Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Help on tire pressure (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/460111-help-on-tire-pressure.html)

Craig4711a 12-27-2009 11:33 PM

Help on tire pressure

The D408 front tire says 41 PSI. I'd like to know how many of you pressure up your tires to the maximum tire pressure. I have 25 PSI in my front tire, and it seems to be hard. Would you recommend upping the pressure to 41, or a lesser pressure?

Clint55 12-28-2009 12:08 AM

:icon_lurk5: What do you think?

BLKBAGGER 12-28-2009 12:26 AM

I would at least have 38-40 in it. I run the max in my tires.

JohnScrip 12-28-2009 12:41 AM

I run 40 in both (and around 20-25 in the shocks, while we're on the subject).

25 is dangerously low... Unless it's some freaky tire I don't know about...

fairplay 12-28-2009 12:50 AM

I got a 21" Metz and it says 42 max. Anything less seems to look flat and feel mushy. Now if I could only get my hog pro wheels to hold the pressure.

TI06 12-28-2009 12:57 AM

I always run the max air pressure and check weekly

kromdom 12-28-2009 12:59 AM

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...new-tires.html

Lincoln33 12-28-2009 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Craig4711a (Post 6013561)
The D408 front tire says 41 PSI. I'd like to know how many of you pressure up your tires to the maximum tire pressure. I have 25 PSI in my front tire, and it seems to be hard. Would you recommend upping the pressure to 41, or a lesser pressure?

Motorcycle Consumer News magazine had something on this a while back. If you run the tires low they run hotter and wear out quicker while risking a flat. If I remember right they recommended running the tires just under the max reading. My tires have a 41 max psi and I run them between 35 and 38 psi.

davessworks 12-28-2009 01:07 AM

The book says 36 lbs front, 40 rear (at least for the stock tires).

txfxstrider 12-28-2009 02:04 AM

I run what the owner's manual calls for. The tire pressure stamped on the side of a tire is the maximum pressure that you should ever have in that tire for safety reasons. I'm sure there is some built in fudge there.

The only professional vehicles that run that max pressure are OTR 18 wheelers and some buses, as well as motorhome bus conversions like Prevost. And you have probably noticed OTR truck rubber on the road. The truckers do it to carry a maximum pay load. I see no eason to ever run the max pressure on a motorcycle unless you are doing a run for maximum mph.

My 07 RK owner's manual and service manual call for 36 psi front and 40 psi rear for two up riding and that is what I always run even though I seldom ride two up.

Check your manual. I think 25 psi is dangerously low in your front.

Fatburger 12-28-2009 02:42 AM

Speakin of tire pressure. Harley got me to replace the air with 100% nitrogen. Ain't the air we breath 75% oxygen? (accept in L.A. where it's 90 % smog). Harley said race cars and bikes have used 100% nitrogen in there tires for years. Money making scam or legitimate service?

mtairy biker 12-28-2009 04:28 AM

on my metzlers i run 45 ft & rear and they handel and wear great

BoomerBob 12-28-2009 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Fatburger (Post 6013759)
Speakin of tire pressure. Harley got me to replace the air with 100% nitrogen. Ain't the air we breath 75% oxygen? (accept in L.A. where it's 90 % smog). Harley said race cars and bikes have used 100% nitrogen in there tires for years. Money making scam or legitimate service?

Pretty much a money making scam. All it does is leak out of the tire slower than standard air.

Max tire pressure is for when you have a max load. With exception of Metzeler you should go by the book.

mtairy biker 12-28-2009 04:32 AM

Nitrogen is a good deal the pressure does not go up and down as much. Did they charge you for it?
when you buy car and truck tires from costco that is what they put in no choice good deal if you ask me.

douglas07UC 12-28-2009 04:34 AM

I think the atmosphere is less than 20% oxygen. It is mostly nitrogen. Nitrogen is lighter than "air" and non-corrosive. Your wheels are now slightly lighter.

You may get .01 mpg better gas mileage. That could make a difference in Nascar but it isn't enough for me to spend money on.

