Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting the EFI Harley Davidson motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:25 PM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the 06" touring owners manual....

1) Turn ignition/headlamp key switch to ignition position. Do not roll the throttle

NOTE
The engine lamp will light for approximately 4 seconds and you will hear the fuel pump purr for approximately 2 seconds as it oeperates to fill the fuel lines with gasoline.

2) turn the off/run switch to run position

3) Press the starter button to start motorcycle

PS...I use this method and I also have the PCIII installed........

Last edited by hogowner69; 07-16-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:36 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm one that has a PCIII and the starter makes a lot of noise on hot starts. I also was one that waited for all the lights to cycle.

In the last week or so I've changed to hit the switch and crank her up. What do you know, no more noise.

Yea, my salesman said to wait, now I can't wait to get home to read the owners manual for myself.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2004 Touring Models Owner's Manual

1. Put the off/run switch in the RUN position and the transmission in nuetral.Nuetral (green) indicator lamp should be illuminated.

2. Turn ignition /headlamp key switch to ON and push the START switch to operate starter motor.

That's it.Nothing about waiting for anything.

As for as the dealership saying to wait with nothing in the manuals to back it up....kinda like how they also say to bring your scoot in every 2.5k miles to change all the fluids,with nothing said like that in the manuals.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Ultra Rider 03
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I wait a few seconds after the light and NP's What ever works for you but if I start mine before the lights go out my speedometer dosn't work right, if I wait everything is fine.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:36 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I will try to be as simplistic as possible, All fuel injected vehicles run on a pressurized system. When you shut the engine down a injection system will remain pressurized for a long period of time, this is why the motor will start right away if your EFI system is in good repair. The Mo cos concern is that if your EFI system is not 100 % it may bleed of pressure and premature starts may fail and flooding of the motor or worse may happen leaving you stranded and with a hefty repair bill. I could wright another page on this but I hope this is a simple over view.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:07 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm no rocket surgeon but I think the reason it would start quicker is because you're not sitting around waiting for the lights to go out therefore it is started sooner. Just a theory on my part.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:07 PM
crewchief25
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds to me like some of us need our IAC presets adjusted....

Old 07-16-2009, 08:35 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
My bike starts immediately when i hit start, whether I wait for the light to go out or not. So I figure, if the experts (MOCO) say to wait for the light to go off why not wait? I'm pretty sure they know what they are talking about and have a reason for it.
which experts would you be referring to? the ones that said that synthetic oil causes bearing skate?

Originally Posted by Ultra Rider 03
Well I wait a few seconds after the light and NP's What ever works for you but if I start mine before the lights go out my speedometer dosn't work right, if I wait everything is fine.
thats why i said to wait until the computer resets before hitting the run/off switch to run. give the computer time to reset, then hit the switch to run, give it a second to pressurize, hit the start button.....

Originally Posted by hogowner69

guys, i don't know if you noticed this or not, but the check engine light does not illuminate until you flip the run/off switch into the run position.......

1) Turn ignition/headlamp key switch to ignition position. Do not roll the throttle

NOTE
The engine lamp will light for approximately 4 seconds and you will hear the fuel pump purr for approximately 2 seconds as it oeperates to fill the fuel lines with gasoline.

so do you wait or not? it doesn't say anything about waiting, it just says that the lamp will light for 4 seconds......

Last edited by skratch; 07-16-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by hogowner69

NOTE

My manual says the same....but you and I would sit there a long time waiting to hear the fuel pump purr, as the engine light does not come on nor does the fuel pump "purr" until after step 2 !

Old 07-16-2009, 09:12 PM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
which experts would you be referring to? the ones that said that synthetic oil causes bearing skate?

thats why i said to wait until the computer resets before hitting the run/off switch to run. give the computer time to reset, then hit the switch to run, give it a second to pressurize, hit the start button.....

so do you wait or not? it doesn't say anything about waiting, it just says that the lamp will light for 4 seconds......

I wait..I turn on the run switch....turn on the ignition switch..wait for the light to go off...then start the bike....

Quick Reply: Starting the EFI Harley Davidson motorcycle