Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Braided Clutch Cable

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Rick06
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Braided Clutch Cable

Has anyone had a problem with braided clutch cables wearing through the clear sheathing on the outside of the cable where it runs through the clamp on the front forks? It starts with small nicks which eventually start binding where it slides through the clamp.
The cable is HD Diamond series, a friend also has the same problem with his Barnett cable.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:13 AM
04 rkcrr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer replaced my braided clutch cable a couple years ago, I had the same problem. They both have a clear tube that is supposed to ride in the clamp but every time your forks move the tube works down the cable. The newer cable is starting get gorned up now. Going to try to get them to come off of another one. Braided cables are not cheap.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:23 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a friends rub the wiring enough to short out the whole wiring harness. HD only charged $600 to fix.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:33 AM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm not sure how well this will work, but you might try lubricating it with some dry graphite. I say dry graphite because a wet lubricant will collect dust and dirt and possibly make it worse.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine did the same thing so I re-located the cable so it doesn't rub anymore. I'm at work right now, but if you like I can post some pics later today of how I routed it. You can kind of see how it's routed in my sig pic.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Will CF
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Road Ranger
Mine did the same thing so I re-located the cable so it doesn't rub anymore. I'm at work right now, but if you like I can post some pics later today of how I routed it. You can kind of see how it's routed in my sig pic.
If you could post those Pics I would Appreciate it !! I am planning on getting braided cables and would like to route them the best way from the get go... TIA

Old 09-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Rick06
Tourer

Road Ranger - pics would be great, can't get enough resolution from your sig pic to tell.

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Iamopie2
Cruiser

I had my clutch line routed what i thought was the right way and it started rubbing off after only a few hundred miles. I finally went to a dealer and looked at another bike and saw that the 'P' clamp that attatches to the fork was facing the wrong way. Made all the difference in the world. It is still rubbed from before but it hasn't gotten worse

Old 09-16-2009, 01:51 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue with mine after I swapped bars, I took it back to the dealer, they said the cable was too long, they ordered another one that was a few inches shorter and it hasn't got a single sign of wear.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,870 Likes on 6,927 Posts

Yes but mine started to wear where it made contact with the frame under the engine. I had an oil leak I could not find and the dealer discovered that it had wore through and tranny oil was going back down the inside of the cable and leaking out where it was worn. Had to replace the cable and we but a piece of rubber over it and tied it up much better.

Quick Reply: Road King Braided Clutch Cable