Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Di Really need to replace the inner cam bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:42 PM
1HD2NV
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duffey11
Do a poll. Has anyone on this forum PERSONALLY experienced a inner cam bearing failure? The answer is NO. Many will tell you about a friend that had a failure, but non have experienced them selfs. That is a myth that has grown feet and has not stopped running. I read another post that a guy has 80,000 on his 09 Harley and has only completed normal services using non syn oil and has experienced NO mechanical issues. Bike is all stock, no upgrades, just rides the bike and changes his oil. I changed my cam myself and did not change the inner bearing. at this time i have not experienced any problems.
Mine let go at 36,000 miles on my '06 SG! Replaced with Torrington. Building motor on my '10 SG currently and have already replaced the cam bearing. IF you are in there anyway it just does not make since to not replace it.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:19 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No need to replace. The bearings in the older models did have a recall may years ago. There is no need to change the bearing. The OEM bearing are of good quality and will last as long as any other bearing in your engine. If your being told that they are week, then why not replace the crank and rod bearing also? Just my opinion. Good insurance would to be buy the extended warranty.
Any reputable mechanic would use new bearings when changing the cams, anyway. Why not use better quality ones?
And yes, you should change the sprocket side crank bearing. HD replaced the twin tapered Timkens with a big INA to cheapen and speed production, and mechanics immediately began seeing engine destruction caused by the too-weak bearing. Just because it hasn't happened to you or anyone you know, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:27 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That $20 at Georges is for both bearings and not just for one. You won't find the B 168's at a dealer, just there INA's

Old 01-09-2010, 01:29 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Do a poll. Has anyone on this forum PERSONALLY experienced a inner cam bearing failure? The answer is NO. Many will tell you about a friend that had a failure, but non have experienced them selfs. That is a myth that has grown feet and has not stopped running. I read another post that a guy has 80,000 on his 09 Harley and has only completed normal services using non syn oil and has experienced NO mechanical issues. Bike is all stock, no upgrades, just rides the bike and changes his oil. I changed my cam myself and did not change the inner bearing. at this time i have not experienced any problems.
Aren't you doing the same thing you accuse others of?

"I read another post about a guy that has....."

Irony anyone?

Old 01-09-2010, 02:29 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes you should replace the bearings. Check these out and you will see the difference.

Your dealership parts counter will have the right size cam spacer. If you can read the writing on the stock spacer then get one that is .20 thicker. If you can't read the writing then bring the spacer. My stock spacer was .110 not .100, so you see where I am going here.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:50 AM
HD101st
Tourer

I have to agree i myself have never heared of a inner cam bearing failure on any new HD the entire service dept at HD and many others have never seen it my good friend is the mechanic who works at the dealer so he has no reason to lie to me states they have done multiple builds without bearing change with no issues what so ever now there was issues on the early twin cams but they redesigned the bearings in late twin cam models so its all personal preference i will be changing mine but if i didn't i dont think either way would be a issue
and just to throw this out there HD just made SE race bearings that are actually torringtons P#24018-10

Last edited by HD101st; 03-10-2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:44 AM
korky37
Novice

Yes! there cheap and a bearing puller is free form Autozone. While You have all the parts off for the cam change, it just makes sense to replace the cheap stock bearings with a better part.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:51 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,928 Likes on 21,508 Posts

Originally Posted by HD REBEL
I plan on installing SE 255 cams into my 09 street glide with 4k miles. Do I really need to replace the inner cam bearings during the install? The tool cost for a one time use is a little high. Has anyone not replaced them?The miles are low and they are already roller bearings, is it really necessary? If so, does anyone want to rent me thier tools?
I feel that beings how you're in there you might as well, and not only that, but you should probably change out your lifters too.

How do you feel about that?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Do a poll. Has anyone on this forum PERSONALLY experienced a inner cam bearing failure? The answer is NO...
Really? Out of the 160,000 forum members, no one has experienced a inner cam bearing failure?

Originally Posted by clap
...You won't find the B 168's at a dealer, just there INA's
My dealer stocks the Torrington bearings and installs them on every cam change they do.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:22 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I've never heard of an INA inner-bearing failure either, and for every cam job my dealer does they replace them with the INA's in the cam-install kit. For me, if you're going to change them, buy the Fuel Moto cam-install kit and do it with the full-complement type (Torrington-Timkin) included. Or, buy the re-branded SE bearings.

Quick Reply: Di Really need to replace the inner cam bearings?