Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Ended!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:31 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear Ended!

How may of you have been hit while sitting at or stoppin for a light, stop sign etc, because the driver behind you said they did not "see" you brake light. Thinking about getting the brightasslights rear brake light.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:49 PM
fladawg01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in 1983 I had an old lady hit me twice when I stopped for an abulance. Needless to say the ambulance then stopped for me, but luckily I was alright. It happened at an intersection with a red light, she was behind me when the light turned green, but said she never saw the ambulance or heard the siren (all within 50 feet) so she had only about a ten foot start. She hit me the first time and I held the bike up, then hit me a second time. She fought the ticket with 2 attornies and lost. I never sued though I should have.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
How may of you have been hit while sitting at or stoppin for a light, stop sign etc, because the driver behind you said they did not "see" you brake light. Thinking about getting the brightasslights rear brake light.
Yep, 1991. Totaled the bike, broke two ribs and knees were sore for six months. I've been paranoid ever since and constantly watch my rear while stopped. Also added modulating brake lights and brighter LED's for better visibility.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:53 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fladawg01
Back in 1983 I had an old lady hit me twice when I stopped for an abulance. Needless to say the ambulance then stopped for me, but luckily I was alright. It happened at an intersection with a red light, she was behind me when the light turned green, but said she never saw the ambulance or heard the siren (all within 50 feet) so she had only about a ten foot start. She hit me the first time and I held the bike up, then hit me a second time. She fought the ticket with 2 attornies and lost. I never sued though I should have.
WOW! I dont think that light will fix that kind of stupidity.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:01 PM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fladawg01
Yep, almost the same thing happened to me. I stopped for an ambulance and an Accord rearended me. Blew me right out into the intersection. I woke up and the first things I saw were the boots of the paramedics. At least she only hit me once. This one didn't get off, though, I had the paramedics as witnesses. Also, the first LEO on the scene was a motor officer.

Last edited by NoBoldRider; 03-09-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:05 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

happend to a guy that was waiting on me to go by, car took him out it was somthing I wish not to see again. Kid said he never saw his break light. Ride safe

Old 03-09-2010, 10:08 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a thought from someone who has investigated accidents for about 27 years now. If you witness an accident, especially one at an intersection, and more especially if there is a traffic light involved, STOP and give a statement. It can make all the difference in the world, in the innocent party getting all that is coming to them. And don't forget, good deeds will always come back to you.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:30 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a firm believer in LED brake lights but in order for them to be seen the driver behind you has to be paying attention.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:13 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maintain a good distance between you and any vehicle stopped ahead of you and have an escape route so you have somewhere to go if someone's coming up behind you and isn't going to stop. It helps to stop lined up pointing diagonally to the left or right so you can go around the vehicle in front. Biker sandwiches are real ugly.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Dru
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just happened to me. Dude on a sport bike in a wheely did a 7-10 split between a buddy and me at a red light.

I got all kinds of pain in my back. Bike is in the shop. Never saw it coming.

Quick Reply: Rear Ended!