Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need more legroom on Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 12:07 AM
kevdog
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need more legroom on Ultra Classic

I'm buying a 2001 Ultra Classic and know right away that I will need more legroom. I plan on installing a longer rear brake pedal to start. Anyone have advice on the best way to do this? I'm 6 feet tall. I saw on HD's site Extended Reach Rider Footboard Kit that will move the floorboards 2" further, item # 50409-04. Would I need a longer shifter arm if I install these?

Also, any good seat recommendations for more legroom?

Old 06-27-2006, 12:16 AM
Lpye
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need more legroom on Ultra Classic

I'm 6'1" and have no problem with the stock leg room. I use a Road Zeppellin Seat and the short extensions on the highway bars for the road pegs. Been riding EG's for over 10 years.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:23 AM
ronstew
Intermediate

While I have never ridden a Harley, I can tell you that I expected to have legroom trouble on my scooter, but I don't. Maybe you should ride for a while to see if you really need to spend the money.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:33 AM
Harry Manback
Cruiser

Hey Kev,

I am 6'2" and I felt the same way. The very first mod I did to my new E-glide (man I like typing that) is the HD Extended reach foot boards. Made a whole lot of difference. I did not put the extended reach brake lever on, I may do it later but you do not have to. One great thing about the new boards for me is the heal shifter. On my Fatboy the heel shifter was about two inches lower than the UC, on the new bike it felt like I had to raise my foot a couple feet up to shift. When I lowered the heel shift arm it rested sat right on the stock board, with the new board it fits like a glove. I now only have to raise my foot about an inch to shift.

My next plan for comfort will be a new seat. At first I thought about putting the tallboy seat from HD, but I have heard it actualy raises you up too high. I am now leaning toward the Sundowner. I hear it will move the rider back, and seat you down slightly. This sounds counter intuitive, but I hear it makes for a more comfy ride for the taller rider.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:56 AM
HDHoosier
Tourer

I'm going throught the same thing myself, making mods to get more comfortable. I'm 6' 3" and am having trouble with my hips from being cramped. I have cruise boards on the way but thinking of extending the floorboards as well. I'm taking it a step at a time to keep the cost down, I really hope I don't have to go the new seat route but I feel like I need an inch or two rise. Maybe its just inflexibility on my part but the hips are screaming.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:10 AM
kdietz
Road Captain

Corbin Dual Tour Saddle will move you back about 1"

Old 06-27-2006, 11:43 AM
HDHoosier
Tourer

Doesn't that mean that my wife will have 1" less room? I might be able to put up with the cramped leg room after all.

I guess I could extend the tour pac back also, my luck I'll do all that and then in a year try to sell it to somone that's 5' 6"

Old 06-27-2006, 12:18 PM
kdietz
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: HDHoosier

Doesn't that mean that my wife will have 1" less room? I might be able to put up with the cramped leg room after all.

I guess I could extend the tour pac back also, my luck I'll do all that and then in a year try to sell it to somone that's 5' 6"
The '06 Tour Pack is adjustable +/- 1"....I have mine all the way back....my wife said she has plenty of room

Karl

Old 06-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Xchief
Advanced

You may want to look here..... http://waltersworkshop.com/
They have nice brake and shift extensions

Old 06-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Bigfoot
Tourer