Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   HQ 107 advice (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/393984-hq-107-advice.html)

Born2cure 08-27-2009 12:25 AM

HQ 107 advice

I'm considering the big bore 107st kit from Head Quarters. They quoted me $2300 for the kit which would include:

boring your cyls
reworking your heads
pistons
cams
pushrods
tubes

He claimed I can get 120+ tq and 110+hp excellent numbers and well worth it if true anybody else getting these results with this kit, after a proper tuning in. Now the SE stage IV kit is about he same price with a little less impressive but acceptable numbers results on the Dyno graph.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US..._SE10_Full.pdf

Looking for some advice, plus for those who did the HQ 107 is this all inclusive. will I have everything needed for this project.
As you can see I am no gear head, my buddy who has done a couple and will assist me (watch over my shoulder so I don't FU) all the way through. But I want to do the research and the purchase so when project is complete I just may be on leg to gear head status.

Just so you know I am looking for low to mid power I don't get the bike much over a 100 anymore but love the power off the line.
John

kansasroadking 08-27-2009 01:00 AM

I did a 95"ht pkg, they claim 90-100 hp & 95-105 tq, I made 96.43 hp and 100.47 tq, the key words are PROPER TUNING!!!!!

get on the hq q&a forum and ask Doug or Kevin, then follow their advise/recommendations TO THE LETTER, you will attain the claimed performance

the machine work/tolerances on the hq stuff will blow away the se crap... by a mile, that alone would be worth it to me, makes for a longer lasting build.

build it right, and you will do it only once.... don't penny pinch, if you spend an extra $800 or so now, you won't spend another 2-3k later... don't ask me how I know!

Harleypingman 08-27-2009 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Born2cure (Post 5494004)
I'm considering the big bore 107st kit from Head Quarters. They quoted me $2300 for the kit which would include:

boring your cyls
reworking your heads
pistons
cams
pushrods
tubes

He claimed I can get 120+ tq and 110+hp excellent numbers and well worth it if true anybody else getting these results with this kit, after a proper tuning in. Now the SE stage IV kit is about he same price with a little less impressive but acceptable numbers results on the Dyno graph.

Looking for some advice, plus for those who did the HQ 107 is this all inclusive. will I have everything needed for this project.
As you can see I am no gear head, my buddy who has done a couple and will assist me (watch over my shoulder so I don't FU) all the way through. But I want to do the research and the purchase so when project is complete I just may be on leg to gear head status.

Just so you know I am looking for low to mid power I don't get the bike much over a 100 anymore but love the power off the line.
John

PM PhilM and/or Dalton. PhilM has put together a bunch of HQ builds including the ST 107.

If you are going to fixate on peak dyno numbers, do something else. Peak numbers have little to do with rideability or the overall power of the engine since it's the area under the lines that represents the aggregate power of the engine. As for HD's stuff, it's mass-produced and the components are simply pulled from a shelf. Doug, the owner, does all of the machine work at HQ so you will get precision, individualized workmanship.

On the other hand, if you can find someone who has a properly assembled and tuned HQ ST 107 who is unhappy with the build, please report it because I've never seen one on HDF.

As for "anything else," a new pressure plate for the clutch should do it, along with HQ's black ops liftes. Nice thing about HQ is they aren't going to oversell you with roller rockers, larger throttle body, larger injectors, etc. that others push.

Good luck with your project.

ryanl 08-27-2009 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Harleypingman (Post 5494120)
If you are going to fixate on peak dyno numbers, do something else. Peak numbers have little to do with rideability or the overall power of the engine since it's the area under the lines that represents the aggregate power of the engine. As for HD's stuff, it's mass-produced and the components are simply pulled from a shelf.

