Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Ultra Gauge Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:08 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by texanmojo.com
Looks great. What di you have to do to recalibrate the mileage? Did you have to do anything at all?
your dealer can send out and have your original mileage on the new speedo if you buy new. they might send the speedo to harley if they don't have the in house tools to set it.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:09 PM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Four hours you must have taken 6 pack break lol I did a faring swap complete in 3.30hrs
Guages shouldnt take more than a hour or so if there plug and play..

Old 10-05-2009, 02:12 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 07JakeelwoodHD
Four hours you must have taken 6 pack break lol I did a faring swap complete in 3.30hrs
Guages shouldnt take more than a hour or so if there plug and play..
the kids only 4 years old

Old 10-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior

No way I'm pay'n my dealer full boat for the new gauges. I can get them from Chicago Harley for a lot less than MSRP. It's still a mystery to me as to how they assure that the miles on the bike are accurate on the new gauge. I mean, do I just install the gauges and then go to the dealer and have them put the miles on the OD?

Old 10-05-2009, 07:21 PM
clutchglass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you do the swap...are you gonna lose the air temp gauge and install an oil temp in it's place? If so, I recommend you install the sensor directly into the oil pan...and not to the filter as called out in the instructions. There is an article about it posted on here somewhere. Tegsand showed it to me before we hooked my gauge up, and I chose to follow the instructions instead...a week later I moved the sending unit to the oil pan, and it works a lot better.
-clutch-

Old 10-05-2009, 07:35 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Clint55
No way I'm pay'n my dealer full boat for the new gauges. I can get them from Chicago Harley for a lot less than MSRP. It's still a mystery to me as to how they assure that the miles on the bike are accurate on the new gauge. I mean, do I just install the gauges and then go to the dealer and have them put the miles on the OD?
most dealers send the gauge out to milwaukee to have the miles put in. either way they will do it before you install them, call chicago hd and or your local dealer

Old 10-05-2009, 07:36 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member

most dealers send the gauge out to milwaukee to have the miles put in. either way they will do it before you install them, call chicago hd and or your local dealer, probably your local dealer will look at your ol odometer on the bike to verify ya our telling the truth.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:27 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clint, the dealer reads your odometer then puts the info on a form that is signed by one of the employees (normally the parts person), sends that off and the mileage is magically put on the odometer and when you get it back, voila...your gauges with 'your' mileage!

You might see if Chicago HD would accept the local State Patrol office doing a VIN / Mileage verification form and faxing from their office...

Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by KoalaCowboy
Clint, the dealer reads your odometer then puts the info on a form that is signed by one of the employees (normally the parts person), sends that off and the mileage is magically put on the odometer and when you get it back, voila...your gauges with 'your' mileage!

You might see if Chicago HD would accept the local State Patrol office doing a VIN / Mileage verification form and faxing from their office...
That makes sense. And I think it's appropriate for you to give me advice see'n as this whole gauge change idea is all your fault.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:39 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That makes sense. And I think it's appropriate for you to give me advice see'n as this whole gauge change idea is all your fault.
LMAO

I'll take credit for doing the whole dash / gauge thing...but that is merely being a 'catalyst' for all of my Forum brothers & sisters!

Quick Reply: 09 Ultra Gauge Swap