Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frederick Harley says any non Harley oil will void my warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:23 PM
thealien
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Like someone else mentioned ask them to put it in writing and sign it. After they give it to you give them a copy of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. And tell them you will be sending copies to the attorney general and the better business bureau!!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:53 PM
dogpig66
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my first service done at the dealer. After that I followed people's advice on this forum and bought the service manual. Since then, I take care of the fluid changes and basic maintenance myself.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:01 PM
fonemann
Road Captain
Default Fredneck Harley

I've been around Fredneck harley( not buying Anything) except getting a drink of water, my friend took his springer softail there, because it was close for a tune-up on his springer front end, Those Monkeys made it rattle WORSE than it did before he took it there,(and they "service advisor" ) was so Fokin stupid
he didn't even know what service was performed on the bike. Well he argued with them for 10 min or so,(my friend) AND then he showed them the black sharpie marks that he put on the springs( to see if they actually did anything) and Lordy be! the markes were still there. He didn't have to pay (two days in the shop, by the way) the "service advisor also said, you will not find a finer service dept anywhere,(laughter started) I told him he didn't know his azz from a hole in the ground and told him to bring it, he went back in side, I wouldn't Pizz on the place if it was on fire. WARNING: STAY THE FOCK AWAY FROM THERE
(just my experience)

Old 08-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell the dealer to kiss your a$$ and that they just lost a customer.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:30 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find another dealership.

I would not visit them again, except perhaps to use the can....

Old 08-28-2009, 08:31 AM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

I just took my bike for its 1k service at Frederick HD (Frederick, CO). They STOCK several non-harley oils. All of the points have been hit in this thread for sure.

Like all of my previous bikes that are under 10k miles, I put Redline in tranny and primary and dino in the motor. I move to Redline in the motor after it has run 5k-10k miles.

The tech said "Good idea, that's exactly what we all do here at the shop in our bikes."

Tell that dealer gooooodBYE!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Plasteredcat
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a new dealer WTF over

Old 08-28-2009, 08:50 AM
doorsidedown
Road Captain

Go to M&S Harley Davidson in Chambersburg, PA - get rid of using HD of Frederick and HD of Williamsport...

Old 08-28-2009, 09:14 AM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mwisch
I dropped my bike off yesterday at Harley-Davidson of Frederick for the 1000 mile service (apparently my first mistake). Prior to this I had read up on popular oil choices on the forum, looked at the Mobil 1 website and the independent oil survey that was linked in some of the threads. So I stopped at Wal-Mart and picked up 5 quarts of the Mobil 1 15W-50 for $23.

I went to drop the bike off at the dealer, told them I brought my own oil for the crank case only, and immediately the service writer comes back with, uhhhp, can't use it, it'll void your warranty. I asked how so, and he said that if you use anything besides Harley branded oil anywhere in the bike it will void your warranty.

Long story short, we went back and forth for a while, I talked to him, the head service tech and a few other people hanging around the service area, and no one could point out specifically where it says this (I didn't have my manual with me and apparantly it's not something you can find quickly at a dealership ), but all swore up and down that it would void my warranty. They said they would gladly pour it in, but they would put a note in the system saying "warranty voided because customer insisted on using Mobil 1 15W-50". I asked why I had to use Harley brand oils, and was given a range of non specific answers ranging from "because it's for air cooled engines" to basically "because Harley said so". Meanwhile another customer dropping his bike off commented under his breath, "can't believe you're going to pitch a fit over $5 extra a qt". I'm sorry that I'm not so eager to bend over and take it up the @$$ just to have 'Harley' stamped on everything that touches my bike, especially when the superiority of their products (oil in this case) hasn't been proven over other brands and formulations. The popularity of AMSOIL on this forum alone as a strong indicator that it is not. I checked my manual when I got home, and the wording is very vague. The table of oil weights is titled "Recommended Oil", but the following paragraph states that oils with a certain diesel ratings can be used when Harley oil is not available, but you should switch back to Harley brand oil ASAP. There is also a note about not mixing brands of oil (why mention it if it's not allowed? Why say Recommended if it's really Required?). In the warranty section of the manual it states that the warranty is voided if the bike is not operated and maintained according to the user manuals guidlines.

Sorry for the rant, just wondering if anyone else has run into this and wondering if it is even legal to mandate a specific brand of oil, not a specification.
I wonder if the warranty is void if you do not use Harley gasoline?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer told me I have to use Harley gasoline too or I will void my warranty

Quick Reply: Frederick Harley says any non Harley oil will void my warranty