Good advice.
$2300 is probably not too bad of a price. Does that include return shipping? Hard to say without knowing wether they are doing just a clean up of your heads, or something more extensive. Although Ive never used them, and have no reason to. Seems as though some here have had good luck with the HQ stuff.
As stated, at the bare minumum you will need to upgrade your clutch as well.

lkr0 08-27-2009 07:12 AM

I have had three HQs builds 103 and two 107s---I thought the 103 was fast but it cannot compete with the 107 --- the 107 simply hauls azz -- no problem getting the front wheet in the air or getting bike sideways -- neither of which I condone )stunting on a HD at bike night is dangerous) I have no numbers becuase I have the pro tuner (I'm not convinced this is the best way to tune a bike) and bike has never been on a Dyno -- you will also need a AIM VPC-92 the 107 will eat up a SE clutch plate -- I have no doubt you will get 110/120 most likely you will get more -- but the numbers don't tell the story -- the bike is easy to ride I have 7,200 miles on this 107 no motor issues at all --- I have gone through a belt but that is different story

boring your cyls
reworking your heads
pistons
cams
pushrods
tubes

John

rbabos 08-27-2009 07:53 AM

I'll let you guys know next spring, as the HQ 107 is on for the winter project. From what I've been reading, it's one of the best kick ass low budjet builds one could do.
Ron

Indianspringsaz 08-27-2009 07:58 AM

Is GMR still around? Is there any comparison with them and the HQ setup?

Lonewolf176 08-27-2009 09:11 AM

He claimed I can get 120+ tq and 110+hp excellent numbers and well worth it if true anybody else getting these results with this kit, after a proper tuning in.

John

My numbers are a little better but more important is how well it runs. Will the kit be all inclusive? No. You will need some gaskets, air cleaner, vpc 92 and a good tune. Absolutly top quality kit. As Pingman says " if you can find someone who has a properly assembled and tuned HQ ST 107 who is unhappy with the build, please report it because I've never seen one"

Biggzed 08-27-2009 09:40 AM

In addition to the lifters and clutch already mentioned, you will need the following off the top of my head:

Cylinder base o-ring
Oil return o-ring (under the cylinder)
Intake seals
Complete rocker box gasket kit
New rocker box breather filters
Exhaust gaskets
Oil pump o-rings (there are 3)
Inner cam bearings (Torrington B-168 iirc)
Cam cover gasket
Lifter block gaskets
Push rod tube o-rings (3 per tube iirc)
Oil

The HQ builds will deliver the numbers if properly assembled and tuned. My HQ 103ST numbers are in my sig. They start easy, run smooth, and have great rideability. You'll be happy I'm sure.

Zach

Edit to add: You will also need a couple of tools you may/may not have. You will need a ring compressor and an inner cam bearing remove/install tool. Also get yourself a tube of assembly lube. I bought a ring compressor from my local Napa store and it worked great. I did spring for the JIMS inner cam bearing install tool, but rented a puller from Auto Zone. Not the right tool, but I was careful and it worked.

kansasroadking 08-27-2009 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by ryanl (Post 5494206)
Good advice.
$2300 is probably not too bad of a price. Does that include return shipping? Hard to say without knowing wether they are doing just a clean up of your heads, or something more extensive. Although Ive never used them, and have no reason to. Seems as though some here have had good luck with the HQ stuff.
As stated, at the bare minumum you will need to upgrade your clutch as well.

you get a full port job, with all new parts.

jag1886 08-27-2009 06:15 PM

Head Quarters is a great place and I may deal with them again in the future, if they start answering the phone again. EMAIL comunication is not sufficiant when you are talking about dropping that much money.
If you won't talk to me you're not getting my money!

PhilM 08-27-2009 06:24 PM

All of the HQ builds I've done have produced.

I have been VERY impressed with the 107's.

As has been said, and I am a very firm believer that numbers don't tell the story. In fact, to me, numbers don't really mean sh1t. Having been down this road so many times, "Rideability" is what truly matters.

Have it assembled and tuned properly and you will be thoroughly satisfied. There is no comparing the HQ motors to S/E crud.

