Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dino oil vs syn and the importance of service records

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:08 AM
rking2000
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dino oil vs syn and the importance of service records

In Oct 2005 I bought a 2000 RK with 25,000 miles on the clock. The dealer said it had just been serviced and after a quick check of just the oil I figured the other 2 holes were taken care of as well. After looking at it off and on for a week and a test ride and a blessing from the wife, I bought it.
Now after asking the dealer ( before i bought it) what he knew about the bike he told me it was taken in on a trade and didn't know the history and I could call the previous owner.
Ok so I feel he's being honest,get the bike home and about a week I call the previous owner and he was less than helpful and no he kept no records,but told me he changed the oil when needed.
Now my oil question. I have run Amsoil and Mobil in it since my first oil change on it. What I'm wondering is am I pissing away good money on a high dollar synthetic when the first 25k I would about bet was just dino oil going in the holes. If there was any type of wear before hand is the syn going to prolong the motor or not? I change the oil every 3k.
The cam chain tensioners were shot at 32k and when the mech had it apart what you could see appeared clean,however I know thats not the whole motor I seen.
The bike has 43k on it now,and everything I do I WRITE it in my little book,just in case!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put what you like in it either dino or syn. Both are good changed at right intervals. Go ride it and enjoy it, it will be fine. Sounds like you have too much time to think and not enough time to ride. LOL

Old 03-05-2010, 09:45 AM
gibby122
Road Captain

...service records, whats that? LOL never kept'm, never will. my bike. I know what I need to do it to maintain it. Ive never asked for one cuz any1 can put anything they want in it at any time. And have never had anyone ask me for one on bikes Ive sold/traded in. I dont think Id be none too happy if some one called me out of the blue and started asking me questions about a bike I no longer owned. but thats just me.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:51 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

you are averaging about 4200 miles per year and with 3000 mile oil changes I wouldnt think the few extra bucks you spend on the Higher priced oil would break the bank if you choose to use it. I dont think the prior owner was under any obligation to provide you with service records or talk with you for that matter. Would it be nice to receive them, yes.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Spur56
Put what you like in it either dino or syn. Both are good changed at right intervals. Go ride it and enjoy it, it will be fine. Sounds like you have too much time to think and not enough time to ride. LOL
+1 You're over-thinking and stressing about what's really a non-issue. I've had many used bikes and have never concerned myself with what the previous owner used since I was going to run what I wanted anyway. Use what you want and change it at regular intervals.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:57 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,229 Likes on 2,470 Posts

to me it wouldn't matter if the previous owner did use dino oil for the first 25k miles. there is still a benefit to you to use synthetic oil. the improved temp reduction for 1.

imo, you are wasting your money by changing the oil every 3k, you can easily go the recommended 5k, esp with a good synthetic. but if it makes you feel good, go for it.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:58 AM
keeferfish
Tourer

What would it matter what the previous owner said anyway. Good or bad you own the bike. I’d just use whatever product you feel comfortable with. Myself DYNO but I probably change mine too much anyway.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 AM
usturbine
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have been using Dino and Various Syn oils for several years. I swithced to Amsoil 3 years ago.

Two benefits reduced oil consumption and my engines run cooler. I know this because I have oil temp gages in them. I change every 5000-6000 miles but could extend that to probably 7500. The reason I say that is I have noticed with the Amsoil it is almost as clear as fresh oil when i change it all other oils I have used have been dark brown to black in color. This tells me the reduced oil consumption has also helped prevent bypass contamination of the oil.

In reality as stated any oil is good as long as it is changed at the correct intervals.

I don't mind paying the extra for what i think works for me.

Dennis

Old 03-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Gofer
Cruiser

I have read SO MANY forum pages about types of oil used, benefits, how often it's changed....and I keep reading because I like to punish myself. Anyway, I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter what you use, as long as you use it, it's made for the application intended, and it's changed at some regularity.
Ride it, Service it, and Wash it......in that order and your good to go!

Old 03-05-2010, 11:09 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just change whatever oil you prefer at the given intervals and your good. As far as records, I think it's a good idea. I keep all my records, and think that it's a good selling tool. I feel better about buying used vehicles from an owner who maintains the vehicle and can show the record. IMO

Quick Reply: dino oil vs syn and the importance of service records