Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marbles in coffee can

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:33 AM
drjggood1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marbles in coffee can

Brilliant me decides to ride from McKinney to Oklahoma city this past weekend. Learned about Frogg Toggs the hard way. Drenched the entire way home. Bike ran perfectly there and back. Pull in the driveway, park to open garage door and bike sounded like it had marbles in a coffee can while at idle. I am running syn 3 in all 3 since 1k service and bike just hit 3k. Never have heard this before. I know some think syn 3 is trash and I will be changing to amsoil soon. What causes the marbles in the can sound?

Thanks for the input. Dunlop 407's were all good thru the monsoon as well.

Last edited by drjggood1; 09-15-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Pezz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure, but that sounds like an "expensive" sound. Happened to my buddies RK at the beggining of the season. Dies at a light, finally got started and it made nasty noises from the bottom end like that. Crank bushing went south, took out the oil pump, basicly ruined the bottom end of the motor. Now it's punched out to 103"

Hope that's not what's wrong with your sled.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:40 AM
drjggood1
Cruiser

Recent mods to bike were adding Vance and Hines Basic Slip-ons, all else stock. Bike seemed to run the same as with the stock pipes on week leading up to trip. Not sure if this is relevant or not?

Old 09-15-2009, 10:46 AM
JnT4Life
Tourer

Cam chain tensioners? Not sure of the setup on an 09 model tho.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:49 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Just a guess that your driveway is uphill and you unintentionally lugged the hot engine pulling into the garage. If it's pinging due to a lean condition you probably would have noticed it pulling hills on your trip. Monitor it but don't lose any sleep unless it continues.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:00 AM
drjggood1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by stro1965
Just a guess that your driveway is uphill and you unintentionally lugged the hot engine pulling into the garage.
This sounds reasonable. Bike seemed to run fine the entire time. Never noticed this sound when filling up for gas and other stops. Hoping sound is not there when I fire it up again. I had hesitated just doing slip-ons alone causing the bike to run even more lean, but the majority on the board seemed to think that bike should be fine w/out doing AC and download. Had tiny bit of decel pop sporadically but nothing else out of the ordinary. Thanks for all the input. Jeff

Old 09-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Sketz
Cruiser

You may have just gotten a bad tank of gas at your last stop - happened to me on one trip, after a few miles after a fill the bike started running rough, kept stalling and wouldn't idle right. Since I was in the middle of nowhere I had no choice so I just ran it hard to the next gas stop, filled it again with a good brand name premium and it ran fine after that.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:21 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

sounds like it was knocking a bit because the revs were too low to pull the bike up the incline. nothing to worry about. sorta like climbing a steep grade in too tall of a gear, they can hammer, and to avoid that, you just gear it down a gear or two. don't expect it to pull itself into your garage if there is a steep incline going into it at idle. get her revving a little and feather the clutch, should be fine. don't forget to remove that coffee can that has a dozen marbles in it from your left saddlebag. laffin here. ride safe

Old 09-15-2009, 02:10 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know how many miles you've got on it, but I'd pull the cam cover and check the cam tensioners. You do NOT want them to come complete apart. It's worth checking.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:42 PM
drjggood1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by emwolb
sounds like it was knocking a bit because the revs were too low to pull the bike up the incline. nothing to worry about. should be fine. don't forget to remove that coffee can that has a dozen marbles in it from your left saddlebag. laffin here. ride safe
Damn, I knew I forgot something, . Just to clarify. The bike made the sound at idle while it sat it the driveway prior to pulling into garage. Not while I was actually moving. I just heard it after I got off. Stood there for a minute cuz I thought my ears were playing tricks on me. Bike had never rattled like that before. I am gonna fire it up tonight and see if the sound is still there. Hopefully a 1x thing. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Marbles in coffee can