In reference to the "clean up" vs professional porting question..... You can NOT pay HQ to do a "clean-up". That's really a bit of a joke to say joeblow "cleaned up" the ports in my heads for only xxx $$$'s. What they really did was butcher them such that any professional won't even touch them. Kinda like a magic trick.... watch me turn a perfectly good set of heads into boat anchors.....

bigjohn1percenter 08-27-2009 07:35 PM

i have 26000 miles on my HQ 107ST, and i'm still more than trilled with it !!!!!!!! if you find someone with a HQ build that aint happy, you will never be able to make them happy,

ryanl 08-27-2009 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by PhilM (Post 5497532)
In reference to the "clean up" vs professional porting question..... You can NOT pay HQ to do a "clean-up". That's really a bit of a joke to say joeblow "cleaned up" the ports in my heads for only xxx $$$'s. What they really did was butcher them such that any professional won't even touch them. Kinda like a magic trick.... watch me turn a perfectly good set of heads into boat anchors.....

Seen many good combo's come out of shops like bigboyz that had just a basic street port/clean up of the heads. Very $$ efficient builds. Dont know if I would call Bean and the crew "BUTCHERS". Having the heads blueprinted "cleaned up" is essential, and part of the process of ANY PROFESSIONAL HEADWORK (even HQ). Dont know what kind of BS generalization your trying to make about only butchers cleaning up heads, and turning them into boat anchors.Your posts are usually pretty informative, but either I completely misunderstood you or you are just clueless in this arena.

PhilM 08-27-2009 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by ryanl (Post 5497885)
.... you are just clueless in this arena.

Thanks Pal!

Next time I need some advice I'll look you up.

Hammer107 08-27-2009 09:03 PM

Seen many good combo's come out of shops like bigboyz that had just a basic street port/clean up of the heads. Very $$ efficient builds. Dont know if I would call Bean and the crew "BUTCHERS". Having the heads blueprinted "cleaned up" is essential, and part of the process of ANY PROFESSIONAL HEADWORK (even HQ). Dont know what kind of BS generalization your trying to make about only butchers cleaning up heads, and turning them into boat anchors.Your posts are usually pretty informative, but either I completely misunderstood you or you are just clueless in this arena.

I'm going to go with C. You have no clue what you are talking about.

albatross 08-27-2009 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by PhilM (Post 5497532)
All of the HQ builds I've done have produced.

I have been VERY impressed with the 107's.

As has been said, and I am a very firm believer that numbers don't tell the story. In fact, to me, numbers don't really mean sh1t. Having been down this road so many times, "Rideability" is what truly matters.

Have it assembled and tuned properly and you will be thoroughly satisfied. There is no comparing the HQ motors to S/E crud.

How much concern is there with the stock crank when you bump to the 107?

Harleypingman 08-27-2009 09:23 PM

Yes, I believe you misunderstood Phil's point which is "cleaning up the ports" often results in the heads being useless for further, professional fully ported head work. Anyone with with a rotary tool can "clean up" ports. Now, if Phil had said something about BigBoyz specifically or street porting generally, you might have a bone to pick with his phrasing.

Your reference to "BS generalization" was, IMO, out of line given what Phil actually wrote and what you thought he wrote.

If you want to insult someone with profanity, pick somebody else; Phil is one of the really good guys on HDF.

Lonewolf176 08-28-2009 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Harleypingman (Post 5498496)
Yes, I believe you misunderstood Phil's point which is "cleaning up the ports" often results in the heads being useless for further, professional fully ported head work. Anyone with with a rotary tool can "clean up" ports. Now, if Phil had said something about BigBoyz specifically or street porting generally, you might have a bone to pick with his phrasing.

Your reference to "BS generalization" was, IMO, out of line given what Phil actually wrote and what you thought he wrote.

If you want to insult someone with profanity, pick somebody else; Phil is one of the really good guys on HDF.

Ahhh... Carl you said it so well...

ryanl 08-28-2009 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by PhilM (Post 5497971)
Thanks Pal!

Next time I need some advice I'll look you up.

Or you could just try calling HQ.....

