Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frederick Harley says any non Harley oil will void my warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:14 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

not enough difference in additives in 15W50 and the 20W50 Mobil 1 oils to justify the extra cost. i had 68K miles on my 01 when i traded for my 09. i started using the 15W50 in my 01 at 500 miles after new. when i added gear drive at 54K all removed parts were like new and my chain tensioners lasted that long.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:37 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

It is completely illegal and the Magnusson-Moss Act addresses this kind of abuse very clearly. Since you're not going to sue them for this, find another dealer or even better, find a good independent mechanic like mine. He's as competent if not more, he's as professional if not more, he's as meticulous if not more and last but not least, he's cheaper and doesn't have an attitude.
As long as you keep a log of the services performed on your bike, regardless who provided the service, your warranty can't be voided.
By the way, most HD dealers service depts could care less if you're pleased with their service anyway. Most of their revenue comes from selling bikes, new and used, from accessories and apparel.
Finally, let me tell you one thing: if you expect your bike to be serviced as planned when they have several sold bikes to deliver, you better be patient cause they will put yours at the end of the queue. An indy mechanic has no other source of revenue therefore he'll do what it takes to keep you satisfied.
Can you tell I'm not too keen with dealers? <g>
By the way, I have the same position for my cars.
The only people who touch my vehicles are independent mechanics and the only time a dealer touches them is for repairs under warranty, nothing else.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Absolute total BS! Tell them to show it to you in writing!

Old 08-27-2009, 02:57 PM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ANOTHER reason do avoid the dealers at all costs unless it's a warranty issue. I wish I knew of a good indy here in the Tulsa/Broken Arrow vicinity.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:59 PM
SSJ
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Run as fast and hard as you can! Ask them why a lot of Harley dealers sell Amsoil and Blue Ray along side their Harley oils?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:02 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

The service manager at my Harley Dealer recommends AMSOIL products. The dealership doesn't sell AMSOIL but they install it when I supply it.

Contrary to many published opinions, there are many good dealers in the Harley network.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go back and ask your dealer if it's ok to use Citgo oil purchased from Chavez / Venezuela. Oh wait, HD oil IS Citgo Oil. Nevermind.

I'm sure that the Venezuealean HD / Citgo it's much better for your bike than Amsoil or Mobile 1.

Remember, your dealer and the MOCO only want whats best for you.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

With any oil, other than HD's *special Citgo mixture*, your bearings may "skate". Plus $6-$10 Mobil 1 isn't nearly as good as $2.50 Chavez Citgo oil that HD re-labels then sells for $10.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:26 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by old skool1983
not only screw them butttttttt if they bring it up, try to have them prove its not HD oil in there bet they can't
Funny you should mention that. I just got a really sweet deal on an '09 Road Glide and during my orientation with the salesman, he told me I needed to use Harley oil if I didn't want to void my warranty...and then he added, Harley can tell what oil was in an engine based on the chemical makeup. This guy was great to deal with other than this stupid statement, and I figured he was just giving me the dealer's required line of bull, so I just ignored him.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Rnemhrd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Report there illegal activities. With the states hurting for $$ they may want to look in to it and issue some fines it they can. They tried to screw you screw them back.

Quick Reply: Frederick Harley says any non Harley oil will void my warranty