Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you wire in your Zumo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:00 PM
mr sig
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run a search on here for Merlins ZUMO POWERLET TECHMOUNT quick disconnect. He did the best job of anyone on here. Just my opion

Old 09-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Ferggie
Advanced
Default Zumo on / off bike

My concern is I move my Zumo back and forth from my truck to the bike. I thought it might be a better move to wire it to the AUX so I can switch the power off to the cradel when the garmin is not being used on the bike. Concerned about having the cradel hot all the time even when vacant.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:50 AM
yeliab
Novice

SKYDRIFTER: Great detailed information. Just got the marine plug and will be using it to hook up as on my other bikes it was a real pain to remove the power cable prior to removing the holder on trips.
Thanks for taking the time to make such an informative post.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:49 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sifularson
Hey Rod,

If you don't like having your Zumo mounted on the vibrating bars, you can get a Kuryakyn fuel door mount. I hid all the wiring. Here's the thread . . . https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ble-wires.html Here's what it looks like . . .

I don't care much for having to look down to see the gps, on the handlebar you can see the gps and the road at the same time

Old 09-24-2009, 01:55 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferggie
My concern is I move my Zumo back and forth from my truck to the bike. I thought it might be a better move to wire it to the AUX so I can switch the power off to the cradel when the garmin is not being used on the bike. Concerned about having the cradel hot all the time even when vacant.

That is exactly what I did with mine. I wasn't using the AUX switch for anything else so why not. Also, it's fused.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:11 PM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
I wired mine to the unused connectors behind the headlight. Then I wired in a two pole flat connector in line at the cradle so I can remove the whole cradle if I want. I also use a locking **** instead of the regular one.
Dawg,

I know you made your post a long time ago but I wanted to comment on your second picture on the flat 2 pole connector. If I am looking at it correctly you shou switch teh wires around on both connectors. If you ever ride without the GPS your positive wire would be exposed and could short to ground if it came in contact with anything, possibitly even you.

Just food for thought.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:47 AM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ran mine the hard way, through the wire trough under the fuel tank, installed fuse block wire in empty fuse block slot and ground wire to bolt on frame. used H-D handle bar mount

Old 09-25-2009, 01:09 AM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed my power into the aux switch on the dash

Old 09-25-2009, 01:23 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rstekeur
I don't care much for having to look down to see the gps, on the handlebar you can see the gps and the road at the same time
You do have a point about looking down. That's my mount in the picture. I've had it that way for over 20K miles. It's not much different than looking down to see the speedo or tach.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:22 PM
hunter3705
Stage I

I cut the end of the power lead and put one of the two-prong Yausa connections on it. Then I put my battery tender lead onto the battery, and I just plug the Zumo into the battery tender plug. I'm never using both at the same time, so it's not an issue. I ran the power lead under the tank back to the battery. Works great.

Quick Reply: How did you wire in your Zumo?