If you want to be insulted thats your perogative, im willing to except that perhaps I misunderstood your post. I even stated that in my own post, of course you didnt quote that part. A full blown port job is not necessary to set compression to desired levels, and strip the paint out. And like I said, HQ DOES THIS as part of their "PROFESSIONAL PORTING". This alone can be done for around $300 from most places. And set up by someone who knows what they are doing and the right cam, you will see a nice bump in performance. No magic tricks there. Im sure the OP will be happy with his package, and I never said anything to the contrary.
If I came across as being a little abrasive, or hurt someones feelings.
Well, :icon_shrug: the internet is definatly not the place for thin skin.

Hammer107 08-28-2009 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by ryanl (Post 5499268)
Or you could just try calling HQ.....

If you want to be insulted thats your perogative, im willing to except that perhaps I misunderstood your post. I even stated that in my own post, of course you didnt quote that part. A full blown port job is not necessary to set compression to desired levels, and strip the paint out. And like I said, HQ DOES THIS as part of their "PROFESSIONAL PORTING". This alone can be done for around $300 from most places. And set up by someone who knows what they are doing and the right cam, you will see a nice bump in performance. No magic tricks there. Im sure the OP will be happy with his package, and I never said anything to the contrary.
If I came across as being a little abrasive, or hurt someones feelings.
Well, :icon_shrug: the internet is definatly not the place for thin skin.

You continue to not grasp the very basic concept that you are putting words in Phil's mouth. He never said you couldn't set compression levels without a full port job, he never said you couldn't strip paint out of heads without a professional port job and he never said that they couldn't be setup to match the right cam for less money.

You're arguing with an argument that didn't exist and I'd dare to say that you are arguing with someone who has forgotten more about setting up Harley engines than you know.....which kind of makes you look even more stupid.

But by all means, don't let that stop you from continuing because the internet is definitely the place for stupid.

:icon_attention:

masterblaster 08-28-2009 05:13 AM

Okay I just did the HQ 107 and I am not happy. I had to leave the country for 3 weeks for work the day after the bike was finished and only put a 100+ miles on it, so not am I only not happy, I am pissed. Stuck in Dalian China tonight (Friday Night in China), I think I will go to a Russian rock club with a Fillipino band and drown my sorrows in Jin Tao beer.

On my little pre tune break in I got on it a little getting back on teh Fla Tpk and I swear it felt like the fron wheel came off the ground. I could have just imagined it, but it felt that way.

Ryan, relax man, nobody banging on BadBoyz, or any other supplier here, just giving advice and sharing experiences. Talking complete packages vs head work two different things.

ryanl 08-28-2009 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer107 (Post 5499292)
You continue to not grasp the very basic concept that you are putting words in Phil's mouth. He never said you couldn't set compression levels without a full port job, he never said you couldn't strip paint out of heads without a professional port job and he never said that they couldn't be setup to match the right cam for less money.

He said butchers clean up heads, and they will be boat anchors if you allow them to do it. Its a big joke because HQ doesnt do it.

My bad. I will try to pay more attention in the future.

Like i said, mostly I think phils posts are very informative, but I absolutely disagree with the paragraph I quoted from his post.

ryanl 08-28-2009 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by masterblaster (Post 5499338)
Okay I just did the HQ 107 and I am not happy. I had to leave the country for 3 weeks for work the day after the bike was finished and only put a 100+ miles on it, so not am I only not happy, I am pissed. Stuck in Dalian China tonight (Friday Night in China), I think I will go to a Russian rock club with a Fillipino band and drown my sorrows in Jin Tao beer.

On my little pre tune break in I got on it a little getting back on teh Fla Tpk and I swear it felt like the fron wheel came off the ground. I could have just imagined it, but it felt that way.

Ryan, relax man, nobody banging on BadBoyz, or any other supplier here, just giving advice and sharing experiences. Talking complete packages vs head work two different things.

Glad to see an update on your build and that you are happy with the outcome, well mostly anyway :)

Im relaxed, I really dont care about bigboyz. Was just giving an example of a "Butcher" that cleans up heads. Phils words, not mine.

