Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Harley Boom Audio Headset

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:58 PM
onionfmr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Harley Boom Audio Headset

Anybody tried one of these new 1/2 helmet headsets with the mic.? How is it for comfort, sound quality and wind noise with mic.?

Old 09-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,386 Likes on 3,300 Posts

You can buy it cheaper from Sierra Electronics ...it's made by IMC... i use one with my J&M CB and it's OK at best.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:42 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have one, but I didn't buy it from Harley...got it quite a bit cheaper from IMC. I don't use the CB all that much....once in a blue moon for the rare group ride I might go on. Works fine for that...probably are better choices for those who have their CB on and using it every time they are on the bike.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:38 PM
iMC Motorcom
Former Sponsor
Default iMC Headsets

The Boom Audio headsets are indeed made by IMC Motorcom, they are available from any of our dealers you can see from the pictures that it is the same headset as Boom but silver and not Black.

It tends to work better with the Harley stereo since it has a large high quality amplifier.

http://imcmoto.com/products/harley-headsets/7-pin-half-helmet-helmetless-headset-4.html

Old 10-07-2009, 03:46 PM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master

IMC. Can you heat the plastic head piece to make them fit your ears better? Mine are twisted and uncomfortable.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:18 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jkoch09ultra
IMC. Can you heat the plastic head piece to make them fit your ears better? Mine are twisted and uncomfortable.
The Big Brown Truck delivered the IMC version yesterday. I am taking a 250 or so mile run today to meet forum member mainshaft, and will form a first opinion from this ride. I played with the headset some last night in the garage and so far the audio sounds great.

As to the question above, I first put them on with the cord on the left side and the band in the back, they fit like a glove with a bowling ball it. Flipped them over with the cord on the right and they seem to fit nicely. I kind of tucked the head band up under the helmet some and strapped it down as normal and they stayed in place much better. Edit: I just went to the IMC website http://imcmoto.com/products/harley-h...headset-4.html and don't remember seeing the the picture of the guy with the headset on when I was placing the order. He is shown wearing the headset with the cord on the left side and appears to have the strap on the top of his head. Will give this a try and see which is more comfortable.

I have a question: Do you folks ride with the cord tucked in your jacket or just let it hang and flap in the breeze? Guess I will figure it out later today...

Last edited by Olde Skool; 10-08-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Jukebox
Road Master

This past summer while on my road trip,I stopped in a dealer in TN and they had a half helmet on display with speaker pockets at the top of the chin strap and a mic boom connected to the side of the helmet. It looked decent to me and the sales lady told me this was the latest in H-D headsets for 1/2 helmets. Has anyone used this. I actually have the Scala Rider headsets for me and the wife. We even use it bike to bike as long as she stays around 30' behind me.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:25 AM
pastorralph
Road Captain

Dunno. Ordered one with my 15% discount, but they're back-ordered because they're a new part (they said). I'll let you know when I get it.
By the way, nice bike.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:38 AM
thebigapp
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half Helmet Boom headset

I got a couple of these over this past weekend. Just had the CB added to my system and am not real sure how it is suppose to sound. The speaker quality was very good, but when trying to communicate with a friend on another bike, there was quite a bit of white noise.

I also bought one of the Boom systems for my three quarter helmet, and it works perfectly as long as I am close enough to the other bike. I did notice that the system that I bought for the three quarter helmet came with a CD that said it was a required upgrade for my 09 streetglide. Not sure what to do with it.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:45 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the IMC version that i got from Sierra, cord on the left, and usually put the cable down my vest so it doesn't pull on the headset. They are comfortable enough at first, but i do get some discomfort after a few hours as the plastic will tend to dig into my head above my ear.

Quick Reply: New Harley Boom Audio Headset