Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rinehart TDs vs. BUB7 TDs vs. Slip-ons?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:40 PM
SixSixRider
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Rinehart TDs vs. BUB7 TDs vs. Slip-ons?

Despite being new to this forum, I suspect this topic has been beaten-to-death, but I'd like THE most current input.

I just got a '09 FLTR - love the bike, hate the wimpy-sounding pipes. I had Rinehart TDs on my '06 FHLR and loved them. They don't yet make Rinehart TD's for the '09 touring models and many have speculated on why. Regardless, they don't make'em and when/if they will is uncertain. So my question is, do I go with BUB7 TDs which are available or go to Rinehart slip-ons? I've that the BUB7's are a bit quieter, but deeper. And while I didn't notice any performance loss on my '06 FLHR, I suspect both Rinehart and BUB7 TD's have the potential to cause some loss. The slip-ons will likely avoid this problem and retain the pipe cross-talk which most technical folks agree is a plus - BUT how will they sound (vs. TDs)?

KKarey
'09 FLTR & '08 Custom Chopper

Old 08-05-2009, 02:25 PM
S&RSGLIDE07
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had Rinehart true duals and now I have BUB 7 true duals. The BUB 7's sound way better to me. They also sound louder when you crack on the throttle. IMO I would go with the BUB 7's. True duals or slip ons depends on what you want to spend. The true duals sure sound nice though.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:11 PM
SixSixRider
Club Member

Originally Posted by S&RSGLIDE07
I have had Rinehart true duals and now I have BUB 7 true duals.
The most important consideration for me is getting the right sound - not wake-the-neighbors-loud, but a nice deep growl....you know what I mean. Why'd you switch from the Rineharts to the BUB7s?....I can't imagine.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:18 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Rinehart TDs on my bike, and even though 10 other guys i ride with have them everyone swears my bike is louder? Is it because i've had them longer, i'm sure cam changes have some affect, etc etc. What i am getting at, you will get slightly different sound depending on the bike you are running them on, how you ride, how long you've had them, and so on and so on.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:19 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Welcome to forum. Bub 7 Slip Ons have a great following on this forum. Read up!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...d-oh-yeah.html

Old 08-05-2009, 03:50 PM
m3breecer
Cruiser

The Rinehart slip ons on a 09 will be quiet compered to a true dual in Rinehart or Bub 7. I have Bub 7 true duals on mine and have a good friend with rineharts td they sound similar but the Bub 7 is diffrent. I would go with the Bub 7 true duals cause true duals give you the best sound.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:15 PM
S&RSGLIDE07
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KKarey
The most important consideration for me is getting the right sound - not wake-the-neighbors-loud, but a nice deep growl....you know what I mean. Why'd you switch from the Rineharts to the BUB7s?....I can't imagine.

Got an itch went and for a 2-1 and sold my Rineharts. Did not like the 2-1. I consider it an upgrade though. The BUB 7's sound way better than than Rineharts did plus they are far less expensive. $599 delivered from Eastern Performance delivered to the door.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:27 PM
SixSixRider
Club Member

Originally Posted by acchd
Welcome to forum. Bub 7 Slip Ons have a great following on this forum. Read up!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...d-oh-yeah.html
Wow!...a great following and lots of good feedback. I'm now leaning WAAAAAY toward the Bub7s. What about mapping changes. The '09 FLTR is the first fuel-injected HD I've owned and other than hearing the term ("mapping") I don't have a clue how its done, what's involved, and/or if its needed. I was told that the ignition would accomodate TDs w/o adjustment but that I'd likely lose a little performance with changes. I could REALLY use some how-to help on this one!!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:50 PM
bpez317
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still not sure if you need the true duals for the '09 with the new header design.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KKarey
Wow!...a great following and lots of good feedback. I'm now leaning WAAAAAY toward the Bub7s. What about mapping changes. The '09 FLTR is the first fuel-injected HD I've owned and other than hearing the term ("mapping") I don't have a clue how its done, what's involved, and/or if its needed. I was told that the ignition would accomodate TDs w/o adjustment but that I'd likely lose a little performance with changes. I could REALLY use some how-to help on this one!!
Check the vid on the above link. I had true duals and Rinehart 2into1. I LOVE these bub7s!

Quick Reply: Rinehart TDs vs. BUB7 TDs vs. Slip-ons?