Hammer107 08-28-2009 06:14 AM

The butcher comment wasn't referring to someone who cleans up heads....the butcher was someone who spends an hour or two cleaning up ports and then tries to pretend they are offering ported heads.

A clean up job that takes a couple of hours might be a great "value" for some but if anyone mistakes that kind of head with a professionally ported head that has been ported, researched, tested, air bench tested, dyno tested and then refined to the point that the results can be consistently and repeatedly duplicated then they are kidding themselves.

Most "clean up" porters end up doing more harm than good. The heads are shiny from the stuff they ground off. They look "ported" to a dummy that doesn't know any better but in reality the port volume and velocity have been ruined and they often times will underperform even to a stock set of untouched heads.

PhilM 08-28-2009 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by albatross (Post 5498371)
How much concern is there with the stock crank when you bump to the 107?

A lot of the crank issues we read about have to do with how aggressive one rides. Things like wheelies (dunno who would do that), burnouts, excessive engine braking & dyno pulls are things that contribute to scissoring cranks.

I am only aware of two HQ builds that I've done experiencing crank issues and both were VERY aggressively riden. They were both 95ST's. One was an 05 and the other an 06 ~ which is odd since the general concensus is that 07 is when the stock cranks started getting weaker. Again... these two were ridden HARD for between 1 & 2 years each before the issue occurred. One is now an HQ103 & the other an HQ113.

GliderXXX 08-28-2009 12:29 PM

Add me to the satisfied list of HQ users. Mines a 107ST, built by Phil, tuned by Ed Dahr, two of the very best in what they do. That has so much to do with it. My bike gets a steady 122ft/ftlb and 110 HP but really the important thing is that it runs like a stock motor when I want it to. Wonderful components and an absolute thrill to ride.

ryanl 08-28-2009 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer107 (Post 5499480)
The butcher comment wasn't referring to someone who cleans up heads....the butcher was someone who spends an hour or two cleaning up ports and then tries to pretend they are offering ported heads.

A clean up job that takes a couple of hours might be a great "value" for some but if anyone mistakes that kind of head with a professionally ported head that has been ported, researched, tested, air bench tested, dyno tested and then refined to the point that the results can be consistently and repeatedly duplicated then they are kidding themselves.

Most "clean up" porters end up doing more harm than good. The heads are shiny from the stuff they ground off. They look "ported" to a dummy that doesn't know any better but in reality the port volume and velocity have been ruined and they often times will underperform even to a stock set of untouched heads.

If this is indeed what Phil was getting at then I agree. Not sure it is, but this thread is probably derailed enough at this point. I understand all about ported heads, and when I had mine off I didnt bother with a quick clean up and cc, I went for the gusto. I figure get it done the first time.
Look forward to the OP posting about a positive outcome, and being as satisfied as some of the others that I continue to read about running HQ builds.

KaponeWKYA 08-28-2009 03:14 PM

I had talked myself out of the HQ 107ST but hearing all the rave reviews, I may just have to jump back onboard!

jwatson12 03-11-2010 07:38 PM

Sign me up for the 107ST!

My bike has been in the shop for six weeks. I heard HQ is 30 days behind on head work - things must be going well for them. With all this nice weather showing up, I cant wait to see what everyone is talking about.

reds_racing 03-11-2010 08:12 PM

Phil is getting ready to do a 107 st on my 09 street glide and I cannot wait. I cannot imagine someone saying he is "clueless". He has been more informative than all of the harley shops I have spoken to put together. He has also been very patient with me as this is my first real investment into the big bore world.

PhilM 03-11-2010 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by reds_racing (Post 6383716)
Phil is getting ready to do a 107 st on my 09 street glide and I cannot wait. I cannot imagine someone saying he is "clueless". He has been more informative than all of the harley shops I have spoken to put together. He has also been very patient with me as this is my first real investment into the big bore world.

I'm look'n forward to it too... :)

I'll holler as soon as I hear an ETA on the return parts.

