Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Picking Bluetooth Headset PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 03:15 AM
dnitram
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help Picking Bluetooth Headset PLEASE

My wife has gotten to the point that she really likes to ride as a passenger and I’m OK with that. What has been absolutely driving me nuts is that no matter how many times I tell her that “I CAN’T HEAR YOU!!” when she starts talking to me, it just doesn’t seem to sink in. So, it looks like it’s time to do something about it! She’s a lot of FUN and I want to be able to hear her, I really do need your help, suggestions and input.

We need a Bluetooth brand that will fit on a ¾ face with flip up visor (my Shoei) and a full face (Hers). I might add that it would be nice if I could link it up with a Zumo 550 GPS for directions, too. If they were voice operated and not push to talk, that would be a big plus. What have you found works best and would recommend? Sena, Scala, Blue Ant?? Thanks for your help!!

Old 09-10-2011, 04:57 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For lots of information on headsets and a garmin zumo, go to www.zumoforums.com and do a search for bluetooth headsets. Lots of info there. I recently got to experiance a Sema paired with a zumo 660. The Sema has technical issues with its bluetooth and a garmin, especially when you have it paired and then want to use the intercom because of the way they have to disconnect each of the bluetooth devices to open the intercom channel. Sema did just recently release a new firmware that is supposed to resolve the garmin/intercom issues.

Seem to be lots of happy people the the Scala systems, but they are more exensive. Overall, my experiance with the bluetooth stuff was quite a hassle.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Scala G4, Zumo 550 and iphone. This combo worked great for about a year. Over a couple of months, all 3 were updated to new software levels and thats were they lost compadibility. I have to jump thru flaming hoops to get them connected and about 30 minutes later they lose bt function with each other.

I truly believe its the software level in the GPS.

To answer your question, Cardo Scala G4 will do what your wanting.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had the early Scala Team Set for 4 or 5 years. We both wear 3/4 helmets, hers with a face shield, mine open. The Scala paired with my Zumo 550 without any problem. I had a problem with one phone pairing with the 550, but have since changed phones & solved the problem. For the most part the intercom works well. It can be set to either stay connected, or connect when you speak LOUDLY. The volume is adequate, but could be louder. We solved the problem by velcroing some pads in the helmet to move the speaker closer to our ears. The later versions of Scala may be somewhat better. The voice directions from the 550 are a major help, but even if the ambient noise prevents you from hearing the details the Zumo tone alert will warn you to look at the GPS screen. Makes using a GPS a real pleasure.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:16 AM
WZ4I
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Several of the folks I ride with use the Sena's. I have 3 helmets setup with different mounts. All 3 work as expected. I'm not using a Garmin 550 GPS, I use a Motorola Droid X. That one device gives me, phone, music, and GPS. The range we get helmet to helmet varies. Open highway, about 1/2 mile, mountain roads about 1/4 mile. Sena has just released a BT hub that allows connection of multi devices, including several FRS radios. The Sena's are very easy to use while riding. Even with gloves. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ner-report.htm

Old 09-10-2011, 07:02 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the Scala Q2, it worked OK, could use more volume and it's not stereo, I got the Q4 as it is stereo but the volume is still not adaquate. The Q4 also has paring problems. I now have the J&M, works great, stereo and LOUD.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:55 AM
motorrader
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Scala G4 Powerset is awesome!

Old 09-10-2011, 08:28 AM
dnitram
Road Master

Thanks for your suggestions so far. Has anyone tried/used the Sena SMH10D-01B ? I believe Cyclebots is a sponsor here... wondering IF they give any discounts to forum members? http://cyclebots.com/bluetooth-helme...com-29820.html

Old 09-10-2011, 09:13 AM
bstepHD
Advanced

My wife and I are happy with the Scala Rider Teamset Pro. Clarity is excellent and pairs with our cell phones so I'm sure any Bluetooth device will work. This is for intercom only...not bike to bike and is not too expensive.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a the Scala Q2, worked awesome. Volume was an issue at first, but was told that headphone position has a lot to do with it. We adjusted them and all worked great. The Q2 had a hook-up for external items, wife hooked her Ipod into it, I used the built-in FM radio. Battery life was about 1.5 times the advertised length. Also used to pull her head-set and put in someone else's for group rides, the range was pretty darn good for front to back of pack riding.

Quick Reply: Help Picking Bluetooth Headset PLEASE