Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 FLHX Stock seat help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 07:32 PM
jtb4ever
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im glad i read this! i will be checking mine tomorrow......good luck everyone

Old 09-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Fatcachi
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1100 on my 09 that I just checked. No dent, but my tab definately doesn't have the same angle that Mike5959 has. I jiggled it around and pushed hard on the back of the seat with no flex to be concerned about.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Silverslider
Tourer
Default Just checked mine

Your post made me curious so I just went out and checked the seat and fender on my 09 Street Glide. I am still using the stock seat. No dent in the fender. One thing I did notice looking at your third picture (the one showing the close up of your seat mounted to the fender) and comparing it to my glide; my tab lays almost flat and follows the contour of the fender. In the picture you can see how yours arcs up. I can see how that would put uneven pressure on the bolt cause this part of the fender to flex. Makes me wonder if they had a bad batch of seats that had an incorrect bend geometry on the tab.

Thanks for the watchout and a bump for all you 09 owners to check.

Just curious when you bought your Street Glide? last year? I bought mine in June. Am wondering if everyone with the dented fender bought their's (or were manufactured) around the same time. This would mean a production run of out of spec seats.

Last edited by Silverslider; 09-12-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: added a question
Old 09-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Mike5959
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the seat tab was flat in the begining. the seat pan broke and the tab bends onn acceleration. Same seats as 2010 i believe.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:08 AM
bking
Advanced

Originally Posted by Neal Smith
I have a 2009 Streetglide I have had three seats replaced and three fenders replaced. Harley Davidson had my dealer add two bolts under the seat with spacers stating that it does not have saddlebag guards on it so the seat has nothing to hit against if you noticed the two dimples under the cheap plastic seat pan that is what Harley wants the bolts to hit against. I have been on the phone with customer service many times no answer yet. Still we just keep changing parts instead of addressing the problem. I am not a Harley mechanic but have built a few bikes and worked on plenty this is a design flaw it seems to me that the seat is compressing because of the cheap seat pan and the one 1/4 in. bolt in the fender to to hold the seat on. Please let me know what you find out because I don't know what else to do my bike is only two months old and I am starting to dislike it.
So, the issue starts with the seat pan? Where/how can I check if it's cracked? Neal, did the two bolts/spacers "fix" the problem? I just checked and I don't have an issue YET. Will an aftermarket two up fix the problem? If so, is it just because it's a better seat pan? As stated, don't have a problem yet, and just assume avoid it.

Great post! Thank you!

Old 10-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Monkeypaddle
Stage IV
Default Same trouble with stock seat

Sorry I did not see this thread a month ago. I am having the same trouble....I am on my third stock seat because the tongue is breaking the plastic bracket on the seat. When this happened my local dealer ordered me a new fender. They have been having trouble with getting the fender...just order communication problems...but this is under full manufacture warranty and should not cost you a dime!!

The stock seat has a poor design....when you pay that much for anything...all parts should be high quality. Very dissapointed. My advice to you is..tell your dealer you want a new fender.

Steve
2009 FLHX

Attached Thumbnails 2009 FLHX Stock seat help!-100_1211.jpg  
Old 12-11-2009, 09:58 PM
jendukes77
Stage III

just got my streetglide back today and the new fender and new seat look awesome! also the service tech added spacers in order to compensate for the new designed rear fender(no bars around bag) hoping this doesnt happen again until harley comes up with a more permanant fix!

Old 12-12-2009, 07:52 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

My buddy's '09:

My 2010 is almost as bad. The seat sucks, the pan flexes way too much. Acceleration bumps cause this to happen. When a passenger is on the seat it's fine. Rider alone and the seat moves all over the place.

I'm considering getting a LePera or Corbin seat, as they have a rigid seat pan. This would limit movement and fender damage. Thanks HD for your cheap junk seat.

He had the seat and fender replaced under warranty. He also installed two blocks of 1" square tubing (maybe 2" long) where the rear bag supports go to hold the seat in place. It's much improved, and we're having the same blocks milled out of aluminum as a permanent fix.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Rnemhrd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JCleary
My buddy's '09:

My 2010 is almost as bad. The seat sucks, the pan flexes way too much. Acceleration bumps cause this to happen. When a passenger is on the seat it's fine. Rider alone and the seat moves all over the place.

I'm considering getting a LePera or Corbin seat, as they have a rigid seat pan. This would limit movement and fender damage. Thanks HD for your cheap junk seat.

He had the seat and fender replaced under warranty. He also installed two blocks of 1" square tubing (maybe 2" long) where the rear bag supports go to hold the seat in place. It's much improved, and we're having the same blocks milled out of aluminum as a permanent fix.
That is what my 09 did. They warrentied the fender and seat.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:40 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow that looks like **** i have an 09 but i changed my seat the day i brought the bike home. i kept my seat off my roadglide which was a c&c solo seat glad i did that good luck to everyone with this problem.

Quick Reply: 2009 FLHX Stock seat help!