Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temp Guage

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:55 AM
2001Roadking
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he's saying the way the numbers are on the gauge its hard to read what temp its actually at.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 120 Posts

Go here:

http://www.chicagoharley.com/shop/pr...ucts_id=510861

It's 20% off. This is the silver faced one that matches the gauges in the '09 FLHX.

Brad

Old 12-09-2009, 08:08 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

The gauge is completely accurate. The markings are a bit difficult to figure out. I forget exactly what's on it but it's something like 120,180,220,260, anyway they are not graduated evenly. Once i measured the temperature in the oil pan with a thermometer i knew for sure which mark corresponded to which temperature. My bike had been running 140-160 degrees in the pan(too cool) and i had to block off the oil cooler and lean out the mixture to get it back up to operating temperature.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:29 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great mod, it's nice looking down and having a visual of what the temp is.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 AM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowRain
The 09 instructions have the sensor installed using the spare plug in the oil pan.
This is true except if you have an oil cooler. Then the instruction have you install the sensor in one of the lines going to the oil cooler.

My dealer installed it this way and it didn'yt work worth a crap. I changed it to the pan as others have said and now it works well.

They showed me the Harley instructions for putting it in-line with the oil cooler but after my experience they have decided nott to install any more that way.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:25 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

While you're there, swap the oil pressure gauge with the voltage so that the oil temp and pressure gauges are above and below each other.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:00 AM
ms3300
Road Captain

I installed the McEwan gauge on my 08 EGC. It takes a little practice to read it accurately as the gauge, of necessity, is small making it difficult to see where the needle is pointing. Of note, the newer Harley bikes do run hot, the HD gauge registers to 350* while the McEwan only goes to 300*..several times in the hot Florida summer, I have almost pegged out my McEwan gauge, so you might wanna get the HD one. By the way, I like my temp gauge in place of the air temp...both the oil gauges are on the bottom...MO.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:17 PM
canuck pride
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FLHTCU Owner
While you're there, swap the oil pressure gauge with the voltage so that the oil temp and pressure gauges are above and below each other.
Great idea, do all the wires behind the fairing reach to the other side when switched?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:28 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by myred55
I would like to replace my outside temp. guage with an oil temp. guage but cannot find the gauge part number on the HD site. Does anyone know the part number to the guage and will I need any other related parts to install the guage?
There is another gauge that we've discussed recently on this Forum (Touring models). It's a dual Oil Temp/Cylinder Heat Temp made by Marlins Cycles. I don't have it (yet) but like the concept a lot. I understand the value of oil temperature but if I'm tracking temp, I might also track the one that matters most (to me anyway) which is engine temp and particularly cylinder head. That's what the ECM tracks and that's what is used to shut the rear cylinder off when you're stuck in traffic (EITMS). The beauty of this gauge is that you have a toggle switch to watch either oil temp or cylinder head temp.

http://www.icc-comm.com/motorcycles/...tml?c19.html&1

Old 12-09-2009, 01:47 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ms3300
I installed the McEwan gauge on my 08 EGC. It takes a little practice to read it accurately as the gauge, of necessity, is small making it difficult to see where the needle is pointing. Of note, the newer Harley bikes do run hot, the HD gauge registers to 350* while the McEwan only goes to 300*..several times in the hot Florida summer, I have almost pegged out my McEwan gauge, so you might wanna get the HD one. By the way, I like my temp gauge in place of the air temp...both the oil gauges are on the bottom...MO.
Just curious,what do you do when your gauge pegs at 300 deg.,pull over and let the bike cool down,keep riding,what? I'd planned on installing the gauge last spring when I slapped on a Jagg cooler,decided against it because too many guys would get fixated on the gauge, freaking themselves out and ruining their ride.Went with the dipstick gauge instead and might glance at it when getting gas etc.With the cooler @100+ deg. hard riding oil temp.hangs in around 225-235.Hit 270 one time stuck in traffic in Vegas last summer@113 deg.Only time heat mangement kicked in.The dipstick gauge has gotten some bad reviews,supposedly the newer ones hold up better,mine's worked good so far.

Quick Reply: Oil Temp Guage