Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many labored through touring bike decisions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:36 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I looked and thought for about a year, until one day my wife called from the dealer and said come and get this bike today. Being the good old soldier I am I obeyed orders at once Plus, she was right on everything about it!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 AM
2K1FLHPI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure if “labored” was the correct description for my effort. Perhaps “carefully deliberated?”

Spending thousands of dollars is not something I take lightly. I do my research, prioritize, and make educated decisions. Flying by the seat of my pants is a great way to ensure buyer’s remorse.

Some people may encourage you to make snap decisions. They have nothing invested in your decision. You do.

Measure twice, cut once.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

I had a Yamaha Stratoliner. Nice bike, but knew I was ready for the upgrade. Went in looking for a Standard. I wanted to add the lightbar in front --- not just a single headlight. Also a backrest, because my grandkids love to ride & I don't want them on the bike without one. Also, decided I'd like to have the stereo. Well, then I was up to the price of a Street Glide. Then, I decided that I wanted cruise, and also decided that I really like the TourPak, so I just went for it & ended up with an 09 EG Classic. Liked the Ultra too, but decided to give myself something to upgrade to in a few years!

Old 10-29-2009, 12:17 PM
mjmangus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your decision has already been made. Get the one that makes her the happiest.
Happy passenger = happy rider.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:20 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 184 Posts

Only one way to be sure Buy both and ride them for a month.
The send them both to me.
I'll contact you in a few years to see which one you miss most.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
salty01
Tourer

Originally Posted by robreeny

i am currently in the mix, mulling over the next purchase. i will be buying a 2009 or 2010 RG or FLHTC. i have ridden both, and love many things about each.

have any of you labored through the decision?
what were the final factors?

i have to add that i will most likely end up on the FLHTC, as that is what made the ole lady happiest. i believe i will be happy with either one.

i am really interested in seeing if i covered all my bases already.

thanks for any constructive responses.

r

Best wa y is to rent them both and see what fits your comfort and momma's. We did some seat swapping on the SG to get it right but I have just ordered another bike, the 2010 Vcitory Cross country, lots of ower, comfort and style between traditional and modifed.

That Road Glide is a big benefit on windy days though I can tell you.

Good luck!

Old 10-29-2009, 12:35 PM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robreeny

i am currently in the mix, mulling over the next purchase. i will be buying a 2009 or 2010 RG or FLHTC. i have ridden both, and love many things about each.

have any of you labored through the decision?
what were the final factors?

i have to add that i will most likely end up on the FLHTC, as that is what made the ole lady happiest. i believe i will be happy with either one.

i am really interested in seeing if i covered all my bases already.

thanks for any constructive responses.

r
No labor at all.....took one look at the 09 Red Hot Sunglow Ultra Classic and bought it on the spot.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:13 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i have only had a HD for a little over 3 years. didn't ride for 20 yrs. went with the 07 ultra, and recently traded (the 07 got rear ended and i didn't want to wait for it to get fixed) for an 09 ultra.

as i mentioned before, i do have access to my daughters 883 sportster. 20+ years ago i had a honda 750 outfitted with jammer and bags and also a yamaha 250 dirt bike.

my had a heritage classic about 7 years that i rode a bit.

probably, my favorite bike is the heritage classic, i just really like the retro way it looks, the way it feels.

but the things that led me to the ultra :
- i knew i wanted to do trips, overnighters or longer.
this meant storage and riding comfort. and more than was available on most the models, unless you start adding on. so the comfort, etc was more of a priority than lets say the fun factor. not that the ultra isn't fun. it is agile and all, but it is a tourer, not a 'sports' bike.

so i checked out the ones with some storage:
- still luv that heritage, okay, put it on the list and lets check out the others.
- the road king. to me i prefer the heritage. kinda seemed that it was hard bags vs soft. for the same money (or even the rk classic for a little more) i prefered the heritage.
- the street glide. i still perfered the heritage. thought with the 2k diff, i could get some extras for the heritage and make it 'mine'. in hindsite, the fairing would have been better than the windshield on long rides. but i didn't think of that at the time.
- the RK. the big thing i didn't like was the double light. i know its dumb, but for me, i just didn't like the look of the double headlight (some have told me that its nice to have in case one goes out). i also had issue with the look of the fairing. it was like too far forward. (i have heard that it is more solid being frame mounted, and that i would believe to be true. i have also heard that the controls in the fairing are a bit of a long reach, so if your arms are shorter, this might be an issue, something worth checking)

so this left the heritage compared to the electra guide and the utlra.

well if touring is what i wanted than its hard not to go with the electra, either model. that is exactly what they were made for.

so i checked them two out, and just thought that i wanted the xtra things that the ultra had.

if long touring was not as much in the picture i would have probably gone with the heritage.

since i have gotten the 07 and now the 09 here are my thoughts
- the 07 was very comfortable, and the 09 is even better, i can ride that for a long time even in adverse conditions, it is incredable
- very comfortable for me, like a perfect fit (57yrs old, 5'10'', 200+ lbs, 30" inseam, i do were boots with some heal height).
- there might be a better bike for the road, but it would really have to be awesome. i have yet to read anything that says this bike isn't comfortable and top notch.
- for a big bike it is still amazingly nible.
- haven't really had a passenger on for any length of time, so i can't comment on that

just don't drop it cause it it heavy to pick up.
-

Old 10-29-2009, 01:27 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Never listen to a Canuck when it comes to makin a decision, it's cold up there they have brain freeze. You all know i'm just bustin chops right ? Sorry I don't make my decisions slowly, go with my gut, what gives most people buyer's remorse is looking back so don't look back, keep moving forward with fury and have fun cause we don't get a do over!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:37 PM
busshawg
Stage III

I'm new to the board but not new to riding. My wife and I had riden 2 up for over 100,000 miles on our fatboy, I figured it was time to upgrade. We bought a 07 RK Custom. We have put about 2000 miles on it. We are really not sure we made the right choice. Might put them both up for sale and which ever one sells so be it, but I will have a hard time seeing the old fat boy go. We're one with the bike when riding the fatboy, I feel like I'm fighting the RK when I ride it especially in curves etc. Not very happy so far. Plus all the corners Harley is cutting with the newer models. eg. 5th gear noise, the heat from the engine, really not a lot of power for a 96 cube.

Grant

Quick Reply: how many labored through touring bike decisions?