Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Radio Kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 311 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Aftermarket Radio Kits

Just curious as to what type of aftermarket kits are out there to install aftermarket radios.
I know there is Biketronics and Hawg-Wired. I know Hawg Wired well but not much about Biketronics. The HW universal install kit is by far from cheap at over $250. Can anyone chime in on the Biketronics kit pricewise and functionality wise ? I don't see the kit listed separately on their site.

Thanks

Last edited by Badbagger; 01-12-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:23 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just another option. I put a kenwood Excelon series reciever and speakers in my 05 Standard with some kenwood tweeters and it sounds pretty good. It's kenwood's high end stuff, and it's really not all that expensive.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Tom, if you scroll down Biketronics' "Products" page you will find the "Modules" listed:

http://www.biketronics.com/Audio%20Solutions.html

The "Modules" include the interface module (that allows handlebar control of the head unit) and the installation kit (basically a radio bezel, faceplate, and mounting hardware). The prices are $199.95 for Sony only interface modules/installation kits or $219.95 for the module/kit that works with Alpine,etc.

IIRC, the Hawg-wired interface module and install kit is $249.95. If you register on the cvoharley.com forum, hd-dude on that forum is a HW dealer and offers a 10% discount.

I had the BT module and install kit on my bike for 3+ years and it worked great. It comes with a lifetime warranty. Perhaps the best testament on BT's quality is that used ones seldom show up on Ebay.

PAC offers a module for use on Harleys. These are automotive steering wheel modules for control of the head unit. I don't know if any one has made the PAC module into a plug and play unit. PAC's website has a wiring diagram for use on Harleys, but it requires wiring in resistors.

BT and HW make excellent modules. The HW install kit, especially their radio cradle, is a more elegant product for installing the DIN size automotive head unit. But BT's install kit (essentially blocks for each side of the head unit) is perfectly functional.

Good luck with your research and shopping.

PS: Only BT's module offers Automatic Volume Control.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Let us know what you decide BB...

Old 01-12-2010, 10:12 AM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Badbagger
Just curious as to what type of aftermarket kits are out there to install aftermarket radios.
I know there is Biketronics and Hawg-Wired. I know Hawg Wired well but not much about Biketronics. The HW universal install kit is by far from cheap at over $250. Can anyone chime in on the Biketronics kit pricewise and functionality wise ? I don't see the kit listed separately on their site.

Thanks
I did the Hawg wired. Easy install great product. I even had my painter color match it.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Radio Kits-dscn0214.jpg  
Old 01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Carl, thanks MUCH as usual for great info! Vtwin, thanks for the pic!

Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Skygoose
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a Biketronics install on my 04 FLHTPI. I could not be happier. The instructions were great; price and shipping very reasonable; performance top notch and the customer service could not be better. I am a happy customer.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:23 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Skygoose
Did a Biketronics install on my 04 FLHTPI. I could not be happier. The instructions were great; price and shipping very reasonable; performance top notch and the customer service could not be better. I am a happy customer.
There are a lot of threads started by guys with police Electra Glides asking how to install a radio in their bikes, but very little detailed responses are supplied. You would be doing a service to HDF if you would take the time to write-up and post pics of your installation. Even if you only photograph the handlebar controls, provide a link to the BT kit you purchased, etc., it would be a real help. Taking the outer fairing off and showing the wiring connections, module, etc. would be great.

Hope you will do it.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:31 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
There are a lot of threads started by guys with police Electra Glides asking how to install a radio in their bikes, but very little detailed responses are supplied. You would be doing a service to HDF if you would take the time to write-up and post pics of your installation. Even if you only photograph the handlebar controls, provide a link to the BT kit you purchased, etc., it would be a real help. Taking the outer fairing off and showing the wiring connections, module, etc. would be great.

Hope you will do it.

Good point Carl, pics of this would be GREAT and a bit of info on the install.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:50 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

I have the biketronics on mine and it works and fits good plus the hand controls still work. Just don't let your battery die on you and then jump the bike off. It does something to the hand control module. The first time it was simple to fix, just unhook the battery the second time I had to replace the module. They were very helpful and sent a replacement free of charge. They said they didn't know why it does that when you jump start a bike but they have been trying to fix that, needless to say I keep mine hooked up to the battery tender now I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radio Kits