Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of my 95" Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:30 PM
cthowards
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of my 95" Build

Well, my parts from T-Man Performance arrived earlier this week and after checking everything over and cleaning everything, I started assembly today. My build consists of a TMAN 95" kit with his Stage 2 heads, the TMAN 625 chain drive cams, the upgraded cam plate with hydraulic tensioners, the TMAN 3 stage oil pump, Wiseco forged pistons, and a cometic .040 head gasket. While this build is not as exciting as Phil M's or some of the others I've seen on this forum, it is my first build on my first Harley (2006 Ultra Classic that I bought used) so I am pumped up and can't wait to fire this thing up.

Below is a picture of the cam chest. I removed the stock inner cam bearings using a blind bearing remover kit I bought a few years ago.

I pressed in the Timken bearings using a tool from George's Garage. The tool worked awesome...I couldn't imagine installing them without it.

Here's a picture of the installed bearings.

I then checked the gap on the piston rings and installed them on the pistons. I called TR with a question and he let me know he had already checked the gaps for me...very nice guy. I marked up the pistons so I could remember where the gaps where supposed to go. For some reason, I kept checking their location over and over...

For the build I am doing, I thought the newer style cam plate with hydraulic tensioner's would be fine. For cams, I went with TMAN's 625...that sucker has some lift! TR was very helpful with deciding on these items. He will not push the higher priced items on you and will tell you how it is.

I also went with TMAN's 3 stage oil pump. This pump is a thing of beauty. I tore it apart, cleaned it up and asembled with plenty of assembly lube.

The hardest part for me up to this point was installing the cylinders...had a hard time with the ring compressor and slipping the cylinders over the rings. I finally got it though. With the cylinders, pistons and all other parts, I cleaned everything a few days ago with simple green and warm water and then used a brake and parts cleaner to wipe everything down before I lubricated and assembled.

I went with the TMAN Stage 2 heads since I decided to keep my stock throttle body. I don't have alot of experience with Harely builds, but I was impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of his work. Attached are a couple of pictures.

After taking my time installing the heads and torquing them down, I finished up with the cam chest. For the oil pump alignment, I had my son hold down the start button while I slowly tightened down the bolts. This method seemed to work awesome because it provided a steady rotation with a consistent speed. I also used a cam locking tool from George's Garage...another tool that I would not go without.

After putting the cam chest cover on, I called it a day. I need a set of rocker box gaskets so I likely won't go any further until I get them. Also, my rocker box supports are supposed to be in on Tuesday so progress is coming to a halt until then. This is really fun!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 AM
buttman
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kudos to you!!!!! Awesome post, keep it coming with pics and running comentary. I love it when first timers get to doing this kind of stuff. This build now makes two T-man builds that I'm following. I hope I can catch up with Phil before he buttons up his top end. He's says he will have some down time while he goes to the V-TWIN expo, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has it done before he goes north......if I know him, he will be finishing this build in his sleep.........just saying.....

Old 01-31-2010, 12:25 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cthowards
Well, my parts from T-Man Performance arrived earlier this week and after checking everything over and cleaning everything, I started assembly today. My build consists of a TMAN 95" kit with his Stage 2 heads, the TMAN 625 chain drive cams, the upgraded cam plate with hydraulic tensioners, the TMAN 3 stage oil pump, Wiseco forged pistons, and a cometic .040 head gasket. While this build is not as exciting as Phil M's or some of the others I've seen on this forum, it is my first build on my first Harley (2006 Ultra Classic that I bought used) so I am pumped up and can't wait to fire this thing up.
DON'T under estimate yourself or your build.

That's some great stuff and very well documented! Great pics too...

I have a feeling you're really gonna like that build! I have a Stage 2 95" build with the TR525's coming up soon too. This one will be a 10:1 setup for a guy who just wants a little bump in power and to freshen things up on his 05 Ultra. Boy is he in for a surprise!!!

Keep up the good work & I'll be eagerly waiting to hear some feedback on how it "rides". Be sure you get it in the hands of a COMPETENT tuner when ya get it built.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:51 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

625 is a huge cam for a 95. She is gonna scream....

Another Tman kit with chain drive, big lift cam. People are getting braver with those little bracelets!!

Wasnt that long ago that anything over 525 was gear drive.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:07 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by kingkingking
Wasnt that long ago that anything over 525 was gear drive.
That's also before the roller chain setup with hydraulic tensioners.

I've always used gear drives on mine, but all the 07 & later builds I've done have been the roller chains and they have all been A-Ok.

I've seen the tensioner pads on these setups look like new @ 40k miles. If I had not seen it myself, I wouldn't have believed it.

All the HQ cam for 07+ motors are roller chain setup.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:15 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilM
That's also before the roller chain setup with hydraulic tensioners.

I've always used gear drives on mine, but all the 07 & later builds I've done have been the roller chains and they have all been A-Ok.

I've seen the tensioner pads on these setups look like new @ 40k miles. If I had not seen it myself, I wouldn't have believed it.

All the HQ cam for 07+ motors are roller chain setup.
Yeah, the hydraulic tensioners are a great solution.

Have you had any issues with chain stretch??

I remember the early chains used to grow significantly when spinning big lifts, retarding timing.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:22 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Haven't had any "issues", but I guess it's hard to say (or prove?) that it doesn't or couldn't occur with the new style chain(s) ~ or old ones, for that matter.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:05 AM
cthowards
Advanced

With respect to cam drive or chain drive cams, I really wasn't sure. Everybody I talked to seemed to indicate they have seen no problems with the new hydraulic tensioner setup. So, I talked it over with TR and he thought hydraulic tensioners would be just fine....I guess I'll find out!

The 625 cam does have some lift. I had the rocker boxes machined so the valve sping retainers would clear and also had the rocker covers machined to remove some of the webings for rocker arm clearance. I was suprised to find that I had at least .060 of clearance in the cam chest so no removal of material was done in there (thankfully because I wasn't looking forward to all those particals flying around).

Here is a picture of the cams in the cam plate.

I'll keep updating as I move along.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats man.... I remember my first build. was intimidated at first, untill i got my hands in it, then i had a blast. ive done a bunch since and really enjoy it....

Old 01-31-2010, 11:37 AM
deezee
Cruiser

Just got done with my mild 103" build a week and a half ago. Im trying my best to hold it under 4k............Lord knows I slipped up a time or 2

Congrats on the smooth build so far......Youre gonna love it the 1st time you crank her over to see if youre getting oil pressure, then bust another woody when you heat cycle her for the 1st time. Enjoy the process..........

Quick Reply: Pictures of my 95" Build