Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought 05 flhp - abs / radio / seat / charge questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:50 AM
94ultratour
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought 05 flhp - abs / radio / seat / charge questions

I picked up an 05 flhp at a police auction this weekend. Had to buy a battery and kickstAnd spring but otherthan that it is a runs and drives ok (so far). Has just over 30k on it.

There are a couple of issues. The headlight is not working which I assume has something to do with the wiring that was removed when the pulled the strobes off the bike. The other more serious problems are the abs light on the dash stays lit up and the voltage level gauge indicates 16 volts during cruise. Any thoughts on these two issues?

I am planning to order the biketronics police bike radio Kit and want to upgrade to a double seat so my wife can ride. Can I just bolt on any old RK or Flh seat or will I need to buy brackets/etc?

Old 11-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. Can't help with the ABS light or electrical.

Also, contact Biketronics regarding the police radio kit. I'm not current on Biketronics products, but I recall the kit they offer is for police model Electra Glide; didn't know they offered anything for Road Kings.

Suggestion: Purchase the HD 2005 Touring Models service manual. It has wiring diagrams that you will find very helpful, as well as info on servicing your bike. I'd also suggest buying the 2005 Police Supplement Service Manual primarily because of the wiring diagrams it provides for the police bike, but also for the ABS brake information since the ABS is unique to the police model. At some point, HD started to include the police wiring information in the civilian service manual after the 2004 model year. So check the 2005 civilian service manual to see if the diagrams include police model information. If it does, there is less reason to purchase the police model supplement. If it doesn't, then buy the police supplement if you need to resolve electrical issues or plan to modify the police wiring (e.g. changing to civilian handlebar controls, etc.).

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 11-23-2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Deleted possibly incorrect seat/tank console information
Old 11-23-2009, 12:56 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
As for seats, your police RK has a shorter chrome tank console than a civilian RK in order to accommodate the hinge used on the police air ride seat. Consequently, when you remove the police hinge, and parts associated with the air ride seat, the civilian seat you would use would be one for an Electra Glide; the civilian RK's have a longer chrome tank console and if you used an RK seat you would have a gap between the end of the tank console and the tongue of the RK seat. HD sells a filler piece for the gap that is similar to the piece on the police bike that covers the hinge.

Carl
My FLHPi has the same console as the civilian RK, and i do not require any additional filler pieces to run any RK seat. I guess its possible they may have pulled the cop console off prior to delivery to me, but i doubt it. I am guessing he meant to say he has a Police EG, not a RK given there is a voltage guage on it. In this case, yes it is a shorter console, as all EGs have a shorter console than the RK

Checking to make sure the headlight has power is pretty straight forward, just need a voltmeter.

Last edited by HDRider2002; 11-23-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Bushpilot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-First of all the headlight should not be on the same cuircit as your strobe lights that are removed. You might have to do some wire finding and troubleshooting.
-ABS light is indicating a trouble code and should be diagnosed to fix. you should have full braking capability but may not have ABS while in safe mode.
-This bike has high output stator on it for all the extra lights installed it is normal on a police bike to show 14-16 v on the gauge.
-biketronics great kit for police bike.
- any seat from a FLHT-FLHTC-FLHTCUI will fit on this bike. Street glide and road king seats fit but you will have to add panel for your tank to match up or change console. You will need to remove all police seat hardware and install B-nut in your rear fender to install new seat

Old 11-23-2009, 05:19 PM
BlackKing05
Stage III
Default 05 flhp

I would not be too quick to give up the police seat. I love mine even thought it looks a bit like a tractor seat it has given many miles of comfort. I got a matching pilon from Mohawk and a sissy bar from HD. I can't help with the light but HD does sell a manual suppliment for the FLHP that shows all the wiring.

Check this forum for lots of ideas on things like getting rid of the saddle bag hocky pucks, cruise control equipment, etc. The stock tires are run flat and not rated for two up.

Right now I couldn't be happier with my 05. Have fun!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:47 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my 04 electra glide, the amp gauge always reads at max even when cruising, often thought about it but dealer says no worry. It has a battery tender when in garage

Old 11-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

My 07 flhp has the same dash as any other 07 RK. I removed the air ride seat myself, and have run both Mustang and Corbin seats with no problem.

The air ride seat is as ugly as it is comfy. The worst part of it is the cheap-azz 75-cent plastic tray that goes underneath to cover the battery. I've seen an aftermarket batt cover that is made out of fiberglass, and can be painted to match. I think that would be worthwhile if you want to run the original seat.

The other problem I had with the seat is that I felt I was sitting WAY too high. It's up and forward, which is really nice for low-speed control, but lousy for distance cruising.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:35 PM
jpsexton
Cruiser

Congratulations on the new bike! I assume you mean Electraglide Police since your talking about adding a radio. One thing to keep in mind when adding a radio on a Police Electraglide is that the speaker brackets are not inside the fairing like on the Electraglide Standard. You'll either have to use 4" speakers or buy the adapter rings.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:54 PM
94ultratour
Novice

Thanks for all of the responses. The vin shows the bike is a FLHTPI. Here is a "in process" picture of it. I am going to order the radio Tuesday and work on removing the tourpack and extra wires this weekend.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:03 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

well its definetely a flhtp not a flhp (road king) like you stated in your 1st post..
good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress congrats

Quick Reply: Just bought 05 flhp - abs / radio / seat / charge questions