Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   How to make your tourpak on your UltraClassic Quick Detachable! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/477270-how-to-make-your-tourpak-on-your-ultraclassic-quick-detachable.html)

peddler 02-15-2010 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by BigInjun (Post 6252374)
Thank you for going to the trouble to post this. Folks like you are what makes this forum one of the best on the net for guys like us. I will mark this and save it. Great job and Thank you again.

I couldn't have said it any better. Great job. Thank you for your willingness to share this info with the rest of us.

electra glide 02-15-2010 08:23 AM

Excellent. I bought a ultra tour pack to put on my standard and wanted to wre it up, this is how I'll do it.

peddler 02-15-2010 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by jsimo7 (Post 6250225)
Nice write up and photos help to understand. Another choice for the antenna wires for the CB and am/fm radio is to put the J&M in fairing antenna for the CB and the $21.00 AM/FM from ebay (the AM/FM works suprising well inside the fairing I get more stations than with the J&M short antenna on the T/P). It allows the antenna wires to be coiled, zip tied and placed in front of the battery out of the way and not plugged and unplugged with removal of the T/P. It also gives you use of both radios when in the solo mode. Thanks again for the write up

Very interested in the fairing mounted AM/FM antenna and CB antenna. Can anybody supply experience info/comparative data regarding the performance of each? The Eastern Perfomance web site says "will nearly equal the performance of your rear mounted CB antenna." Not interested in/trying to highjack this thread. PM me if that works better.

JMJOHN 02-15-2010 09:04 AM

peddler ,,,,,

full info at http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=43 ,,,,,,,

I can tell you this ,,,, I was personally involved in the design and testing of both the J&M FLEXPOWER in-fairing AM/FM/WB antenna & the in-fairing CB antenna ,,,,

the AM/FM/Weather band unit will give you about 80% of the reception ability of the tall stock antenna from Harley ,,, and about 90% of the reception ability of the J&M shorty rear mount antennas ,,,,, on all 3 bands including weather, which is the most difficult band for an in-fairing antenna to pick up ,,,,

as for the in-fairing CB antenna, during testing on a given day, which of course depends upon atmospheric conditions on any given day, I observed a maximum transmission distance of 1.6 miles for a properly tuned stock Harley long whip (near our shop in Tucson Arizona), and then 5 minutes later observed a maximum transmission distance of 1.2 miles, using the same bike, headset etc with the in-fairing CB antenna only ,,,,,,

that is what you can expect ,,,,,, which is not too bad for everything being built into the fairing ,,,,

in addition, if you DO keep the trunk attached for a portion of your riding, both FLEXPOWER antennas feature a Y cable system, in the fairing, that allows you to plug BOTH the in-fairing antenna and rear antenna together at the same time, so that when you remove the tail trunk, the in-fairing antennas are still in place and operating ,,,,,

peddler 02-15-2010 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by JMJOHN (Post 6255293)
peddler ,,,,,

full info at http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=43 ,,,,,,,

I can tell you this ,,,, I was personally involved in the design and testing of both the J&M FLEXPOWER in-fairing AM/FM/WB antenna & the in-fairing CB antenna ,,,,

the AM/FM/Weather band unit will give you about 80% of the reception ability of the tall stock antenna from Harley ,,, and about 90% of the reception ability of the J&M shorty rear mount antennas ,,,,, on all 3 bands including weather, which is the most difficult band for an in-fairing antenna to pick up ,,,,

as for the in-fairing CB antenna, during testing on a given day, which of course depends upon atmospheric conditions on any given day, I observed a maximum transmission distance of 1.6 miles for a properly tuned stock Harley long whip (near our shop in Tucson Arizona), and then 5 minutes later observed a maximum transmission distance of 1.2 miles, using the same bike, headset etc with the in-fairing CB antenna only ,,,,,,

that is what you can expect ,,,,,, which is not too bad for everything being built into the fairing ,,,,

in addition, if you DO keep the trunk attached for a portion of your riding, both FLEXPOWER antennas feature a Y cable system, in the fairing, that allows you to plug BOTH the in-fairing antenna and rear antenna together at the same time, so that when you remove the tail trunk, the in-fairing antennas are still in place and operating ,,,,,

Now that's the kind of data I was looking for!!!

Back to the original thread topic.........

UltraKla$$ic 02-15-2010 09:25 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback and compliments!

Any and all info pertaining to add to the convenience of this mod is more than welcome IMO.

Thanks John(J&M) for taking the time to add info to this thread.

elPrez 02-15-2010 02:29 PM

I have also heard of folks reversing the male/female plugs on left and right ie: tourpack left female to fender plug male and tourpack right male to fender female so if they are the same color you can't mix them up.

easycruzer 02-15-2010 03:24 PM

Thanks for all the great information. I have been putting this off because the cost of the dealer doing the job. I will do it myself now, this is a great help, thanks for the pictures and write up.
A couple of questions:

Was all the tour pack removal/mounting hardware from drag specialties as well, or just the electrical connectors?
How hard was the mechanical portion of changing over the mounts?

Do they have a single kit part number for everything?

Thanks,
Dave

peddler 02-15-2010 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic (Post 6249363)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...g?t=1266120625

*note* I had access to the $400 tool for this job but I wanted to see if the cheap Harbor Freight M-Crimper was a viable option for those that do not have access to the expensive tool and this crimper worked like a charm. Piece of cake!!

How long ago did you get the Harbor Freight M Crimp Tool? I stopped in today and couldn't find one. I can buy one online for $31.000 delivered. Was the Harbor Freight tool cheaper than that?

iclick 02-15-2010 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic (Post 6249363)
I've always been able to take my tourpak off my Ultra and convert to the StreetGlide look....

Shoulda just bought a freakin' Street Glide! Just kidding, great write-up. I need to buy some of those pliars. What does HF call them? I searched on "M-crimper" and got nothing. "Crimper" didn't reveal anything like you have in your photo.