Thanks,

Douglas

EdwardK 12-28-2009 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by txfxstrider (Post 6013738)
I run what the owner's manual calls for. The tire pressure stamped on the side of a tire is the maximum pressure that you should ever have in that tire for safety reasons. I'm sure there is some built in fudge there.

The only professional vehicles that run that max pressure are OTR 18 wheelers and some buses, as well as motorhome bus conversions like Prevost. And you have probably noticed OTR truck rubber on the road. The truckers do it to carry a maximum pay load. I see no eason to ever run the max pressure on a motorcycle unless you are doing a run for maximum mph.

My 07 RK owner's manual and service manual call for 36 psi front and 40 psi rear for two up riding and that is what I always run even though I seldom ride two up.

Check your manual. I think 25 psi is dangerously low in your front.

+1

The number on the tire itself is put there as a not to exceed pressure for the tire by the tire manufacturer to prevent damage and overinflation of the tire. That doesn't mean that you are supposed to run that much. The vehicle manufacturer sets the recommended tire pressure to keep in the tire based on their testing to provide the best possible combination of stability, handling, ride, safety, and wear. Go by your vehicle's owner manual, not the tire that can be used on multiple vehicles. This applies to everything on the road, not just bikes.

shortride 12-28-2009 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Craig4711a (Post 6013561)

Low tire pressure can cause a bike to not handle well just when you need it. The recommended tire pressure is there for a reason. Higher tire pressure may not be as comfortable but should in most cases, get higher mileage.

imrotton2 12-28-2009 07:25 AM

25 lbs pressure sure rides smooth..... ever notice the bike is hard to start rolling backwards( flat spot in tire from low pressure)it will also start wearing the tire on the edges too (cuping)put 36 to 38 in it and feel the difference

carlo 12-28-2009 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by davessworks (Post 6013706)
The book says 36 lbs front, 40 rear (at least for the stock tires).

+1 it's also marked on the frame. On the right down tube.

ANIMAL03 12-28-2009 07:45 AM

i have metzlers and run 45 psi too. handles great.

BadBobOk 12-28-2009 07:59 AM

I run the following custom blend of gasses. I've never had an issue.

Nitrogen N2 78.084 %
Oxygen O2 20.9476 %
Argon Ar 0.934 %
Carbon Dioxide CO2 0.0314 %
Neon Ne 0.001818 %
Methane CH4 0.0002 %
Helium He 0.000524 %
Krypton Kr 0.000114 %
Hydrogen H2 0.00005 %
Xenon Xe 0.0000087 %

jimsflh 12-28-2009 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by BadBobOk (Post 6014166)

Nitrogen N2 78.084 %
Oxygen O2 20.9476 %
Argon Ar 0.934 %
Neon Ne 0.001818 %
Methane CH4 0.0002 %
Helium He 0.000524 %
Krypton Kr 0.000114 %
Hydrogen H2 0.00005 %
Xenon Xe 0.0000087 %

LMAO! (you forgot about the small amount of atomized oil from the compressor)

shortride 12-28-2009 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by jimsflh (Post 6014194)
LMAO! (you forgot about the small amount of atomized oil from the compressor)

He forgot Nitrous oxide (laughing gas).

Roadie09 12-28-2009 08:32 AM

Even 15 psi will feel hard, unless you have a bionic arm. Lower pressure will generate extra heat and accelerate tire wear.

shortride 12-28-2009 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by cyclonecutting (Post 6014272)
Even 15 psi will feel hard, unless you have a bionic arm. Lower pressure will generate extra heat and accelerate tire wear.

You are correct. Generating extra heat in a tire can also cause a blowout.

Texas Fat Boy 12-28-2009 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by txfxstrider (Post 6013738)
.................And you have probably noticed OTR truck rubber on the road. The truckers do it to carry a maximum pay load................

That truck rubber you see on the road is usually from truckers running "recap tires" to save money. The "glued on cap" will seperate and come off.

............and blown tires on trucks are usually caused by the tire beside it being low on air, putting extra load (more excessive weight) on the properly pressured tire.

