Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys Nickel and Dime Bull$h!t

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:32 AM
ken b
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Harleys Nickel and Dime Bull$h!t

I don't know about you guys but I am totally frustrated with Harley's Nickel and Dime bullshit.

I go to buy a backrest for my SG. The Parts guy comes out with the backrest and a Mount kit. I'm like WTF, the mount kit doesn't come with the Backrest?

Then there are the comfort saddle bag gaurds. Just the ring costs the same as the entire standard kit.

In the short time I have been buying parts and goodies for my bike I am totally fed up with Harley's pricing. Another for instance: Streamliner foot pegs to match the SG. Well they are $159!!!! No other foot peg that they sell comes close to this price. They are just taking advantage of owners that want to keep with the Streamliner theme.

I can understand breaking sub assembilies up because people may want to use other items with those things. But GEEZE... Rant off.

I can hear you guys already.....I know, I know......Just feeling a bit robbed is all. LOL

Old 08-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Tyroneshoelaces
Cruiser

It's called a captive audience!!!

Old 08-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ken b
I don't know about you guys but I am totally frustrated with Harley's Nickel and Dime bullshit.

I go to buy a backrest for my SG. The Parts guy comes out with the backrest and a Mount kit. I'm like WTF, the mount kit doesn't come with the Backrest?

Then there are the comfort saddle bag gaurds. Just the ring costs the same as the entire standard kit.

In the short time I have been buying parts and goodies for my bike I am totally fed up with Harley's pricing. Another for instance: Streamliner foot pegs to match the SG. Well they are $159!!!! No other foot peg that they sell comes close to this price. They are just taking advantage of owners that want to keep with the Streamliner theme.

I can understand breaking sub assembilies up because people may want to use other items with those things. But GEEZE... Rant off.

I can hear you guys already.....I know, I know......Just feeling a bit robbed is all. LOL
I agree with you. When I heard they separated the adjustable backrest from the mount I said WTF.

When I bought mine it was a kit....Is it to save packaging, or just to make it appear less expensive? Then again, is it to offer a replacement without the mount? Whatever it is, it seems to be poor marketing.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:47 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Try buying online Ken, you will save 20%, research the forum here for any part you plan to buy, you will save money and make better decisions that wont **** you off as much. I hate the nickle and dime crap too but have done pretty well using the tools mentioned above, ebay also has some good deals.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:53 AM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup, figure out the part numbers you need and buy on line! You will save a lot of cash.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 AM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with MasterBlaster.....Buy online and you will save alot and also keep your wits as well......I never go to the STEALER for anything unless I don't have a choice, but with so many choices online it helps me from going BALISTIC....

Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain

Three bits of advice...

1) Buy online (Zanotti's for example).
2) Buy aftermarket
3) Don't buy. There's nothing in the Accessories catalog that you really need.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:57 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't agree more. I save up to buy a new part only to find it takes another $50 - $100 to make it fit. Or like the visor ring to go on my headlamp....yeah....had to read HDForums to figure out how to make it fit better than the factory instructions. I love my bike but this add on stuff is an addicting habit

Old 08-16-2009, 10:58 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Hehehe, we really dont need a bike but you know the rest of the story hehehe.

Originally Posted by KopperTop
Three bits of advice...

1) Buy online (Zanotti's for example).
2) Buy aftermarket
3) Don't buy. There's nothing in the Accessories catalog that you really need.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Neognosis
Banned

I'm pissed off about that too... 179 bucks for a luggage rack, PLUS 50 bucks for some washers and bolts to mount it.

But maybe that's how they can afford to sell their bikes so inexpensively...

HAHAHA!

But I bought it... and so did you.... so obviously they have figured out exactly where the line is between people buying and walking away... so... can't blame a company for trying to make money. But this does open up the door for some cottage industries to produce comparable, but less expensive, products I suppose.

Quick Reply: Harleys Nickel and Dime Bull$h!t