Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:42 AM
Fatburger
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Speakin of tire pressure. Harley got me to replace the air with 100% nitrogen. Ain't the air we breath 75% oxygen? (accept in L.A. where it's 90 % smog). Harley said race cars and bikes have used 100% nitrogen in there tires for years. Money making scam or legitimate service?

Old 12-28-2009, 04:28 AM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my metzlers i run 45 ft & rear and they handel and wear great

Old 12-28-2009, 04:32 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fatburger
Speakin of tire pressure. Harley got me to replace the air with 100% nitrogen. Ain't the air we breath 75% oxygen? (accept in L.A. where it's 90 % smog). Harley said race cars and bikes have used 100% nitrogen in there tires for years. Money making scam or legitimate service?
Pretty much a money making scam. All it does is leak out of the tire slower than standard air.

Max tire pressure is for when you have a max load. With exception of Metzeler you should go by the book.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:32 AM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior

Nitrogen is a good deal the pressure does not go up and down as much. Did they charge you for it?
when you buy car and truck tires from costco that is what they put in no choice good deal if you ask me.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:34 AM
douglas07UC
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the atmosphere is less than 20% oxygen. It is mostly nitrogen. Nitrogen is lighter than "air" and non-corrosive. Your wheels are now slightly lighter.

You may get .01 mpg better gas mileage. That could make a difference in Nascar but it isn't enough for me to spend money on.

Thanks,

Douglas

Old 12-28-2009, 04:39 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 305 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I run what the owner's manual calls for. The tire pressure stamped on the side of a tire is the maximum pressure that you should ever have in that tire for safety reasons. I'm sure there is some built in fudge there.

The only professional vehicles that run that max pressure are OTR 18 wheelers and some buses, as well as motorhome bus conversions like Prevost. And you have probably noticed OTR truck rubber on the road. The truckers do it to carry a maximum pay load. I see no eason to ever run the max pressure on a motorcycle unless you are doing a run for maximum mph.

My 07 RK owner's manual and service manual call for 36 psi front and 40 psi rear for two up riding and that is what I always run even though I seldom ride two up.

Check your manual. I think 25 psi is dangerously low in your front.
+1

The number on the tire itself is put there as a not to exceed pressure for the tire by the tire manufacturer to prevent damage and overinflation of the tire. That doesn't mean that you are supposed to run that much. The vehicle manufacturer sets the recommended tire pressure to keep in the tire based on their testing to provide the best possible combination of stability, handling, ride, safety, and wear. Go by your vehicle's owner manual, not the tire that can be used on multiple vehicles. This applies to everything on the road, not just bikes.

The following users liked this post:
sbarron (03-23-2018)
Old 12-28-2009, 07:12 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig4711a
The D408 front tire says 41 PSI. I'd like to know how many of you pressure up your tires to the maximum tire pressure. I have 25 PSI in my front tire, and it seems to be hard. Would you recommend upping the pressure to 41, or a lesser pressure?
Low tire pressure can cause a bike to not handle well just when you need it. The recommended tire pressure is there for a reason. Higher tire pressure may not be as comfortable but should in most cases, get higher mileage.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:25 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

25 lbs pressure sure rides smooth..... ever notice the bike is hard to start rolling backwards( flat spot in tire from low pressure)it will also start wearing the tire on the edges too (cuping)put 36 to 38 in it and feel the difference

Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
The book says 36 lbs front, 40 rear (at least for the stock tires).
+1 it's also marked on the frame. On the right down tube.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:45 AM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 756 Likes on 479 Posts

i have metzlers and run 45 psi too. handles great.

Quick Reply: Help on tire pressure