Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surgeon says I can ride again!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 09:36 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the return. What caused you to have the surgery?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Terminator69
Road Master

I also have had a fusion, 3 back surgeries in 3 yrs, Last one said thats as good as you get, Which pretty much sucks, I got terminated by my employer last mont and it was a work comp injury. I don't know if I will ever work again also in the process of losing my house. One thing I can tell you about getting back in the saddle is make sure you stay hydrated,I thought my surgeon was nutz when he told me that but I found out first hand in sturgis he was right. Also dress warm when you get chilled it will go right into your lower back. 1 more thing, If you had any problems with syatica get a pr of those biking shorts to ride in, even the smallest of undie wear lines can cause discomfort. Start out short and build up to it. I can go fartheron my bike than I can the car. Also look into a backrest. Good luck. Todd

Old 12-15-2009, 09:57 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife swears it's psycological, but after a disective decompressive lumbar lamonectomy (fancy way to say he removed a bunch of bone) L-4/L-5, My back is actually stiffer when I don't ride for a few days. I guess I'm lucky enough to have the right seat/bars position on my geezer glide. Psycho-sematic? Who cares, I like to ride, and I like to feel good! so it's win/win!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:15 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

I have 2 bulging disks in my lower back, and riding is way more comfortable than drive in a car. Did 810 miles in one day and felt great.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:22 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I had lower back surgery a number of years back to remove a ruptured disk. Just take it easy at first, and don't try any marathon rides. Build up your strength and endurance, and you'll be a new man. It certainly worked for me. Best of Luck now that you're on the mend. Enjoy.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:49 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well now...there is some good news. Two wheels beats a hospital bed all to hell!

Take it slow for awhile.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Avmech97
Road Master

Welcome back & I hope you continue to heal and can enjoy plenty of ridin.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:28 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats....and like somebody else said you may have to change bars and seat to get good and comfy...I have back problems and that was what i had to do.......Good luck and be safe.....dont push yourself......go slow...

Old 12-15-2009, 01:31 PM
michael427
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the advice and grats! My bike definetly feels more comfortable than my truck or my wife clown car, I mean ford focus. (that thing kills me!) I'm just starting small going around town and the county for now. The cold makes than easy. It does go right to the back. The sciatic and abd. pain is almost all gone now so thats nice. I had to have the surgery because I blew out the disc at L5-S1 and crushed the foreamen that the nerves go through. Thought it was all in my head and didn't want to lose my job so I worked EMS with it for 2 years before it got to the point where I couldn't walk. They rushed me in and found bone frags everywhere in the muscle and nerves. Doc said it was like hamburger and I was lucky to hae use of my legs and my crank. that was scary. I also had herniations above it but they evened out now that the major damage is fixed. I'm still gonna ride with a brace for a while till I feel comfortable again but life is good once again. Thanks again guys!

Old 12-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you are on the mend and back in the saddle.

Take it SLOW!!!

Quick Reply: Surgeon says I can ride again!!!!