Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Braking & Downshifting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gmurdock,
I have an 07 FLHTCU without ABS and I tried a few times this morning on the way to work to reproduce what you are describing and could not. I was able to downshift to any gear every time, and the shifts were solid and were clear that a full shift was made. I would hope ABS wouldn't have an affect on the ability to downshift, and if it did I would have been posted before now. Off to the dealer would be the next thing to do.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone else pointed out, the tranny and brakes are totally independant systems. One does not know what the other is doing. The only link between them is the rider. All that's happening here is he's getting sloppy with the down shifts because he's concentrating on braking but it's not a fault or defect in the bike itself. ABS has "nothing" to do with this. IF the rider is braking hard and downshifts far enough and releases the clutch, it's possible the added engine braking could cause the rear wheel to momentarily skid. In that even the ABS would do what it's supposed to do but that's normal.

It's preferable to downshift while braking. It's just proper form, but if you're braking hard, don't release the clutch until you're ready to accelerate as the sudden addition of engine braking can destabilize things.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:19 AM
mech8251
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at it this way- If you get nothing from the course you take because you think you are so experienced in riding then you're wrong. With any course I have taken I have received a 10% discount on my insurance. That alone these days makes it worth while taking a course whether it be basic or advanced. I prefer the advanced myself.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:47 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Something does not sound correct, I can down shift and brake as the same time.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by mech8251
Look at it this way- If you get nothing from the course you take because you think you are so experienced in riding then you're wrong. With any course I have taken I have received a 10% discount on my insurance. That alone these days makes it worth while taking a course whether it be basic or advanced. I prefer the advanced myself.
And if you are a HOG member you will get $50 credit back and a patch .

Old 09-28-2009, 10:15 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

I think Intrepid said it right I think you are not letting the shift lever come up in between gears you can't just hold it down and expect it to keep shifting down.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:51 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by teamstersteward
when I down shift to assist in stopping I use left hand to bip the throttle my right hand and right foot(drop a gear) left foot works the rear brake so I do not get the question ?
Am I missing something here?
If you use your left hand to work the throttle, right hand for the clutch, right foot for the gears, and left foot for the rear brake, then either you or your bike is built backwards. I'd say you are missing something alright...

Old 09-28-2009, 11:20 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member

No ABS on my Hog.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:13 PM
gmurdock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I have takein the advance course once a few years ago. Learned a few things. Most likely will take it again just because it is good thing to do & with a different bike. In both the new & advanced courses they say by the time you come to a stop you should be in first gear.
Now when I first tried to downshift while braking with the rear & front brake hard going about 55-60 mph. A car pulled out in front of me so had no choice but to slow down fast. After this happened I tried just using the rear brake to slow down & I could not shift from 4th to 3rd or lower? I took my foot off the shift leaver to relieve the pressure & it still would not downshift. As soon as I let up off the rear brake it would downshift? I was just trying to find out if this was just my bike or others before I took it in. Sometimes the service guys say that is common on those bikes. As far as the ABS I was just trying to give as much info as I could about the bike.
Like when I complained about my tranny clunking when in netural & shifting into first. Mine clunks & I am told that is common with the cruisers. My brothers Super Glide shifts smooth all the time? Why can they make a cheaper bike shift correctly & not the more expensive ones?

Old 09-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by matrix5
If you use your left hand to work the throttle, right hand for the clutch, right foot for the gears, and left foot for the rear brake, then either you or your bike is built backwards. I'd say you are missing something alright...
Man I'm glad you noticed that...I thought I might be going crazy when I read that post! Remember...Puff Puff Pass

Quick Reply: Rear Braking & Downshifting?