FYI: I use to drive trucks. I never used recap tires they are pieces of crap. But they are cheaper and guys get by most of the time with them. I also knew truckers who would loosen the brakes on their trailers, so the brake pads wouldn't wear out as fast. Some people just don't care about safety. That is why you see so many truck inspections going on, on the highways.

Texas Fat Boy 12-28-2009 09:35 AM

When your owners manual says "36 front and 40 rear" that isn't the "maximum pressure", that is the "proper pressure" to run.

twodollarbill 12-28-2009 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by carlo (Post 6014062)
+1 it's also marked on the frame. On the right down tube.

:icon_ditto:

twodollarbill 12-28-2009 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by cyclonecutting (Post 6014272)

I have a new 407 rear tire sitting flat on my work bench.
That thing is as hard as a rock.

Kumite 12-28-2009 11:28 AM

From the Dunlop site.....

As the world leader in motorcycle tires, Dunlop continues to be concerned about the lack of attention paid by many cyclists to proper use and maintenance of their tires, particularly when fitted to motorcycles intended for touring.

Dunlop technical personnel have attended touring rallies all over North America to collect vital data and give instructional seminars.

What we have observed at these rallies alarms us; many touring riders are not following proper tire maintenance procedures.

The requirements for proper tire usage are not complicated, but they do require consistent attention.

Owners and operators of motorcycles should closely monitor vehicle loadings to insure they are within the maximum loads and corresponding inflation pressures for their tires. This basic load and pressure information is clearly stamped on the tire sidewalls.

The tire does not support the load-the air pressure does. The manufacturer's ratings for the maximum load and inflation pressure are critical tire design elements. If not observed, the handling and performance of your motorcycle will be greatly affected.

We have checked inflation pressures at several touring rallies and found a high percentage of rear tires to be underinflated. In addition, weight checks of the rear axles of these motorcycles indicated a number of tires were loaded beyond maximum capacity.

Our inspections have not been limited to those cycles fitted with Dunlop tires; the situation exists for all brands of tires.

Regardless of the make of tire, this is a serious problem. Riders of motorcycles with significantly underinflated and overloaded tires will experience handling and steering difficulty. In addition, this abuse will result in disappointing premature tire wear and may cause catastrophic tire failure.

The addition of accessories, cargo, and dual riding to touring motorcycles aggravates the problems of overloading and underinflation. The excessive flexing that results from underinflation or overload causes buildup of internal heat, fatigue cracking and eventual carcass breakup resulting in complete failure. A consequence of such failure may be an accident with serious personal injury or death.

The appearance of stress cracks in the tread grooves is one indicator of overload and/or underinflation. If you find evidence of tread groove cracking, you should remove and replace the tire immediately. This damage is permanent and non-repairable.

Our inspection of tires of various style and manufacture at rallies and our subsequent testing have confirmed that underinflation (and/or excessive load) causes tread groove cracking and can result in more serious damage within the tire body. Uneven wear may also accompany underinflated use. Failure to heed these visual warnings can result in tire failure or blowout.

The use of trailers can also contribute to tire damage and touring motorcycle instability. Although most motorcycle manufacturers recommend against their use, a percentage of the motorcycles we have inspected were so equipped. The trailer tongue weight added to an already heavily laden motorcycle can fail a rear tire. The percentage of overloaded motorcycle rear tires found during our inspection would have been higher if trailer tongue weight had been considered. The forces of rapid acceleration and deceleration may also multiply the effects of trailer tongue weight.

To get the maximum safe use out of your tires and maximum touring enjoyment you should:
  1. Properly maintain all aspects of your vehicle in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations. Read and reread your motorcycle owner's manual.
  2. Never exceed the loading and accessories restrictions found in your motorcycle owner's manual, or the maximum load displayed on the tire sidewalls. Know your loaded vehicle weight!
  3. Check air pressure at frequent, regular intervals, particularly just before and during long trips. Always use an accurate tire gauge* and check pressures only when the tires are cold (i.e., wait one hour after running). We have found many cheap gauges to be off more than 5 psi, so be sure to use a top quality gauge and preferably one that retains the pressure reading until reset!
  4. Inspect your tires as often as possible. Look for irregular wear, any signs of cracking in the sidewalls and tread, blisters, knots, cuts or punctures. Immediately remove and replace damaged tires.
If in doubt, ask your motorcycle tire dealer to check your loading, inflation and tires. Remember, your tires stand between you and a serious accident.

