Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King aftermarket fairing

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:40 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Texas Rapier
TooEasy

I like what you did with the wired remote. Love to get my hands on one of those. I beleive I could take it apart and tap into the curcuit board to make it work with the harley thumb controls.

And when you do, please let me know. That is what I'd like to do with mine. You're just the guy to tackle this and report back.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 PM
brunosrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not buy my fairing from Woody I found one I liked on eBay, researched it for quality. Spoke to the builder no less than ten times before I pulled the trigger. I outfitted, wired and made it do what I wanted it to do. And yes I'm happy with it. But if I would have know about woody before I purchased it he would have got my business.
I have the same fairing that Tex has and I too am completely satisfied with it. I also checked with Woody's before buying. I prefer two 6x9's and asked Woody about it. I found out he doesn't provide that option. The four 5 inch speaker fairings are just too cluttered looking for my taste. My 6x9's provide the sound quality that I was after. May not be as great as some others, but I'm happy with it.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the same fairing that Tex has and I too am completely satisfied with it. I also checked with Woody's before buying. I prefer two 6x9's and asked Woody about it. I found out he doesn't provide that option. The four 5 inch speaker fairings are just too cluttered looking for my taste. My 6x9's provide the sound quality that I was after. May not be as great as some others, but I'm happy with it.
I'm very pleased that you like the fairing. Your reasons for buying it were pretty much the same as mine. so wherre the pictures!!!!!

Old 10-01-2010, 02:53 PM
brunosrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very pleased that you like the fairing. Your reasons for buying it were pretty much the same as mine. so wherre the pictures!!!!!

Not really!! Primary intent was to comment on how the "sound" from two 6x9's was acceptable to me. Kinda hard to get pics of sound. But seriously, I'll get some pics up sooner or later. Need a new battery for my camera. The old one just won't hold a charge anymore.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I just built my own.

All HD parts right from the catalog. However, most of mine came from craigslist.

stock RK windshield
stock outer fairing
stock inter fairing
stock glove box
stock gauge plugs (not the speedo and tack, those the wife made)

Lots of trimming to the windshield and inner/outer fairings and presto!

Amp sits on top of the glove box for the iPod and use stock freebee speakers.

I have about $500 into it, and it looks pretty stock.

Attached Thumbnails Road King aftermarket fairing-07-29-09_1721.jpg   Road King aftermarket fairing-07-29-09_1724.jpg  
Old 10-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I (Woody) appreciate the feedback. It was a really hard decision to offer oval or not. When I did my first audio fairing years back (for a different company) I fought hard for a 4 speaker one because using only 2 speakers leaves half the power of most head units wasted, and round speakers have the best sound reproduction. 6 x 9s will give you more bass, but sitting so close to the speakers keeps you from hearing it as well as the bike behind you can. "back in the day" 40-45w per channel was considered awesome, now its more like 50-55w. Good to know that you are getting good sound with a pair of 6x9s. There are high end radios that can be changed from 4 to 2 speaker mode to go from 4x50 to 2x100 or you can add an amp, but then the cost keeps going up. That said, it's good to know that I'm losing sales without a 2-speaker option and I'll have to give that some thought for the future. My current H-D version fairings will take a pair of 4" x 10" ovals so I suppose folks could go that route. Again, I appreciate the feedback

Last edited by Glenn W; 10-01-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Good to know that you are getting good sound with a pair of 6x9s. There are high end radios that can be changed from 4 to 2 speaker mode to go from 4x50 to 2x100 or you can add an amp, but then the cost keeps going up.
Just so you know, I'm not running just a head unit. There a 150 watt RMS!!!!! per channel amp in the fairing too. I think that's close to 300 watts peak and yes I can actually hear my stereo.

I may miss hearing some of the bass due to the stage one kit and the Jack Pot mufflers.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just so you know, I'm not running just a head unit. There a 150 watt RMS!!!!! per channel amp in the fairing too. I think that's close to 300 watts peak and yes I can actually hear my stereo.

I may miss hearing some of the bass due to the stage one kit and the Jack Pot mufflers.
Day-um, thas a little more oomph than a head unit Do you think there would have been enough sound with just the 6 x 9s and the Sony head unit for average use. many years ago I tested a pair if 5 x 8 with a 45w/ch head unit and it wasn't enough sound for me to want to sell. (still better'n a stock Street Glide )

Old 10-02-2010, 12:46 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

any marine stereo would work,there is hundreds of them.. i wish i had bought a king with the stereo fairing instead of my eg..looks a lot better

Old 10-02-2010, 10:01 AM
mdaycb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a fairing off of Ebay, with the 4 5" speakers, I bought some Polk Audio Speakers, and paired them with a Rockford Fosgate Head unit, with Ipod and USB hook ups, all was bought from Ebay, I am very happy with it, have no issues hearing it on the highway in traffic. I think I have about $500, into mine.

Quick Reply: Road King aftermarket fairing