Dalton 03-11-2010 08:33 PM

Hey Red,

You are gonna love the HQ107ST. I just finished building one for mariner227. He swung by the house, picked up the bike and headed for Florida. Called me a few days later and it was evident that he was a happy camper, and it had yet to be tuned.

Phil does good work, he and the build will not dissapoint.

reds_racing 03-11-2010 08:46 PM

Thanks Dalton, I have absolutely zero doubt that I went with the right kit and right guy to do it. Now its just a hurry up and wait for the parts to get back. Oh, and figuring out a way to pay Phil without my ol' lady finding out!!!! :icon_eek:

producer 03-11-2010 09:24 PM

Head Quarters does not focus their builds on peak power. They produce higher average torque and horsepower numbers than any other builder in that price range, out their. When I say higher average, I mean, straight torque lines, not those torque curves that everyone loves to look at.
Their builds are proven on the dyno and most importantly on the street. I would put that 107 up against almost any 120" motor on the street.
Having said all that, I have a weird engine recipe that works very well. Someday, I will be calling HQ for a 107.

albatross 03-11-2010 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by PhilM (Post 5499624)
A lot of the crank issues we read about have to do with how aggressive one rides. Things like wheelies (dunno who would do that), burnouts, excessive engine braking & dyno pulls are things that contribute to scissoring cranks.

I am only aware of two HQ builds that I've done experiencing crank issues and both were VERY aggressively riden. They were both 95ST's. One was an 05 and the other an 06 ~ which is odd since the general concensus is that 07 is when the stock cranks started getting weaker. Again... these two were ridden HARD for between 1 & 2 years each before the issue occurred. One is now an HQ103 & the other an HQ113.

Thanks Phil; always enjoy reading your posts-very informative for those of us still in the learning mode.

masterblaster 03-12-2010 02:46 AM

You aint gonna like the 107, trust me. Go with the 120 now and skip the 113. Just take care of OL in every way possible and no prob on the 120, if you are up to it hehe.

Originally Posted by reds_racing (Post 6383928)
Thanks Dalton, I have absolutely zero doubt that I went with the right kit and right guy to do it. Now its just a hurry up and wait for the parts to get back. Oh, and figuring out a way to pay Phil without my ol' lady finding out!!!! :icon_eek:

roadharley2 03-12-2010 07:39 AM

Waiting on parts

Two weeks and counting :icon_cry:

mariner227 03-12-2010 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dalton (Post 6383845)
Hey Red,

You are gonna love the HQ107ST. I just finished building one for mariner227. He swung by the house, picked up the bike and headed for Florida. Called me a few days later and it was evident that he was a happy camper, and it had yet to be tuned.

Phil does good work, he and the build will not dissapoint.

Guy Dalton did a great job on my build! I dropped it off at HDMD Tuning Center yesterday. I'll be leaving in a few minutes to pick it up. Doc reports a 23 hp increase after his tune. Guy loaded a map that was close enough but was unable to ride and tweak it due to snowy road conditions in Ohio. I was able to do the break in and put 300 miles on it before dropping it off at Doc's. The bike was awesome.

I'll do a detailed post after I get the dyno print out. If the rain clears out of Florida today you may not hear from me for a while as I will be RIDING!!

CDN. RG 03-12-2010 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by mariner227 (Post 6385997)
Guy Dalton did a great job on my build! I dropped it off at HDMD Tuning Center yesterday. I'll be leaving in a few minutes to pick it up. Doc reports a 23 hp increase after his tune. Guy loaded a map that was close enough but was unable to ride and tweak it due to snowy road conditions in Ohio. I was able to do the break in and put 300 miles on it before dropping it off at Doc's. The bike was awesome.

I'll do a detailed post after I get the dyno print out. If the rain clears out of Florida today you may not hear from me for a while as I will be RIDING!!

Yes please do post your results as I would be interested to see how those jackpot dyno tuned mufflers do on a hq build.I am running them on my hq113 this year