Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on new Touring Frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Trex
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I own a 03 SuperGlide but rented a 09 StreeGlide in Seattle and rode all over Vancouver Island.I loved that bike,I never felt any wobbles or odd movements and it held a line really well when leaned way over. I ran over a rock while leaned in a turn and did not cause any scary issues.Also had it up to 115 on a straight where there was no other traffic and it felt very calm.Definately would recomend it.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:07 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

In 8 months and I have ridden more than 12000 miles and this is my thoughts.

The bike is has stable as a train on rails. Bike corners very well and I have no ground clearance issues even when riding with my pal on an import.

I recently rode a loaner bike which was an 07 Touring model and low mileage and I noticed the difference right away from my 09(I went to a twisty right away with the loaner). To me it felt like the rear and front were at some kind of disconnect. It felt very soft and vague compared to sure footness of my RK.

Today I went on a ride with a friend and his buddy that was riding his spare bike both were on Liter+ imports. We choose a good road, Waimea Canyon, here handling is paramount to HP and I do not have a problem riding with the imports. Granted these guys are older in their late 60's early 70's, and don't ride like fools, but we ride hard. My point is if you respect that it's a 900lb bike it really handles well.

No wobbles, tank slappers, nothing, this is my first Harley and besides renting a few over the years I don't have much prior experince with Harley's. I have been riding for 32+ years and ride fairly hard and this bike allows me to do that and carry gear at the same time. The best thing though, it's a great bike to take it easy on too.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:00 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Have 11K miles on my clock and loving every minute my Ultra had to offer. Rides very smooth especially the new rear wide 180 tire and the holding capacity of the tour pak and saddlebags. Handles real well in slow turns and carving the roads at moderate speed. Absolutely got nothing bad to say about my bike as it's all good in every department.

Good Luck with your decision,

Thorey

Old 09-23-2009, 06:58 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I am sure you have the idea by now...when I bought mine, it was last March and I had a choice between getting a pretty good deal on a new 08 ultra they had left or an 09. I rode both and bought the 09.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:22 AM
hdcrazy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always been a Touring bike rider and have had a number of pre-'09
FL bikes. Once you take a ride on the '09 and later Touring FL's there is no going back, they handle fantastic. You do give up a little in the "plush-ride" dept for a more taught, firmer feel which pays off in the handling dept.....just my opinion. Good Luck w/ your decision.
Gs

Old 09-23-2009, 10:26 AM
gsimerma@amfam.com
Advanced

Looks like I'm gettin a new bike!!! Sounds like Harley hit a home run here. Everything I read agreed with what you all had to say but then right next to the article was a HD advertisemsnt so I took the info with a grain of salt. The only question now is which one??? Wife is lookin at a black & red limited - she's a good girl. New intake, exhaust, stage one and I'll be goot to go.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish they would make a frame of aluminum with along the line of what the crotch rockets have, but retain the same seating position, height, and rake-trail that the 09 Harley frame has. Lighten up the touring line a bit. Maybe as much as 150 pounds?

Old 09-23-2009, 11:36 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

Went from a 05 RKC to a 2010 Ultra and love the bike.It is a little stiff in the suspension but it handles great.And I would suggest getting ABS also,best option Harley ever offered.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:02 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cactus789
Love that story, gotto love how bikers go with the flow!!
Sport bike and a Bagger enjoying the curves...only bike owners would get it!!
a big plus 1

mavrick

Old 09-23-2009, 02:46 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Ok since U asked, I've been riding for 46 yrs so I am not a wet behind the ears rider.

I just rode a new 10 RKC in the harley demo days this past Saturday, My 1st ride on a touring bike.
I know a 20 mile ride is not much, so I did what I could to test her..
I am not writing this to start anything, just saying what I observed and felt..
Having a Heritage I knew she would sit higher. Not only higher it felt like I was above the bike.
Seat not as big and stiffer, only 700 miles on the King so its not broke in.
One stretch of rough back roads I couldn't tell much if any difference in smoothness. Maybe I was expecting a lot better ride.
I could tell a difference in maneuverability, the RK is slower reacting to avoid the holes and bumps.
Once on the interstate at 70mph I though is where she would be a lot better. Wasn't the case, I was getting a blown around feeling, she just didn't track solid and straight.
As soon as we returned to the the dealer I got on my bike and took the same trip as we did on the demo ride. Mine tracked solid and straight on the same interstate 1/2 hr later..
IMO I like the Heritage more overall when I add all the things together..
If I ever trade bikes I though I would look at a RK king real hard. But now I am not sure I'd switch.. I would have to do more than a short ride..

Last edited by oct1949; 09-23-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinions on new Touring Frame