Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with 2010 Road King - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:57 AM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you! Those kind of things suk.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:11 AM
hot95hog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moondogger
I took my bike in to the dealership yesterday. I got the call today that the "Run" switch was faulty, they had one in stock so they were able to replace it right away. I pick up the bike on Friday.

-Alex
I hope you had them open the primary to see it you damaged the starter bendix or ring gear. Would suck to be you to be in the middle of no where when it lets go due to damage incurred by the defective switch.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Moondogger
I just opened the switch housing on the handlebar, everything looks fine, no pinched wires that I could see. I'm in LA and we're in a heat wave right now, so no freezing here!

I'm not going to mess with it any more and let the dealer figure it out on Tuesday.

Nocarb,

Was this a chronic problem you had with your '08?? Is there a "lemon law" for motorcycles?

Thanks,

Alex
It's kinda puzzling how a defective "Run" switch could cause this problem. Oh well... Live & learn, I guess.

IMHO, you should insist on a new starter drive and a close inspection of the primary drive internals and especially the teeth on the ring gear on the clutch basket. As stated above, a future failure in the boonies would suck!

Good luck and best wishes,

John

Last edited by jpooch00; 01-14-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:22 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bike does this too!!

IT cant be the run switch or the starter switch as the TSSM locks out the starter button and the whole starter cuircuit unless the clutch is pulled in or the bike is in neutral.

I have been unplugging the green wire at the starter soleniod as I cant trust it.

Dealer blamed the S&S engine!!!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Boo2you
Advanced

I think they have misinformed you. There is nothing you can do to the run stop switch to make it pick up the starter unless the start contacts are closed in the start switch.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Boo2you
I think they have misinformed you. There is nothing you can do to the run stop switch to make it pick up the starter unless the start contacts are closed in the start switch.
Since it was a harley "tech" that worked on it, there's no telling what was really wrong or if it's actually fixed or not. If they actually did replace the run switch, I doubt if that really fixed it. They possibly inadvertently fixed the problem when they were rooting around with the wiring.

Time will tell.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:34 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Since it was a harley "tech" that worked on it, there's no telling what was really wrong or if it's actually fixed or not. .
Damn straight.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

I would have suspected the starter relay

Old 01-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Moondogger
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

The two service writers are friends of mine, they made sure the tech checked the starter gear, primary, and clutch basket, everything checked out fine. I pick up the bike in a few hours, I'll get more details then.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:15 PM
ChicagoColorado
2nd Gear

This just happened to my 2008 RKC....I started it up in the garage to make sure all was good to go for tomorrow's ride. after making sure all was good...I stepped inside to grab something and came back out to smell something not good.

shut it down, came inside, and searched the problem here.

Exact same symptoms. Luckily I have the extended warranty - should cover any and everything.

Crap - and i was going to go riding tomorrow too...****

Quick Reply: Problem with 2010 Road King - Need Help