radio Shack and bought a Boostaroo. It is a small amplifier that runs on a 'aa' battery that boosts the signal. Works very well, can now hear everything. Cost about $30.

That's what I use too. Works awesome.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:33 AM
gmc
Road Warrior

I don't know when but there is a 8.19.0 download that I think also was suppose to address some of these issues. Your HD service guy can check or there is a procedure in the other v-twin forum that shows you how to check for your current version.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 PM
MajorUltra
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default +1 on boostaroo

I have used this on my old 99 EGlide and now on my 09 Ultra. They are cheap...find on Amazon, ebay, etc. or there is a similar one at RadioShack. I plug my MP3 into it and then to the plug in the radio. works very well and since it runs on 2 AA batteries for a LONG time, it is easy to find replacemnts when they die.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:31 PM
bissjim
Cruiser
Smile You Might Know This

Originally Posted by OD_Cleaver
I have an '08 Electra Glide Classic with the standard radio and only the front two speakers.

The radio volume is fine for AM or FM, but when I plug in my Zune mp3 player or my Garmin Zumo, I need to crank the radio volume way up to hear it. I have set both the Zune and the Zumo volumes to their maximums.

Am I missing some setting or is this just the way it is?

Thanks,
You might know this already but when it comes to the Zumo there are 2, I say again 2 volume control settings. If you are listening to MP3 files on the Zumo and both volume setting are maxed out then it’s possible the record gain was set low when you ripped the songs to MP3. The stock radio should blare out the MP3 tunes from the Zumo without an amp. If it does not then you have a problem with the Zumo, Radio or like I said the Gain was set too low when you ripped the songs on the MP3’s.

There are free MP3 gain programs available online. Try one before you go out and spend money it may do the trick for you.

I rip my songs with a gain of 96 and with the Zumo MP3 volume set for 90% I don’t have to turn the radio volume up above 5 bars on speakers and about 4 bars with the helmet speakers.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:05 PM
kcpd4573
2nd Gear
Default Aux volume with Zumo 550

I installed the zumo 550 on my 07 Ultra. I have an audio cord go from the unit to the radio. The problem is when I get to highway speeds I can barely here the voice, even with the volume cranked all the way up. I then plugged in the XM antenna and rode highway speeds listening to the test channel 1. Again I could barely hear it with the volume cranked all the way up. I have both the voice and sound maxed at 100% on the zumo also. May have to get an amp installed to boost the sound output from the aux setting. The others, FM, AM, CD, CB, WX, work fine. Just aux from the zumo 550 is bad.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Standard
Tourer

please try this....

Go to Radioshack and buy a cord for the aux port and borrow an ipod from a friend. Plug it into your radio and switch from the radio to the ipod. You will be amazed and then you will buy an ipod.

Just another idiot and his opinion....