Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HQ 107 advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:43 AM
Hammer107
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanl
Or you could just try calling HQ.....

If you want to be insulted thats your perogative, im willing to except that perhaps I misunderstood your post. I even stated that in my own post, of course you didnt quote that part. A full blown port job is not necessary to set compression to desired levels, and strip the paint out. And like I said, HQ DOES THIS as part of their "PROFESSIONAL PORTING". This alone can be done for around $300 from most places. And set up by someone who knows what they are doing and the right cam, you will see a nice bump in performance. No magic tricks there. Im sure the OP will be happy with his package, and I never said anything to the contrary.
If I came across as being a little abrasive, or hurt someones feelings.
Well, the internet is definatly not the place for thin skin.
You continue to not grasp the very basic concept that you are putting words in Phil's mouth. He never said you couldn't set compression levels without a full port job, he never said you couldn't strip paint out of heads without a professional port job and he never said that they couldn't be setup to match the right cam for less money.

You're arguing with an argument that didn't exist and I'd dare to say that you are arguing with someone who has forgotten more about setting up Harley engines than you know.....which kind of makes you look even more stupid.

But by all means, don't let that stop you from continuing because the internet is definitely the place for stupid.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:13 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Okay I just did the HQ 107 and I am not happy. I had to leave the country for 3 weeks for work the day after the bike was finished and only put a 100+ miles on it, so not am I only not happy, I am pissed. Stuck in Dalian China tonight (Friday Night in China), I think I will go to a Russian rock club with a Fillipino band and drown my sorrows in Jin Tao beer.

On my little pre tune break in I got on it a little getting back on teh Fla Tpk and I swear it felt like the fron wheel came off the ground. I could have just imagined it, but it felt that way.

Ryan, relax man, nobody banging on BadBoyz, or any other supplier here, just giving advice and sharing experiences. Talking complete packages vs head work two different things.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:24 AM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer107
You continue to not grasp the very basic concept that you are putting words in Phil's mouth. He never said you couldn't set compression levels without a full port job, he never said you couldn't strip paint out of heads without a professional port job and he never said that they couldn't be setup to match the right cam for less money.

He said butchers clean up heads, and they will be boat anchors if you allow them to do it. Its a big joke because HQ doesnt do it.

My bad. I will try to pay more attention in the future.

Like i said, mostly I think phils posts are very informative, but I absolutely disagree with the paragraph I quoted from his post.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:25 AM
ryanl
Tourer

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Okay I just did the HQ 107 and I am not happy. I had to leave the country for 3 weeks for work the day after the bike was finished and only put a 100+ miles on it, so not am I only not happy, I am pissed. Stuck in Dalian China tonight (Friday Night in China), I think I will go to a Russian rock club with a Fillipino band and drown my sorrows in Jin Tao beer.

On my little pre tune break in I got on it a little getting back on teh Fla Tpk and I swear it felt like the fron wheel came off the ground. I could have just imagined it, but it felt that way.

Ryan, relax man, nobody banging on BadBoyz, or any other supplier here, just giving advice and sharing experiences. Talking complete packages vs head work two different things.

Glad to see an update on your build and that you are happy with the outcome, well mostly anyway

Im relaxed, I really dont care about bigboyz. Was just giving an example of a "Butcher" that cleans up heads. Phils words, not mine.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:14 AM
Hammer107
Road Master

The butcher comment wasn't referring to someone who cleans up heads....the butcher was someone who spends an hour or two cleaning up ports and then tries to pretend they are offering ported heads.

A clean up job that takes a couple of hours might be a great "value" for some but if anyone mistakes that kind of head with a professionally ported head that has been ported, researched, tested, air bench tested, dyno tested and then refined to the point that the results can be consistently and repeatedly duplicated then they are kidding themselves.

Most "clean up" porters end up doing more harm than good. The heads are shiny from the stuff they ground off. They look "ported" to a dummy that doesn't know any better but in reality the port volume and velocity have been ruined and they often times will underperform even to a stock set of untouched heads.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:07 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by albatross
How much concern is there with the stock crank when you bump to the 107?
A lot of the crank issues we read about have to do with how aggressive one rides. Things like wheelies (dunno who would do that), burnouts, excessive engine braking & dyno pulls are things that contribute to scissoring cranks.

I am only aware of two HQ builds that I've done experiencing crank issues and both were VERY aggressively riden. They were both 95ST's. One was an 05 and the other an 06 ~ which is odd since the general concensus is that 07 is when the stock cranks started getting weaker. Again... these two were ridden HARD for between 1 & 2 years each before the issue occurred. One is now an HQ103 & the other an HQ113.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:29 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Add me to the satisfied list of HQ users. Mines a 107ST, built by Phil, tuned by Ed Dahr, two of the very best in what they do. That has so much to do with it. My bike gets a steady 122ft/ftlb and 110 HP but really the important thing is that it runs like a stock motor when I want it to. Wonderful components and an absolute thrill to ride.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:04 PM
ryanl
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hammer107
The butcher comment wasn't referring to someone who cleans up heads....the butcher was someone who spends an hour or two cleaning up ports and then tries to pretend they are offering ported heads.

A clean up job that takes a couple of hours might be a great "value" for some but if anyone mistakes that kind of head with a professionally ported head that has been ported, researched, tested, air bench tested, dyno tested and then refined to the point that the results can be consistently and repeatedly duplicated then they are kidding themselves.

Most "clean up" porters end up doing more harm than good. The heads are shiny from the stuff they ground off. They look "ported" to a dummy that doesn't know any better but in reality the port volume and velocity have been ruined and they often times will underperform even to a stock set of untouched heads.
If this is indeed what Phil was getting at then I agree. Not sure it is, but this thread is probably derailed enough at this point. I understand all about ported heads, and when I had mine off I didnt bother with a quick clean up and cc, I went for the gusto. I figure get it done the first time.
Look forward to the OP posting about a positive outcome, and being as satisfied as some of the others that I continue to read about running HQ builds.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:14 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer

I had talked myself out of the HQ 107ST but hearing all the rave reviews, I may just have to jump back onboard!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:38 PM
jwatson12
Novice
Cool Sign me up for the 107ST!

My bike has been in the shop for six weeks. I heard HQ is 30 days behind on head work - things must be going well for them. With all this nice weather showing up, I cant wait to see what everyone is talking about.

Quick Reply: HQ 107 advice