Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips & tricks Road Glide fairing (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 07:58 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by NHSPMCU
Is it me or is the whole RG community dealing with the same problem with the trim coming unglued! I have an 05 RG that started coming un-glued right after I bought mine and you mean the MOCO still hasn't addressed this problem. Come-on HD!!!
I had my local dealer reglue mine 3 times.What ever they used would turn into runny snot when parked in the hot sun.
After the second time,I asked them to use new trim and they said the warranty would not cover it!
The Loctite Super Glue I used worked great.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:31 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by NHSPMCU
Is it me or is the whole RG community dealing with the same problem with the trim coming unglued! I have an 05 RG that started coming un-glued right after I bought mine and you mean the MOCO still hasn't addressed this problem. Come-on HD!!!:
....... i must be one of the lucky ones as i've had NO issues w/ the fairing trim, even after a 'little' accident @ the dealer which resulted in a new outer being installed.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:28 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for bringing this forward but I'm going to need it this spring.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:31 AM
BCguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, thanks for bringing this back. I've added "fairing maintenance" to my winter To Do list.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:50 AM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't believe this. I had an 06 and now an 09 Road Glide and this is the first one that I have seen do this. I've never heard of the radio digging into the fairing. How common is it?
Gary D.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:43 AM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IDI
Adding some thoughts.

Is it the hooks or the edges of the radio carrier that the fairing are supposed to rest on?
On my bike the fairing rests on the edges. Down at the hooks there's a small gap.
But when my fairing had rubbed down a bit, it rested on the hooks. As it was when I discovered this issue, before the fix.
I believe the hooks only are supposed to be like an "helping hand" when mounting the fairing.
read your more recent post and link to here. the weight of the fairing should be on the hooks. on mine it takes a lot of rearward pressure to get the fairing to grab and rest on the hooks. you may be missing the hooks and then the fairing is settling down onto the radio box and causing your wear problem, or something is out of alignment and not allowing the fairing to rest on the hooks.

Last edited by oley55; 02-05-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:01 AM
g money
Account Retired

I just took the outer fairing off of my 09 Road Glide and holy hell are there deep marks on the inside from the radio mounts!!!! I only have 3000 miles on this thing and I'll bet at around 5000 miles it would've poked right through the fairing. Unbelievable!!!
Gary D.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:48 PM
IDI
Cruiser

I believe this is a design failure from the MOCO. I also believe there's a lot of Road Glides out there with this problem. Most of us, when we remove the fairing, we just remove it and carefully place it on the garage floor. Many times with the windshield still on it. Then we just put it back on.
I don't think we observe the rubbing grooves at the inside, because we are not expect them and then we are not looking for them.

I also understand that there are pretty new bikes out there with this damage. Bikes that have their fairing removed for the first time after delivery from the MOCO.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:48 PM
g money
Account Retired

Originally Posted by 16X9 Shooter
IDI

Have '06 ugly bike..so don't know if '07 is different? Noticed in pictures that there was no plastic trim on the hooks inside your fairing. '06 parts catalog lists this part as part # 11489 TRIM (2).

It is basically a plastic (guess..or hard rubber) trim piece that fits onto hook and may help in your situation...you mentioned that you had some space between the outer fairing and the hooks they fit into.

I did not have them on my bike...ordered them and found the outer fairing fit better without them. So, now they sit in the parts I'll never use pile for the HD.

To the others - Good tips on that trim that goes between the outer and inner fairing...what a piece of ____. Will try some of that loctite stuff. Thanks.

Yeah, it's an ugly bike.
Wow, you're right. In my 09 service manual it has those trim pieces listed also. I don't have them on my bike. Where the fairing rests on these metal hooks, the hooks are digging into the fiberglass. I will order these trim pieces and see if it makes a difference.
Thanks
Gary D.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:52 PM
IDI
Cruiser

If the fairing only will rest on the hooks I believe that the grooves for the hooks are to weak to handle the weight of the fairing. The surface pressure where the hooks meets the small surface of the fairing grooves will be very high.

I think the right thing to do is to be very carefull when mounting the fairing. Mount the fairing with the headlight removed, only then there is a way to see what is going on inside the fairing. Put some rubber or plastig strips over the radio carrier and also be sure there are strips on the hooks. And last, that the fairing rests on both the hooks and the radio carrier. This for even out the weight of the fairing.

I hope you guys understand my English...technical discussions on a foreign language is always difficult.

Quick Reply: Tips & tricks Road Glide fairing (pictures)