Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody use pledge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 10:26 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by trning
I was wondering if anybody uses pledge on their windshield. If not what is good to use?
==============

WHY use furniture polish when there are more durable (non abrasive!) automotive waxes avail that can do a better job?

I have been using automotive wax for yrs on my windscreens with great success in reducing damage from lrg hardshell bugs etc.

But if you have nothing other then Pledge avail i would think thats better then using nothing to help protect the windscreen.

Scott

Old 04-09-2017, 03:09 AM
sixgun95
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Plexus! Nothing else

Old 04-09-2017, 05:48 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,615 Likes on 5,177 Posts

It works but there are better products Like Bug slide. Also they have change Pledge it is not the same product we used in the past.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:07 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,431 Likes on 21,387 Posts
Old 04-09-2017, 07:54 AM
motorcyclemal
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wscott
==============

WHY use furniture polish when there are more durable (non abrasive!) automotive waxes avail that can do a better job?

I have been using automotive wax for yrs on my windscreens with great success in reducing damage from lrg hardshell bugs etc.

But if you have nothing other then Pledge avail i would think thats better then using nothing to help protect the windscreen.

Scott
Scott, it gets worse, the stuff i use isn't even pledge lol - the only thing i can get thats even close to that is own brand stuff from the local food store
(the halkiadakas) i live in greece by the way. Be fair though, it works a treat though.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:20 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

Bugslide with microfiber cloth to clean...a quality automotive wax to protect.

Assuming you don't have any swirls or scratches on your windshield, make sure you apply WAX to protect it, and not a cleaner or polish. They are distinctly different products. Cleaners and polishes contain abrasives and/or chemicals that actually remove a microscopic layer from the surface, including scratches and swirls, of course. Anyway, clean your windshield with a non-abrasive product and wax it with pure, plain ol' wax. I prefer Collinite 845. (Standard disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Collinite nor Autogeek dot net. I simply like the product and Autogeek describes it well.)

Instead of Bugslide, an alternate method of cleaning bugs from the windshield is to soak a microfiber towel with hot water and gently press it on the windshield and let it sit for a few minutes. Don't rub it, just press it down so it contacts the entire surface under the towel. After soaking it, use a another clean microfiber also soaked in hot water to gently wipe away the bugs. If a bug splat won't come off right away, don't rub on it. Soak it again with another towel and hot water. It'll eventually come loose without wailing on it with a bunch of rubbing and abrasion.

Ideally you want to clean the windshield with the absolute minimum amount of rubbing cuz no matter how soft the cloth...no matter what product you use...it's gonna create a few scratches or swirls. More rubbing = more scratches. Unless you work for NASA and have access to a "clean room," there will be dust and grit that grinds microscopic scratches into the surface.

Just my 2 cents...YMMV.

Last edited by Frank the Real Biker; 04-09-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:36 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
It works but there are better products Like Bug slide. Also they have change Pledge it is not the same product we used in the past.
What Top said is sure enough correct. Up until about 5 years ago I used Pledge on cars and motorcycles. Back then it evaporated pretty quickly and applied nicely. Then, for whatever reason the contents were changed. Suddenly Pledge did not evaporate nearly as quickly and if the weather outside was remotely cool it took forever to evaporate. When you sprayed it on your paint it just moved around on the rag and was a slimy mess. I don't know it the new formula contains more silicone or mineral oil but it definitely does not work as good as the old stuff. I called up the J&J hotline and complained. The lady asked me what I was using Pledge on and I said a motorcycle. She said "Sir, we do not recommend that you use Pledge on your motorcycle".

She did say that the propellant they used in the can had been changed so maybe that had something to do with the new formulation.

So, like most "things", they are subject to change over time. My war department constantly reminds me "That was then and this is now".

Old 04-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 251 Likes on 158 Posts

This is almost as lively as an oil debate.....I use a diluted solution of simple green to dissolve bugs, just spray on a let set for a minute and they rinse off. For a quick detail, I use Barrett Jackson quick detailer for the paint, works great.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:04 PM
PanheadJoe
Advanced
Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
However, I've had the best results with Plexus. It's made for motorcycle windshields and won't leave any residue at all.
Plus 1 on the Plexus. It was actually originally developed for aircraft windshields, many of which are made of the same stuff as our cycle windshields. Plexus is great stuff. Highly recommended!

Old 04-30-2017, 04:19 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmyflhtcui
I use Harley glaze. It makes the water bead off and the bugs come off easier when you use it on a regular basis....

Good luck!
Sounds like rain x to me

Quick Reply: Anybody use pledge?