For touring motorcycle loading, follow these general guidelines:
  1. [*]
Please Note:
For any dual riding or fully loaded use, 40 psi must be maintained in all Dunlop rear tires fitted to touring motorcycles.

In addition to following these recommendations, notice what your tires are telling you while you're riding. If your steering response is slow or mushy, or if cornering and braking response is heavy, there's a good chance your tires are underinflated. Vibration or wobble may signal that actual tire damage has occurred and failure is imminent!

If you conscientiously follow our recommendations, you will enjoy better, longer, and safer tire performance and many, many miles of touring pleasure.

Kumite 12-28-2009 11:36 AM

From the Metzler site....

Tire Pressure

Always inflate tires to the correct pressure as indicated in the owner's manual. However Metzeler North America has found the air pressure suggestions listed below will improve mileage and customer satisfaction especially if a emphasis is placed on running the air pressure towards the maximum as stated on the sidewall. Check cold tire pressures frequently. Correct tire pressure is crucial for safe handling. Over inflation may impair ride comfort and reduce the contact patch between the tire and driving surface of the tires. Insufficient air pressure will result in poor handling and cause a tendency for the motorcycle to "wander". In addition, improper and insufficient tire will cause accelerated tire wear, increased fuel consumption, less control and the possibilities for tire failure to due an overload/under inflated operating situation.

dhincc 12-28-2009 12:13 PM

Thanks Kumite. Good information. I appreciate it!

Ride safe! (on properly inflated and loaded tires, of course!).

SteveO 12-28-2009 12:16 PM

36 front 41 rear

Estil 12-28-2009 12:55 PM

Follow the owners manual. They just didn't pick a number out of thin air. (IMHO) :icon_twocents:

Craig4711a 12-28-2009 07:51 PM

Thanks everyone for all the info... I also have nitrogen filled tires, and I assume it's okay to add air to the nitrogen. The atmosphere is already 79% nitrogen so, I guess the 20% of air won't hurt anything. Thanks again for all the info.

davessworks 12-28-2009 08:34 PM

A cautionary tale - this isn't just about getting good longevity from your tires. I have a friend who was riding 2 up (he and his wife) up in Vancouver, Canada. He didn't have enough pressure in his rear tire. He went into a curve and the tire flattened out enough that he couldn't control the curve. Even though he was only doing about 20mph he ended up in the concrete divider (fortunately there was one - or he'd have been in oncoming traffic). He had a compound fracture - the bone ground along the concrete. The Canadian doctors insisted he had to have his leg amputated. Luckily his insurance covered a medivac flight back to the USA where they saved the leg.

davessworks 12-28-2009 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Craig4711a (Post 6016728)
Thanks everyone for all the info... I also have nitrogen filled tires, and I assume it's okay to add air to the nitrogen. The atmosphere is already 79% nitrogen so, I guess the 20% of air won't hurt anything. Thanks again for all the info.

Good assumption.

Rebellious_SK 03-23-2018 02:46 AM

I think I have some cans of that for sale also! 🤔🤗😎

Originally Posted by BadBobOk (Post 6014166)

Nitrogen N2 78.084 %
Oxygen O2 20.9476 %
Argon Ar 0.934 %
Neon Ne 0.001818 %
Methane CH4 0.0002 %
Helium He 0.000524 %
Krypton Kr 0.000114 %
Hydrogen H2 0.00005 %
Xenon Xe 0.0000087 %

🤔🤗😎

hbsoldier3 03-23-2018 02:51 AM

I run the tires per manufacturer's instructions. In my case, it is Avon Cobras 39/45 psi.

hbsoldier3 03-23-2018 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by kthwhittaker1@gmail.com (Post 17206815)
I think I have some cans of that for sale also! 🤔🤗😎

🤔🤗😎

Hey new guy, you might wanna change your username to something less revealing, jus sayin.